Author Topic: Cruz: I'm voting for Trump  (Read 128589 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Cruz: I'm voting for Trump
« Reply #1000 on: September 29, 2016, 12:08:13 am »
So you are not against making a politician your god.  You just don't want it to be Trump.  Got it.

I don't know what's happened to you but I hope you get over it real soon!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #1001 on: September 29, 2016, 12:11:47 am »
@Cyber Liberty
@musiclady
@Smokin Joe

Here's the thing.  As far as I know, and anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know of any RINOS in the Senate who are "throwing rocks" at Cruz for supporting Trump.  Haven't they pretty much all fallen in line with the GOP leadership, especially since Priebus sent down his little diktat?

Some in here are completely taking things out of context; he was specifically answering a question asked by Hewitt and in that answer he was referring to RINO's -- NOT HIS SUPPORTERS! 

If you want to rally against the one person who has stood for 'we the people' countless times against the Kingmakers and who saved our 2nd amendment rights over a misconstrued and contorted interpretation of what he actually said.  Go for it. It's not going to change one iota the dilemma that ALL those who are voting are facing.  We have five choices; Trump, Hillary,  Write-in, 3rd party or don't vote. 

I chose to stand with Cruz.  Don't stay home, vote your conscience and vote as conservatively as you can down ballot.

IMHO if we don't hold the Senate and lose seats in the House and Hillary is seated in the oval office, this country is done; and no that's not some scare tactic or threat, that is reality.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #1002 on: September 29, 2016, 12:16:23 am »
Some in here are completely taking things out of context; he was specifically answering a question asked by Hewitt and in that answer he was referring to RINO's -- NOT HIS SUPPORTERS! 

If you want to rally against the one person who has stood for 'we the people' countless times against the Kingmakers and who saved our 2nd amendment rights over a misconstrued and contorted interpretation of what he actually said.  Go for it. It's not going to change one iota the dilemma that ALL those who are voting are facing.  We have five choices; Trump, Hillary,  Write-in, 3rd party or don't vote. 

I chose to stand with Cruz.  Don't stay home, vote your conscience and vote as conservatively as you can down ballot.

IMHO if we don't hold the Senate and lose seats in the House and Hillary is seated in the oval office, this country is done; and no that's not some scare tactic or threat, that is reality.
Yes, the context in which Cruz offered his response is clear.

Criticize Cruz for endorsing Trump, fine. But some are flat seeking offense where none was intended here.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1003 on: September 29, 2016, 12:21:39 am »
He already is in the process of destroying Conservatism within the GOP.  He is rebranding, redefining and recategorizing what a 'Conservative' is.  Today it is said that a lifelong, NYC Democrat who funded and campaigned for the Clintons, the Schumers and the DeBlasios is 'Conservative'.

By 2018, Hillary could get away with calling herself a Conservative.

By 2020 - Marx and Engels will be regarded as the Fathers of modern Conservative thought.

It's just a political version of defining deviancy down and bastardizing the language so that what was once unacceptable, is now preferred.

Aside from the numbers of social media freaks who promise to roam the countryside and 'punish' (meaning shoot for treason) those of us who did not vote for Trump - I will let Trump's campaign Advisor answer that question for you:

"More importantly, every critic, every detractor will have to bow down to President Trump.”"]http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/omarosa-critics-bow-down-trump]"More importantly, every critic, every detractor will have to bow down to President Trump.”"
Exactly. Those who refuse to see the rebranding of "conservative" taking place, and with it "Republican" are being willfully blind to the facts.

Since when has it been acceptable to have a Republican candidate for POTUS who donated conspicuously to Democrats, especially some of the most rabid ones?

Newt was discarded as a candidate for his marital affairs, but Trump is OK?

When do we back someone who has such obvious contempt for women, based on nothing but their physical appearance? (Conservatism has a long heritage of being Chivalrous, is that so easily discarded?)

In past years, shady or questionable business dealings would have been investigated, not brushed aside by the wave of anger the candidate has harnessed.

Angry people do stupid things, and Trump has already damaged the GOP, conservative credibility, and caused the entire discussion of what is politically acceptable to take a couple of side steps to the Left, further away from the Constitution.

I can't support that, either. As for math functions being "reality" I think I'll go back to pondering the square root of negative one.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1004 on: September 29, 2016, 12:24:56 am »
Exactly. Those who refuse to see the rebranding of "conservative" taking place, and with it "Republican" are being willfully blind to the facts.

Since when has it been acceptable to have a Republican candidate for POTUS who donated conspicuously to Democrats, especially some of the most rabid ones?

Newt was discarded as a candidate for his marital affairs, but Trump is OK?

When do we back someone who has such obvious contempt for women, based on nothing but their physical appearance? (Conservatism has a long heritage of being Chivalrous, is that so easily discarded?)

In past years, shady or questionable business dealings would have been investigated, not brushed aside by the wave of anger the candidate has harnessed.

Angry people do stupid things, and Trump has already damaged the GOP, conservative credibility, and caused the entire discussion of what is politically acceptable to take a couple of side steps to the Left, further away from the Constitution.

I can't support that, either. As for math functions being "reality" I think I'll go back to pondering the square root of negative one.

"Get real."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Silver Pines

« Reply #1005 on: September 29, 2016, 12:35:12 am »
@libertybele

That's what I'm asking.  Who are the RINOS in the Senate who are objecting to Cruz supporting Trump?  I don't know of any.  And I don't think we have to yell at each other.

Oh, just stop with the "rallying against" stuff.  I've been one of the strongest Cruz supporters, but I don't qive unquestioned and unqualified support to anyone.  Even recognizing all the great things he's done and probably will do, he is not beyond criticism.  And I damned well do not like him praising Trump for a debate performance he knows was terrible.  He's disingenuous and he should be called on it.

I'm trying to figure this thing out.  I don't know of any in the Senate who are throwing rocks at him for backing Trump, as I thought they had all fallen into line with the GOP leadership. The only people voicing disapproval are his grassroots people, and others like Steve Deace, Matt Walsh, Ben Shapiro, Glenn Beck, etc.  None of those are "liberal Republicans."

I appreciate the advice.  That was my plan, in fact.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1006 on: September 29, 2016, 12:35:20 am »

If Cruz had made such a statement, denigrating the Conservatives who supported him, I'd see it as a sign his support was obtained under duress, not as brave as Jeremiah Denton blinking morse code for "torture' in front of the North Vietnamese cameras, but similar. I would think Cruz knows the supporters upset over the tepid endorsement of Trump are Conservatives who backed him, not the Liberal Republicans on The Hill.
I'll stick to my principles, and his actions will do more to state whether he is willing to fight for those, as he has in the past.
As for the Senate and House,  that is the importance of voting down ticket. My only concern is that with GOP control, will they even bother to fight Hillary on Party lines, or will those pikers cave to her like they have to Obama?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #1007 on: September 29, 2016, 12:47:33 am »
"...Every critic, every detractor, will have to bow down to President Trump....

Talk about not being serious....

In what universe do you take every stupid statement someone makes and accept it as fact?  If Omarosa said that Trump was going to sprout wings and fly to the Sun and back, would you accept that as fact?  Then why pass off as fact her asinine statement that everyone will have to "bow down" to Trump???

No, everyone will not have to bow down to Trump.  Nor will they have to bow down to Hillary either, for that matter.  That, at least, is well beyond the ability of either of them to enforce.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #1008 on: September 29, 2016, 12:53:04 am »
This appears to be the Big Quote under discussion:

I happen to disagree with that assertion, and I don't care if it came from Ted Cruz's own lips.  I'd hazard a guess that not one person on this forum "hated the fact that I have stood up to Washington and the Senate."  I think we were pretty unified in our support when he fought against Chinless McConnell.  Our opinions only diverged when he came out and said we gotta support Trump. 

It is flat-out inaccurate for him to say people who disagree with his Trump endorsement did not support him when he was fighting the GOP leadership.  It simply isn't true, and that's the biggest problem I have with his interview with Hugh.  What's another word for speaking an untruth?  What do we call someone who does it?

But he didn't say "people who disagree with his Trump endorsement did not support him when he was fighting the GOP leadership".  He said "the people who are throwing rocks".  Are you or I "throwing rocks"?  I'm guessing my personal ability to influence others' political opinions amounts to a little less than looking at a grain of sand through one squinted eye and hoping it will turn sideways.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1009 on: September 29, 2016, 01:02:37 am »
But he didn't say "people who disagree with his Trump endorsement did not support him when he was fighting the GOP leadership".  He said "the people who are throwing rocks".  Are you or I "throwing rocks"?  I'm guessing my personal ability to influence others' political opinions amounts to a little less than looking at a grain of sand through one squinted eye and hoping it will turn sideways.

Your personal ability matches mine.  My eye hurts now, thanks.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #1010 on: September 29, 2016, 01:03:26 am »

In what universe do you take every stupid statement someone makes and accept it as fact?  If Omarosa said that Trump was going to sprout wings and fly to the Sun and back, would you accept that as fact?  Then why pass off as fact her asinine statement that everyone will have to "bow down" to Trump???

No, everyone will not have to bow down to Trump.  Nor will they have to bow down to Hillary either, for that matter.  That, at least, is well beyond the ability of either of them to enforce.

Next thing you know, someone will tell us that Muslim radicals in a desert on the other side of the world pose a threat to thousands of Americans.

No once accepted as fact that a disowned sheik in Afghanistan posed any kind of threat when he declared 'war' on America in 1997.

It is the folly of people to discount evidence and warnings that ambitious and punishment-seeking movements are a dire threat.

"Intelligent" and "rational people" discounted the facts the Munich Post was publishing about Hitler's threats against the Jews and Europe as 'Totally ridiculous" too.

"never again" means we take people in a movement at their word when they make such asinine statements that are not immediately rejected by their leader.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

geronl

« Reply #1011 on: September 29, 2016, 01:04:26 am »

She apparently is a Trump campaign spokesperson. That makes the statement official.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1012 on: September 29, 2016, 01:08:56 am »
I'll bow down to either that wins. Just so I can pick up a rock.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #1013 on: September 29, 2016, 01:13:59 am »
Look folks - the fact that even ardent former supporters of Cruz are arguing over what he meant by his words on the Hugh Hewitt show are overlooking a major truth: and that is - Cruz himself has created an appearance of evil as it were.  It was his endorsement of Trump, followed by apologetics for Trump and interviews that are being interpreted as backstabbing and insulting that are sowing the confusion, disillusionment, discontent and aggravation that we are now throwing at one another.

CRUZ is responsible for that.    Not you, not me, none of of us here are responsible for how we interpret the words he spoke.  He went from saying 'vote your conscience' to 'we have a binary election, it's either Trump or Hillary'.  Then he made his statement about those who throw rocks. Regardless whom he was referring, he did not make himself clear at all - because he is couching his words in lawyerly, political speak.

None of this would be happening had he simply kept silent as he had up until he was given a 'talking to' by Reince and Pence.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Idiot

« Reply #1014 on: September 29, 2016, 01:48:07 am »
For the life of me I can't understand how everyone is getting their panties in a wad over this nothing burger........  Our country is going to hell in a hand basket and people are worried and parsing a few words uttered by a state senator.  Come on people...get over it.
 888ohnoes
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 01:50:56 am by mrpotatohead »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1015 on: September 29, 2016, 02:32:08 am »
For the life of me I can't understand how everyone is getting their panties in a wad over this nothing burger........  Our country is going to hell in a hand basket and people are worried and parsing a few words uttered by a state senator.  Come on people...get over it.
 888ohnoes

+1
Heh heh heh
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Silver Pines

« Reply #1016 on: September 29, 2016, 02:32:46 am »
I guess it's now a proven fact that you cannot support Trump without having to lie.

It's amazing.  Everyone who associates him- or herself with Trump is inevitably tarnished.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #1017 on: September 29, 2016, 02:38:51 am »
It's amazing.  Everyone who associates him- or herself with Trump is inevitably tarnished.

Gaze into the Abyss, the abyss gazes into you. So it was...so it will always be.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1018 on: September 29, 2016, 02:53:04 am »

Interesting how you quoted from my quote of @INVAR and credited it to me to respond to me. Go back and look at my unedited post, and find where I said that. Then go have a nice day.

I write enough on this forum I would think you can find something to butcher, reassemble into a strawman and hack up, but at least do me the courtesy of throwing my own comments back at me.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1019 on: September 29, 2016, 10:47:18 am »

I think that applies to every POTUS and/or candidate in the last period from HWB on up. Or down. Depending on how you look at it.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1020 on: September 29, 2016, 02:00:18 pm »
Interesting how you quoted from my quote of @INVAR and credited it to me to respond to me.

You quoted @INVAR and then said "Exactly".

I'll admit when I've screwed up in wrongly attributing something to someone, but I think for me to infer that your "Exactly" signified agreement with his statement was a reasonable inference.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #1021 on: September 29, 2016, 02:31:32 pm »

Kellyanne Conway is heading down the same path.  She was on Megyn Kelly last night, and you could see it in her eyes.  How silly it was, to think she could turn Donald into a serious adult.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 02:32:16 pm by cato potatoe »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1022 on: September 29, 2016, 03:19:04 pm »
She apparently is a Trump campaign spokesperson. That makes the statement official.

Regardless of whether or not it is "official", that doesn't make it true.

So many of your guys are playing embarrassingly dishonest rhetorical games.  A Trump supporter says something stupid, and everyone points at it to say "see what will happen if Trump becomes President!", regardless of whether the content of the statement is remotely plausible. 

"Trump supporters are going to hunt us down like dogs if we don't support him."

"We're all going to be forced to bow down to Trump if he wins the election."

You guys know such statements are ridiculous chest-thumping that don't reflect any kind of plausible reality, but you recoil in mock fear/horror anyway.  There have been some reasonable objections to voting for Trump articulated here and elsewhere.  But these kind of arguments are simply pathetic.

Silver Pines

« Reply #1023 on: September 29, 2016, 04:27:36 pm »
I think that applies to every POTUS and/or candidate in the last period from HWB on up. Or down. Depending on how you look at it.

@bigheadfred

It's different, though.  Everyone who places themselves in Trump's orbit is beclowned, and it happens quickly. 

Silver Pines

« Reply #1024 on: September 29, 2016, 04:28:47 pm »
Kellyanne Conway is heading down the same path.  She was on Megyn Kelly last night, and you could see it in her eyes.  How silly it was, to think she could turn Donald into a serious adult.

@cato potatoe

Sharp as she is, she should have known beforehand.