Author Topic: Republican friendships shatter over Trump  (Read 39649 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: Republican friendships shatter over Trump
« Reply #425 on: September 22, 2016, 05:31:08 pm »
Trump didn't write the story in the Miami Herald about Rafael Cruz, he commented on it. There's a big difference.

It's not like he made a pro-immigration speech during a Senate hearing that he later disavowed...
Saying the story in NE deserved a Pulitzer prize for their reporting on Raphael Cruz is a pretty healthy endorsement of the story.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline beandog

« Reply #426 on: September 22, 2016, 05:47:45 pm »
Trump didn't write the story in the Miami Herald about Rafael Cruz, he commented on it. There's a big difference.

It's not like he made a pro-immigration speech during a Senate hearing that he later disavowed...
You know what would be really bad.  If Cruz had invited the Beast to his third wedding, told us all not to long ago what great people the Clintons are and even said the Beast would be a great President, donated to Demonrats and Planned Parenthood, heartily supported abortion, etc.   Oh wait, that would be your guy.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #427 on: September 22, 2016, 07:04:19 pm »
This thread is starting looking like a lot of threads looked at TOS before JR made it a one-party state.  And I don't think anyone involved in those threads came out of them looking very good.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 07:04:46 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #428 on: September 22, 2016, 07:10:34 pm »
Well, at least it's not Coors, I'll give him that.
@Longmire

It's been 40 years since I've quaffed a Rainier. My entire outlook on beer changed when I landed in Germany in 1977. Damn, I got spoiled over there. It was cheaper to buy two litres of beer than a 6 oz glass of Coke.

Now, I pretty much stick to Shiner Bock, and other reputable Texas brews.

/thread hijack
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #429 on: September 22, 2016, 07:11:15 pm »
This thread is starting looking like a lot of threads looked at TOS before JR made it a one-party state.  And I don't think anyone involved in those threads came out of them looking very good.

I have avoided this thread because I didn't see it being very productive,  but when I saw your name as the last person who posted something,  I had to check in to see what you had to say.   

As usual,  you brought  the rational. 

Now everybody else,  back to your petty squabbling over trivialities. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #430 on: September 22, 2016, 07:21:47 pm »

I have avoided this thread because I didn't see it being very productive,  but when I saw your name as the last person who posted something,  I had to check in to see what you had to say.   

As usual,  you brought  the rational. 

Now everybody else,  back to your petty squabbling over trivialities. 

Agreed about "The Major" and we even had a call to zot someone above... is that really what you want?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #431 on: September 22, 2016, 07:33:00 pm »
I've been spending a lot of time with my liberal sister lately because she's the executor of my mom's estate so I bite my tongue about a lot of things but one thing we agree on is our disgust with Trump. Yesterday I had lunch with she and her boss. Her boss is an Oakland county Chaldean who says she's been voting republican since Reagan but Donald Trump has ended that run. She says the old reasonable suspicions about a middle easterners have become nasty, personal and threatening within the past year.

Until the GOP comes to its senses, she'll be voting libertarian or something.
Thanks for the anecdote, now to the news:

Trump, Sanders sweep Arab votes in Dearborn region

But the term “Arab” is deceiving. One of the largest communities is actually the Chaldean community, Iraqi Christians who identify with Arab Culture but not Arab heritage. They consider themselves as “non-Arab Middle East Christians.”

Chaldeans voted overwhelming for Trump who has vowed to take a strong approach to rising Islamic violence. Middle East Christians have become a major target of radical Islamic groups like al-Qaeda and ISIS,  which began appearing in Iraq after the American-led invasion of 2003 that removed Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein.

Read More At: http://thearabdailynews.com/2016/03/09/trump-sanders-sweep-arab-votes-dearborn-region/

:thumbsup:

Wingnut

« Reply #432 on: September 22, 2016, 07:34:53 pm »
Well, at least it's not Coors, I'll give him that.
@Longmire

Yeah but that Rainier beer...The stuff is like Fosters.  Wombat piss.  Not fit for human consumption.
I'd rather have someone pee in my mouth after they've just won an asparagus-eating contest than drink another can of R.

Side Bar: R-Day is Oct 22nd @lonemire

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #433 on: September 22, 2016, 07:58:17 pm »
Agreed about "The Major" and we even had a call to zot someone above... is that really what you want?

Pretty sure it was tongue-in-cheek.

Offline CSM

« Reply #434 on: September 22, 2016, 08:16:25 pm »

@TomSea - Just so you know, Dearborn, MI will go very strongly to Clinton.  It is an extremely solid D stronghold and it is why my vote never matters.  Luckily, that means I get to stay home this year!  I never voted with the hope that my vote would make any difference anyway, I usually do because there is a reason and it is my responsibility to participate....

I look forward to lounging around the house on 11/8 this time.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #435 on: September 22, 2016, 08:18:33 pm »

:laugh:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #436 on: September 22, 2016, 08:30:48 pm »

@DiogenesLamp @Weird Tolkienish Figure ,

Unfortunately, I don't think our Third Triumvirate has enough support among the Legions to take power.

A shame, really....

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:31:16 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #437 on: September 22, 2016, 08:34:06 pm »
@HoustonSam

A pro-Rubio PAC ran a coordinated attack ad encouraging Utah voters to choose Cruz?

I'll file that under things that didn't happen.

Otherwise, fair enough.
Liz Mair's Make America Awesome PAC was not pro-Cruz. They were pro-Rubio, and anti-Trump. No amount of your blathering will change that fact, nor the fact that the image was not obtained surreptitiously, but had been the cover image on GQ magazine, something (obviously) known to the Trumps well in advance of the campaign.

Which brings up the bottom line.

Why blame Cruz for an ad he didn't run...

for a picture he didn't take...

that was taken with the consent of the model, for profit...

and ran on the cover of a magazine with global circulation?

I think y'all Trumpsters are trying to make out like this is Cruz's fault, just like Trump did, to justify the unjustifiable and vicious attack on Heidi Cruz, a woman who had nothing to do with any of it.

Donny did a 'first strike' without finding out the facts (either that, or he knew the facts and did it anyway, even worse). When he found out the facts, he lied about them, then he doubled down and tried to shift blame onto the people he hit.

Try that from the oval office, with nukes, and the damage to America will be a lot more than reputation.

He is an unacceptable candidate for the job.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #438 on: September 22, 2016, 08:37:43 pm »
It just doesn't matter to you if someone lies does it?
There's an old part of the Cowboy code that says if its not true don't say it.
He ain't one to run the river with, if you catch my drift.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Longmire

« Reply #439 on: September 22, 2016, 09:07:27 pm »
@Smokin Joe The Cruz - Mahr - Fiorina connection has been well established and Rubio had already dropped out of the race when the online advertising aimed at Utah voters ran. You'd also have to be pretty dumb to think MAA wasn't pro-Cruz considering who was putting up their money, YMMV.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #440 on: September 22, 2016, 09:13:14 pm »
@Smokin Joe The Cruz - Mahr - Fiorina connection has been well established and Rubio had already dropped out of the race when the online advertising aimed at Utah voters ran. You'd also have to be pretty dumb to think MAA wasn't pro-Cruz considering who was putting up their money, YMMV.
You'd have to be pretty dumb not to think Trump was a Hillary supporter given the money he has put up.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #441 on: September 22, 2016, 10:01:38 pm »
My mileage does vary. "Little Marco" supporters were ticked off that they couldn't vote for Rubio, and Mair was definitely anti Trump, yet not pro-Cruz. Anti-Trump does not equal pro Cruz.

http://theresurgent.com/trump-threatens-heidi-cruz-over-tiny-liz-mair-pac-ad/

http://theresurgent.com/trump-threatens-heidi-cruz-over-tiny-liz-mair-pac-ad/

Unless you consider a thousand mouths repeating the same tired lie to constitute "well established", there is no 'well established' connection between Cruz and the ad. Cruz said "That's not one of ours.", in reference to the ad, and then Trump started the vicious attacks on Heidi.
    Donald J. Trump
    ✔
    @realDonaldTrump

Lyin' Ted Cruz just used a picture of Melania from a G.Q. shoot in his ad. Be careful, Lyin' Ted, or I will spill the beans on your wife!

Follow
    Liz Mair @LizMair

.@realDonaldTrump Hi Donald, I know you're really upset about that ad, but it was Make America Awesome's, not Ted Cruz's.
    9:08 PM - 22 Mar 2016

Not only was that pure, unadulterated crap, crossing lines of decency, but even more belies a serious character flaw. Trump desperately wanted Cruz to be behind the ad, so he lied about it after he attacked Heidi Cruz, then doubled down on that attack, even after the lack of association was apparent.

Wanting something to be a fact does not make it so, nor does propagating a lie justify an unwarranted and unjustifiably vicious attack. It is a JV game is a serious world that plays for keeps.
He might get away with it in the primaries, here, but parts of the world see things in black and white and they play for keeps.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 10:07:00 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #442 on: September 22, 2016, 11:19:03 pm »
@skeeter What Cruz did to Dr. Carson in Iowa was dirty campaigning, in case you've forgotten.

Every so often a comment makes one stop and shake their head because it is so "out there". One can only shake their head and try to think how to respond without calling the offender names that instantly flood any sane person's mind.

I so very tire of this repeated lie. Cruz had a huge ground game in Iowa, some tried to rightfully capitalize on the CNN report which was released by a careless Carson person to a CNN reporter. The Cruz people are not to blame and actually despite what Cruz said, no, in the heat of battle they really didn't have to bother to clarify CNN's mistake later on.

Blame: First Carson, Second CNN, then CNN again. Then Trump for using it as fodder. Then Carson for letting Trump use it as false bait without correcting that the whole thing was started by his own campaign's inability to handle it professionally in the first place. Then Carson using it as a way to continue his campaign on the thin hope that playing "the victim" would let him get a few more miles out of a dying campaign.

Carson got played like a fiddle and is still playing the role of butt kisser to Trump. Painfully so at times.

I don't know who has been shown to be more of a paid actor this election, Palin, Carson, FR, and a couple of posters at the Briefing Room?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:56:12 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #443 on: September 22, 2016, 11:40:11 pm »
It's been 40 years since I've quaffed a Rainier. My entire outlook on beer changed when I landed in Germany in 1977. Damn, I got spoiled over there. It was cheaper to buy two litres of beer than a 6 oz glass of Coke.

Now, I pretty much stick to Shiner Bock, and other reputable Texas brews.

/thread hijack

I don't even know if Ranier or Coors are even around anymore. I don't drink enough to worry about. But when I do, it's normally PBR. No need for me to be pretentious.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #444 on: September 22, 2016, 11:44:57 pm »
I actually believe that Carson was getting ready to drop out at that point.  I think after the news got out the Donald gave Carson a buzz on the phone and convinced him to stay in to make Cruz look bad.  I believe that's how Carson got the funds to continue on for as long as he did.  Notice how Carson and the Donald are all buddy buddy now, even though tRump said some really horrible things about him.

Yep, I don't know about receiving funds, but something was worked out between T&C because Trump needed Carson bad to help him skim off votes in future elections. Carson was told to play the victim card and good things would befall him in some fashion. Carson likes the attention, evident when the next debate rolled out and Carson just stood there like an idiot grabbing camera time at the entrance while other candidates walked past him. Didn't hear my butt, it was planned IMHO by Carson and Trump. Almost like some pro-wrestling PR trick. They were bosom buddies from that point on.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:46:16 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #445 on: September 22, 2016, 11:48:43 pm »

Yeah but that Rainier beer...The stuff is like Fosters.  Wombat piss.  Not fit for human consumption.
I'd rather have someone pee in my mouth after they've just won an asparagus-eating contest than drink another can of R.

Side Bar: R-Day is Oct 22nd @lonemire

I don't recall it being all that bad... But then, I was drinking it by the bucket-full at the time, and I might admit that taste was not my primary motive... Couldn't stand Coors or Michelob... Pretty much all the rest would do.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #446 on: September 23, 2016, 12:03:42 am »
Every so often a comment makes one stop and shake their head because it is so "out there". One can only shake their head and try to think how to respond without calling the offender names that instantly flood any sane person's mind.

I so very tire of this repeated lie. Cruz had a huge ground game in Iowa, some tried to rightfully capitalize on the CNN report which was released by a careless Carson person to a CNN reporter. The Cruz people are not to blame and actually despite what Cruz said, no, in the heat of battle they really didn't have to bother to clarify CNN's mistake later on.

Blame: First Carson, Second CNN, then CNN again. Then Trump for using it as fodder. Then Carson for letting Trump use it as false bait without correcting that the whole thing was started by his own campaign's inability to handle it professionally in the first place. Then Carson using it as a way to continue his campaign on the thin hope that playing "the victim" would let him get a few more miles out of a dying campaign.

Carson got played like a fiddle and is still playing the role of butt kisser to Trump. Painfully so at times.

I don't know who has been shown to be more of a paid actor this election, Palin, Carson, FR, and a couple of posters at the Briefing Room?

The truth is irrelevant in this day and age when the narrative has been set by True Believers.

You are watching a political version of Ferguson and the 'Gentle Giant' being gunned down by white cops because he was black, same as the guy in Charlotte is said to have been killed for simply reading a book while black, even when there is ample evidence to show the lie being promoted is totally bogus.  Nevermind all the evidence pointing to the contrary.

Same as everyone claiming Trump is more Conservative that Reagan, or that he ran a squeaky clean primary campaign.

It doesn't matter when there is a political war being waged - because the truth is always the first victim, and this people in this country today are the epitome of Isaiah 30:10.  The lie is preferred, even when it is demonstrably false.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 12:05:14 am by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #447 on: September 23, 2016, 12:18:27 am »
The truth is irrelevant in this day and age when the narrative has been set by True Believers.

You are watching a political version of Ferguson and the 'Gentle Giant' being gunned down by white cops because he was black, same as the guy in Charlotte is said to have been killed for simply reading a book while black, even when there is ample evidence to show the lie being promoted is totally bogus.  Nevermind all the evidence pointing to the contrary.

Perhaps the pro-Cruz crowd should adopt "Hands up, don't shoot!" as the immediate response to repeated lies about Cruz.
James 1:20

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #448 on: September 23, 2016, 12:25:51 am »
You pro-Trump people have a legitimate case that we pro-Cruz types continue to attack Trump.  It's because you insult our intelligence by maintaining that Trump has the slightest shred of respectability, credibility, or intelligence, and by continuing your jihad against Cruz when he hasn't even been in the race for months.  If you think Trump is better than Hillary then more power to you in voting for him, but don't expect us to sit silently when we hear, or read, sermons about Trump's virtue or capabilities and continued attacks on Cruz for faults both real and imaginary.  On the other hand if you simply argue that you feel that Trump is better than Hillary in spite of his faults and you leave Cruz out of it, as a few others do here, you'll get no fight from me.

@HoustonSam

This was so good, it needed to be repeated -- and bolded. Let's see if Trump supporters can grasp what you said.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #449 on: September 23, 2016, 12:27:57 am »
Fortunately I have classy intelligent friends who would have never considered voting for a reality TV clown in the first place.