Author Topic: American Voters Need An Intervention (It's not the politician. It's YOU, dear voter)  (Read 1825 times)

Offline sinkspur

https://thebuckleyclub.com/american-voters-need-an-intervention-9448b8315183

American Voters Need An Intervention

Avi Wolff

At some point, we need to say the truth: It’s not the politicians. It’s you, dear voter.

Blaming Washington and the “elites” has always been fashionable sport in American politics, but it seems to have gone into overdrive this year. Confounded by the nomination of Trump and the seemingly inexorable rise of angry populism, pundits seem beside themselves to explain, justify, and excuse the nomination of this “disaster” of a nominee. For that, they’ve many targets: Washington, Wall Street, the “elites,” the ivory tower — everyone, it seems, except the American voter.

One common claim, for instance, is that the “politicians don’t listen to us.” This argument is absurd on its face. Politicians are elected and re-elected by convincing a majority of voters to choose them on polling day. That doesn’t happen without paying attention to what their constituents are saying and thinking: on the air, in calls and letters, in polls and other elections. Politicians can be and are attentive to what their voters want, for their own political survival if nothing else.

The problem is that the American voter often wants different things, often contradictory things, and often at the same time. Lower taxes and more entitlements but less debt. Lower regulation in one area and more in another. Protectionism for American products and a lower cost of living. An end to “welfare” but more Social Security (yes, Social Security is welfare) and Medicare. Pro-immigration and anti-immigration depending on how much it affects them for good or ill. Moreover, for every American voter who thinks one way about a subject, there is likely another American voter who thinks differently and is just as much a constituent of your average politician.

This leaves politicians in a serious conundrum. Even if they didn’t have to deal with lobbyists (who help them win over constituents) and interest groups (organized voters with specific interests) there is simply no way they can satisfy all these different demands which come from the American voter, even if there weren’t other problems like the damage such demands could cause and the rules of mathematics. Even if pure saints were sent to Washington every election, the American voter would still be frustrated with Washington — and unjustifiably so, for the fault lies with him.

Politics is Not Magic

Even worse that the schizophrenic nature of the American voter’s desires is his childish demand that everything “get done” now and his belief that it is only those bums on Capitol Hill who are stopping stuff from “getting done.” American voters are “tired of ideology” and just want to see some wizard go to Washington and solve everything, goes the cry. American voters “don’t care about the details,” it is said, they just want to “see things happen.”

This is nonsense on stilts and horribly irresponsible to boot. Even without the necessary negotiation and compromises every American voter seems to loathe but which are necessary to get politicians representing different and opposing constituents to pass bills, legislation (especially at its best!) is a complicated, slow process of careful reading, study, and pruning to make sure the cure isn’t far worse than the disease. Sometimes bills cannot be allowed to pass because they are destructive, sometimes the majority of the people are against whatever your pet project is, and sometimes Congress has other priorities that are genuinely more important than whatever cause you think will decide the country’s fate by tomorrow morning.

The American voter’s refusal to learn the basics of how his government works, how complex things really are, and what the general public thinks on the issue is not a virtue or something to be proud of — it is an embarrassing vice. Voters have a responsibility to inform themselves of all of this, and ten minutes of time a day on official websites would tell them everything they need to know. (And while we can and should blame right wing media outlets for misinforming voters, the ultimate responsibility lies with the willing consumers themselves).

There is no excuse whatsoever for ignorance in the age of the internet. All the necessary material to become reasonably informed is free and fairly easy to understand at the level of making a voting decision. You wouldn’t be caught dead buying a car, a house, or choosing a mate or a school for your kid with the same kind of lazy and proud know-nothingness with which you decide how to vote for national leaders who decide the country’s fate. You should care how things work so you can understand how hard it really is and how hard politicians really have it.

Vox Populi =/= Vox Dei

The American voters seem to think that because they are citizens and vote, they are not only part of the sovereign people which decides the fate of the nation but also a font of unique, infallible wisdom. This, too, is a dangerous illusion that needs to die.

American voters are no less human and fallible than the people they send to govern at all levels — local, state, and federal. They all have their own prejudices, biases, and often a glaring lack of knowledge on important matters. Their belief that every exact position they hold commands the support of a majority of the rest of American voters is rarely, if ever correct. Their understanding of other American voters is far more often based on selective TV coverage, statistics, or punditry than actual human contact, regardless of whether they are on the right or left.

The belief that the American people are inherently and consistently wise in their voting decisions has no serious basis. Look at the record of American elections from the president on down from the founding until now and you will see that America’s record is at best mixed. They have elected great presidents, mediocre presidents, bad presidents, and horrible presidents. This is true of every period in American history, from the time only white men had the right to vote down to the present day when a racially diverse group of men and women do.

A lot of people like to blame the two-party system for this. They are wrong. For a start, parties want to get their people elected, and even the “smoke-filled rooms” debated getting people nominated they thought “the people” — i.e., the American voter — would want. Even if we set that aside, European democracies, which have a variety of methods from first-past-the-post to proportional representation, have had no greater success with “the people” uniformly electing the best despite more party options and more control of the government in a parliamentary regime.

Time to Become Truly Virtuous Citizens

It’s past time that the American voters stopped pretending they are entirely powerless and blameless for the current situation. Ultimately, in a democracy, the people are the ones who determine the fate of the nation. And the people must look hard at themselves and work on their own virtue and responsibility to be informed, sober, and realistic voters. Be cognizant of the needs and demands of your fellow citizens, and of the enormous task politicians face in handling the flood of impossible, crazy, contrasting, and often maddening demands voters place on them.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Frank Cannon

This guy is beyond a professional moron and fake intellectual. He demonstrates it no better than at the end of this pablum.....

Ultimately, in a democracy, the people are the ones who determine the fate of the nation.

We don't live in a democracy.

HonestJohn

This guy is beyond a professional moron and fake intellectual. He demonstrates it no better than at the end of this pablum.....

Ultimately, in a democracy, the people are the ones who determine the fate of the nation.

We don't live in a democracy.

Okay...

How's this:

Ultimately, in a Republic, the people are the ones who determine the fate of the nation, as they vote for the representatives.

Does it significantly change the meaning of this article in any way?

Offline Frank Cannon

Okay...

How's this:

Ultimately, in a Republic, the people are the ones who determine the fate of the nation, as they vote for the representatives.

Does it significantly change the meaning of this article in any way?

Try selling that to me after one clown or the other is chosen by the Electoral College as President, a clown I might add that probably wasn't chosen by an individuals vote in the Primary (depending on your state GOP rules), and the losing clown points to scraping the Electoral Collage because it corrupts the will of the people.

Parties pick the nominee and the College picks the winner of the General. No human contact involved.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Buckley's blog is idiotic, extreme leftwing and uses left wing facts.

per WeirdTolkenishFigure's remarks, absolutely correct, what's the big deal about whom we elect for 4 years in office, nothing is at stake, just our 1st and 2nd amendment rights, who will be made citizens, the very future of our country, and dealing with conservatives.

Real class, WTF came on a so-called Conservative forum to call Conservatives idiots, demean this very forum and liberals came out way better in his analysis.

Stay Classy WTF, glad the liberals got the easier treatment of that hate rant.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Trump is largely Reagan, Thatcher and Churchill rolled into one, Reagan was attacked in the exact same vile way.

Some of this is hyperbole but it serves right; noting the hate from the other side.

Offline Frank Cannon

This is a good article and a good reason why I'm trying to get out of the political scene of late.

If that's the case, you better find a 12 step program dude. Posting articles on a political forum shows your relapsing.

Offline Frank Cannon

Trump is largely Reagan, Thatcher and Churchill rolled into one, Reagan was attacked in the exact same vile way.

Some of this is hyperbole but it serves right; noting the hate from the other side.

Peek a boo.....

“Buchanan winks at barbarism in his new book, There is no other way to describe his views. Buchanan argues that we should have ignored Hitler’s rampage to Eastern Europe during World War II. Hitler meant us no harm, Buchanan says. The same man who argued forcefully — and in my opinion correctly — that we should not give an inch during the Cold War is now saying in effect that Hitler should have been appeased."

“Buchanan has enjoyed a long psychic friendship with Hitler, whom he has called ‘an individual of great courage, a soldier’s soldier and a leader steeped in the history of Europe, He also warns his followers that the United States is controlled by Jews, especially regarding foreign policy. On slow days, he attacks gays, immigrants, welfare recipients, even Zulus. When cornered, he says he’s misunderstood.Buchanan is rewriting history and spreading fear for one purpose: To gain political power. That makes him a very dangerous man.”

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
If that's the case, you better find a 12 step program dude. Posting articles on a political forum shows your relapsing.

In 2012 I was invested in the election to an unusual degree. When Obama won I felt almost personally defeated. Maybe i needed to get a grip you might say and you'd be right no doubt.

This time around though, I just find myself not caring so much. I'm not a Trump fan despite saying I would vote for him.

I did all I could in March and April, or at least advocated all I could to not get him elected. Nothing I did mattered. Twice, in a row (continuing from the 2012 election).

I'm obviously out of touch with the electorate, right?

I don't really see the benefit to posting online about politics except as a way to vent. I deleted my original comment because I did attack the forum and I don't agree with that. People have been nice here...

It's just when I see conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory, hyperbolic, click-bait articles, can you blame me for being a little jaded with the "online political advocacy scene"?

Offline DB

In 2012 I was invested in the election to an unusual degree. When Obama won I felt almost personally defeated. Maybe i needed to get a grip you might say and you'd be right no doubt.

This time around though, I just find myself not caring so much. I'm not a Trump fan despite saying I would vote for him.

I did all I could in March and April, or at least advocated all I could to not get him elected. Nothing I did mattered. Twice, in a row (continuing from the 2012 election).

I'm obviously out of touch with the electorate, right?

I don't really see the benefit to posting online about politics except as a way to vent. I deleted my original comment because I did attack the forum and I don't agree with that. People have been nice here...

It's just when I see conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory, hyperbolic, click-bait articles, can you blame me for being a little jaded with the "online political advocacy scene"?

We can only do something about those things we have some control of. We cannot be held accountable for those things we have no control of. Those things we have no control of we simply have to let go of so they don't consume us. In some ways "bitching" about those things is a way to let go making clear one is not complicit in what is clearly coming.

Just my 2 cents...