Author Topic: Ivankacare is a Terrible Idea  (Read 2632 times)

Offline sinkspur

Ivankacare is a Terrible Idea
« on: September 15, 2016, 04:41:16 pm »

http://theresurgent.com/ivankacare-is-a-terrible-idea/?utm_content=buffer83631&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Ivankacare is a Terrible Idea

By Erick Erickson  |  September 15, 2016, 12:00pm

Republicans have finally crossed over into cults of personality, rejecting sound ideas. In the past forty-eight hours, numerous Republicans have come out in favor of Ivankacare, the big government entitlement offering government paid maternity leave.

The idea was wrong when President Obama proposed it. It is wrong now that Donald Trump is proposing. When your argument is “at least he is not Clinton” and your candidate supports an increase in the minimum wage, Hillarycare style healthcare, and now Ivankacare, your argument cannot really be taken seriously.

What we are seeing is a bevy of Republicans and alleged conservatives abandon the principles they once claimed to believe in because Donald Trump is the nominee. If your idea was good yesterday, it should still be good today. And if Barack Obama’s paid maternity leave plan was bad last year, Donald Trump’s is bad this year.

In December, the number of Republicans who still have integrity is going to be pretty slim. Ivankacare is the Trump equivalent of Bush’s prescription drug benefit. That just so happens to be one of the often cited Bush initiatives that has Trump supporters fired up. Bush’s big government spending betrayed these voters so they are going to rally behind a big government spender.

The whole thing is embarrassing. What we are seeing is that many so-called conservatives are really just water carriers for a political party craving access to power. The ideas are just camouflage to cover up what hacks they really are.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 04:41:43 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Ivankacare is a Terrible Idea
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 04:49:25 pm »
Ivankacare. I love that. I also love reading all the tweets from Hannity and Ingraham slamming Obama for the same proposal just a couple years ago.

Offline beandog

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 04:56:38 pm »
Ivankacare. I love that. I also love reading all the tweets from Hannity and Ingraham slamming Obama for the same proposal just a couple years ago.

Yes, but this is better and more fantastic, don't you know that. :silly:

Offline beandog

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 04:58:29 pm »
It is hard to keep up with what we are supposed to love and hate.  That is unless we drink the cult of personality Kool-Aid.  Then we would be issued our tights, letter jackets and pompoms and be told when to cheer and boo.
Just cheer everything the Donald says or does and you'll be fine.  No need to think. :laugh: ****sheep****

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 05:05:28 pm »
Yes, but this is better and more fantastic, don't you know that. :silly:

Ok, I'll say it now. Those who disagree with me can bookmark it, to throw it back to me at every opportunity. I've made plenty of dumb mistakes over the past 62 years, and this may be one of them.

Here it goes: if Trump does manage to win, the Congress will revert to Democrat control after the 2018 mid-terms. Why? Trump's propensity to change his positions to make deals will dispirit most of his ardent supporters.

TEA Partiers and other conservatives will not lift a finger to support those running with an R after their names. There will be retribution at the ballot box for those whose overriding principle during the 2016 campaign has been "everything's ok if it keeps Hillary out of the White House."

Usually mid-terms are low turnout, 2018 may set records for disinterest.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 05:07:08 pm »
Aand it won't cost anything.  Only Democrat "free stuff" costs.  Republican free stuff is free because the Wizard of Trump will make it so.

No, it will be because the Wizard of Trump will wave his magic wand and turn dollars from fraud into amazing benefits to the citizenry.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 05:23:57 pm »
No, it will be because the Wizard of Trump will wave his magic wand and turn dollars from fraud into amazing benefits to the citizenry.

What would you like President Trump to do with the dollars from fraud? @Night Hides Not

Offline beandog

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 05:31:12 pm »
EI think he should wave that magic want and pay off the debt...you know, the cost of all that past "free" stuff.
[/quote]
Do you think you could get him to wave his magic wand and pay off my debt?  Of course, some of my debt is because I pay so much in taxes to pay for all the "free" stuff that it's harder to pay my own bills.

The funny thing is a year ago I moved down to Long Beach, MS from Bethesda, MD thinking surely a "red" state would tax me less that a "blue" state.  Boy was I wrong.  Turns out republicans like taxing and spending just as much as democrats.  I'm just getting less for my taxes here than I did in MD.  MS taxes you for every damn thing you do.  The only thing cheaper here is housing.  It has been an eye opener.

Offline beandog

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 05:33:26 pm »
What would you like President Trump to do with the dollars from fraud? @Night Hides Not
How about he cuts taxes for everybody with the "dollars from fraud" instead of giving more benefits to a select few?

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 05:33:45 pm »

Reduce the deficit? Or is that too much to ask for?

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 05:35:25 pm »
How about he cuts taxes for everybody with the "dollars from fraud" instead of giving more benefits to a select few?

Just my opinion, but the requirements for this new program will likely necessitate the use of professional tax preparers, thus eating up most of the potential savings.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 05:37:07 pm »
Aand it won't cost anything.  Only Democrat "free stuff" costs.  Republican free stuff is free because the Wizard of Trump will make it so.

What Trump and new Government Family Care Executive Ivanka said, is, waste and fraud will be cut out of programs so this new program is totally paid for.  :facepalm:

Economics 101 - if you have no money except for borrowing it (see our many trillion dollar borrowing chart on line somewhere), no new program is paid for - you keep going further into the hole.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 05:43:39 pm »

Give them the f back to the people that paid them.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 05:44:50 pm »

Considering all departments are running high deficits, the first thing it would do (and probably not even cut into that) would be to bring the over-spending closer to balance. It wouldn't create any surplus to spend, that's for sure.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 05:48:49 pm »
Give them the f back to the people that paid them.

This discussion is reminding me of a montage I heard on the radio yesterday, a "man on the street" interview posing a question on suspending the Bill of Rights. I'm sure there were many that vehemently disagreed with that idea, but there were plenty that supported it. It was embarrassing to listen to.

If Trump or Hillary were to suggest such an idea, I wonder what percent of their supporters would agree to it?

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 05:49:25 pm »
Pay it down towards the debt. Oh, too bad according to Trump now is the time to borrow even more. Heh who cares. He's old, he won't be around by the time my kids and grand kids have to deal with it.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 05:55:13 pm »
That the Federal government doesn't even have constitutional authority to this seems to get lost among those arguing for this.

geronl

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 07:51:22 pm »
The same supporters of the Trump Plan were bashing Obama for a quite similar idea last year. hilarious

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 08:34:26 pm »
That the Federal government doesn't even have constitutional authority to this seems to get lost among those arguing for this.

How 'bout that.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 08:44:04 pm »

That surprises you?

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 11:45:22 am »
That surprises you?
In the general public, no, that does not surprise me.
Here at TBR, yes, I am surprised by it, a little.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 11:52:58 am »
The same supporters of the Trump Plan were bashing Obama for a quite similar idea last year. hilarious

Indeed
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 11:54:40 am »
In the general public, no, that does not surprise me.
Here at TBR, yes, I am surprised by it, a little.

Same with many in talk radio that would be shouting opposition from the rooftops in normal circumstances
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 12:03:01 pm »

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything. :shrug: