Author Topic: Alt-Right Leaders: We Aren’t Racist, We Just Hate Jews  (Read 55000 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Alt-Right Leaders: We Aren’t Racist, We Just Hate Jews
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2016, 07:52:00 pm »
"Common American usage has made the term somewhat synonymous with "Jewish", but first and foremost, it describes a language group."

Bless your heart.
Bless Merriam Webster.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2016, 07:56:24 pm »
Into what category would the illustrious Patrick J Buchanan fall?

I have been pondering that question myself for quite awhile.    I don't believe the accusations that he is anti-Jewish,   and I happen to know he campaigned for J.C. Watts from Oklahoma back in the 1990s,   (Black Republican who won his congressional seat)  so I doubt he is anti-black.   

Pat Buchanan catches a lot of flack for his Anti-Israel commentary,   and I've never really understood why he is against supporting Israel.   It is unusual to see a religious conservative  taking an anti-Israel position.   

But I don't think he hates Jews.   I believe i've read articles from several of his Jewish friends which assert in no uncertain terms that he does not hate Jews.   

Still,  he is an odd sort of fellow in a lot of ways. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2016, 07:57:13 pm »
Interesting, but what does that have to do with my comments?
My point was that being anti-Jewish does not make one antisemitic, simply because the sentiments of the person who harbors animus toward Jewish people may not incorporate Arabs as well. The term "antisemitic" as used to describe hatred for Jewish people is a misnomer, despite common usage to indicate that, because Semitic people often include the groups who harbor animus toward Jews. It may be appropriate when describing the alt-right, who apparently like neither group.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 07:58:53 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2016, 08:12:40 pm »
The Alt right movement is real and it is growing. We have numerous members here on our forum unabashedly posting using Alt right terminology. Trumpism has changed discerning conservatives into anything is all right as long as we win people.

Bingo.  That's why it's so important to repudiate Trumpism, even if it means a Clinton presidency.  Conservatism cannot survive as a respectable philosophy if it's harnessed to the racists and bigots. 

The best thing Trump can do it to reject by name the support of these arseholes.  Barring that, the best thing the rest of us can do is reject Trump.     
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:14:04 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2016, 08:20:21 pm »
My point was that being anti-Jewish does not make one antisemitic, simply because the sentiments of the person who harbors animus toward Jewish people may not incorporate Arabs as well. The term "antisemitic" as used to describe hatred for Jewish people is a misnomer, despite common usage to indicate that, because Semitic people often include the groups who harbor animus toward Jews. It may be appropriate when describing the alt-right, who apparently like neither group.

@Smokin Joe, yes, the point I was getting at is, that regardless of the technical meaning of the term "semitic", it is solely to describe Jews except in obscure ethnographic or linguistic articles.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2016, 08:30:57 pm »
@Smokin Joe, yes, the point I was getting at is, that regardless of the technical meaning of the term "semitic", it is solely to describe Jews except in obscure ethnographic or linguistic articles.

I think the word you are looking for is "vernacular."   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Half Vast Conspiracy

« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2016, 08:31:45 pm »

Trump could do himself a lot of good if he gave a speech denouncing these groups, by name.

@sinkspur He could also deny beating his wife.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2016, 08:47:37 pm »
From what little I have seen of alt-right propaganda (much of that dated back to commentary on a much copied videotape of Federal actions at Ruby Ridge, apparently shot by a local who was a Separatist), the difference is semantic anyway. They just don't like anyone who isn't them. That includes orientals, blacks, and American Indians as well.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2016, 08:50:34 pm »
From what little I have seen of alt-right propaganda (much of that dated back to commentary on a much copied videotape of Federal actions at Ruby Ridge, apparently shot by a local who was a Separatist), the difference is semantic anyway. ...

Exactly!

HonestJohn

« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2016, 09:08:08 pm »
Semitic is actually a language group. From :http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Semitic

By the most common definition, for an Arab to be anti-Semitic, they would have to be self loathing as well.

Common American usage has made the term somewhat synonymous with "Jewish", but first and foremost, it describes a language group.

The term "antisemitism" was coined by Moritz Steinschneider in his responses to Ernest Renan in the 1850s.  It was popularized by Germans in the 1870s as a scientific-sounding term for Judenhass ("Jew-hatred").

Only since the 1990s has this term been targeted by neo-Nazis and Arabists to include Arabs into the definition, in order to dilute and confuse the meaning.

Here's the Wikipedia entry:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism

HonestJohn

« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2016, 09:10:37 pm »

I have been pondering that question myself for quite awhile.    I don't believe the accusations that he is anti-Jewish,   and I happen to know he campaigned for J.C. Watts from Oklahoma back in the 1990s,   (Black Republican who won his congressional seat)  so I doubt he is anti-black.   

Pat Buchanan catches a lot of flack for his Anti-Israel commentary,   and I've never really understood why he is against supporting Israel.   It is unusual to see a religious conservative  taking an anti-Israel position.   

But I don't think he hates Jews.   I believe i've read articles from several of his Jewish friends which assert in no uncertain terms that he does not hate Jews.   

Still,  he is an odd sort of fellow in a lot of ways.

You should take a gander at Buckley's work here:

https://www.amazon.com/Search-Anti-Semitism-William-F-Buckley/dp/0826405835

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2016, 09:23:07 pm »
You should take a gander at Buckley's work here:

https://www.amazon.com/Search-Anti-Semitism-William-F-Buckley/dp/0826405835

It would be more helpful if it was not something I had to buy in order to read it.   Did Buckley specifically mention Pat Buchanan in that book?   

I used to read Pat Buchanan's columns back in the 1980s and 1990s,  and he generally seemed pretty reasonable at the time. 

You could see that he didn't like supporting Israel,   but I don't recall him having ever said anything derogatory about Jews in any of the articles he wrote.   

My best friend in high school was a black democrat,  and he *HATED*  Israel.    I never got his reasoning on that either.     It seemed irrational.    At least I converted him into a big second amendment supporter.  :) 

As for me,  this pretty much sums up my feelings regarding Israel.

— Lord Melbourne —

HonestJohn

« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2016, 09:38:44 pm »

It would be more helpful if it was not something I had to buy in order to read it.   Did Buckley specifically mention Pat Buchanan in that book?   

I used to read Pat Buchanan's columns back in the 1980s and 1990s,  and he generally seemed pretty reasonable at the time. 

You could see that he didn't like supporting Israel,   but I don't recall him having ever said anything derogatory about Jews in any of the articles he wrote.   

My best friend in high school was a black democrat,  and he *HATED*  Israel.    I never got his reasoning on that either.     It seemed irrational.    At least I converted him into a big second amendment supporter.  :) 

As for me,  this pretty much sums up my feelings regarding Israel.

Buckley specifically points out Buchanan in this.

The point wasn't for you to buy it.  But to read the synopsis about the book provided at the link.

Another:  http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0308/tobin030508.php3

Bill Buckley and the Jews

March 3, 2008
Jonathan Tobin

Was there any major American personality in the last half-century who seemed more remote from the sensibilities of most American Jews than William F. Buckley?

Buckley, who passed away last week at the age of 83, was the fervent Catholic patrician whose work helped create the modern American conservative movement in the 1950s at a time when nothing could have been more removed from the thinking of most Jews in this country than his National Review.

Though much has changed in the 53 years since NR’s debut, given that most Jews are still, at the very least, reliable supporters of the Democrats, if not hard-core liberals, its likely that most of them noted the passing of Buckley without emotion.

After all, Buckley's eccentric mid-Atlantic accent, his cheerful intellectual snobbery symbolized by his delight in $10 words where simple ones would have served just as well, his lavish lifestyle (skiing at Gstaad and sailing on the high seas), as well as his rock-solid conservative politics are not the sort of things that most Jews identify with.

SETTING THE STAGE

A chorus of commentators have rightly extolled his influence, gentlemanly grace toward his opponents and literary virtuosity as an essayist and novelist. His "Firing Line" television program was the granddaddy of all the political talk shows that have followed (though none have been as thoughtful or fair). It was he who made it clear that the expression "conservative intellectual" was not an oxymoron and inspired countless young writers to try to emulate him.

But there is one other aspect of his amazing career that deserves mention. It is the fact that as much as any other person, Bill Buckley cleared the way not only for a conservative movement where Jews would be welcomed, but that it was his leadership that set the stage for an American politics in which anti-Semitism was confined to the fever swamps of the far right and far left.

As conservative columnist George Will has written, without National Review, which Buckley started in 1955, much of what followed in American politics - including Barry Goldwater's capture of the Republican nomination for president in 1964 and then the electoral victories of Ronald Reagan and the Republican takeover of Congress in 1994 - is unimaginable. American conservatism as we have known it, with all of its subsequent ups and downs, has its origins in the pages of that magazine in which its editor helped create a coherent movement out of what had previously been a loose array of cranks.

In order to give life to that movement, Buckley specifically chose to rid its ranks of people who espoused the sort of anti-Semitism that once was inescapable on the American right.

Buckley would himself acknowledge that prejudice was a presence in his own home growing up. And as a youngster, Buckley admitted that he was a fan of Charles Lindbergh and his "America First" movement, whose flirtation with anti-Semitism was of a piece with its advocacy of appeasement of Adolf Hitler's Nazi Germany.

But as National Review took flight in the late 1950s, anti-Semitic writers found themselves on the outside looking in. So, too, did apologists for the extremist John Birch Society.

But despite the fact that his conservatism was one that was informed by his own Catholic faith (something that was consistently made clear in the pages of National Review), Buckley made his journal, and by extension, the movement for which it served as an unofficial bible, off-limits to the anti-Semitism that was commonplace in the world in which he grew up.

Though he didn't always agree with all of its policies, Buckley was also a consistent supporter of Israel. A staunch anti-Communist, he was also deeply supportive of the movement to free Soviet Jewry at a time when many in this country (including some Jews) were loath to speak out because it might be interpreted as opposition to a policy of detente with Moscow.

Long after he chased the Birchers out of NR, Buckley found himself forced to confront the issue again. When longtime colleagues Pat Buchanan and Joseph Sobran used their bully pulpits on the right to bash Israel and stigmatize Jews for their support for the state, it was again Buckley who took on the haters.

Buckley repudiated Sobran's writing, which he labeled anti-Semitic, and pushed him off the magazine's masthead.

As the issue continued to percolate in the aftermath of the Persian Gulf war in December 1991, he devoted an entire issue of the magazine to an essay titled "In Search of Anti-Semitism" (which was also the title of the book he later published on the same subject), in which he took on Buchanan, who was preparing an insurgent run for the White House against the first President Bush.

His conclusion was damning: "I find it impossible to defend Pat Buchanan against the charge that what he did and said during the period under examination amounted to anti-Semitism, whatever it was that drove him to say and do it," Buckley wrote.

Though Buchanan would continue to snipe away on television, it was largely Buckley's doing that he and others like him would do so from outside a perch in one of our two major parties rather than inside it.

IN HIS OWN IMAGE

The long-term implications of Buckley's stands were enormous. By remaking the conservative movement in his own image, in which the emphasis was on anti-communism and a libertarian skepticism of government power, he ensured that it, and the Republican Party, which it came to dominate, would be a place where Jew-haters were unwelcome.

That enabled liberal Jews, such as Commentary editor Norman Podhoretz, to feel comfortable making common cause with the right on a host of issues as he began his own journey away from the left. Though expectations that the Jews would ditch liberalism en masse were always unrealistic, the birth of an intellectually viable brand of Jewish conservative thought in this country wouldn't have happened had not Buckley first cleaned out the GOP stables.

In terms of practical politics, Buckley's rout of the anti-Semites made it possible for the sort of bipartisan consensus in favor of support for Israel that we now take for granted. He replaced the Buchanan-like world of American conservatism that existed before National Review with something that was not only more successful, but purged of Jew-hatred. If Israel Lobby authors John Mearsheimer and Stephen Walt want to find the real father of the enormous support for Israel in our political system today, they can look no further than the irrepressible Buckley, whose life was a testament to the power of ideas.

His was a political faith that most Jews never embraced, but as we survey a political spectrum in which our enemies are confined to the margins, we should all remember the unique achievements of this American original. May his memory be for a blessing for all who love liberty.

---

And let's also not forget the times (early '90s) Buchanan denied that 850,000 Jews died at Treblinka, claiming it was an impossibility.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:44:27 pm by HonestJohn »

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2016, 09:50:13 pm »
The term "antisemitism" was coined by Moritz Steinschneider in his responses to Ernest Renan in the 1850s.  It was popularized by Germans in the 1870s as a scientific-sounding term for Judenhass ("Jew-hatred").

Only since the 1990s has this term been targeted by neo-Nazis and Arabists to include Arabs into the definition, in order to dilute and confuse the meaning.

Here's the Wikipedia entry:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism
All that may be true. I am working from the definition of the root word: please see the link. http://www.dictionary.com/browse/semite 
Word Origin and History for Semite
n.

1847, "a Jew, Arab, Assyrian, or Aramaean" (an apparently isolated use from 1797 refers to the Semitic language group), back-formation from Semitic or else from French Sémite (1845), from Modern Latin Semita, from Late Latin Sem "Shem," one of the three sons of Noah (Gen. x:21-30), regarded as the ancestor of the Semites (in old Bible-based anthropology), from Hebrew Shem. In modern sense said to have been first used by German historian August Schlözer in 1781.

C S Lewis

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2016, 09:57:39 pm »
I remember Buchanan's  criticism of people supporting Israel,   but I don't recall anything ever rising to the point of demonstrating that he had a specific animosity towards Jews.   

Maybe he did,  but I don't recall it.    The fact that he had Jewish friends who would defend him makes me think this is an accusation against him which isn't necessarily true. 

I am reminded of the accusations against people who didn't want John Kennedy for President because it was asserted that they believed he would owe his loyalty to the Pope first,  and America second. 

One could construe this as anti-Catholic,   but it wouldn't quite be accurate.    One does not have to be anti-Catholic to believe that some Catholics are very serious about  following the Pope's teachings on a matter. 

Kennedy spoke to the issue,  and put most people's minds at ease regarding it. 

Even so,  he was a horrible President,  but most people are not aware of how badly he bungled the job. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2016, 10:00:18 pm »

Even so,  he was a horrible President,  but most people are not aware of how badly he bungled the job.
Just goes to show what getting assassinated can do for your "legacy"...

C S Lewis

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2016, 10:04:42 pm »
Just goes to show what getting assassinated can do for your "legacy"...

Well that,  and the power bloc of the Northeastern Wealthy Elite  building up your image.  (The media works for them.)   

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2016, 10:11:01 pm »
It shows how desperate the Clinton campaign is that they pull out the scumbag "you're a racist card".

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2016, 10:12:17 pm »

Well that,  and the power bloc of the Northeastern Wealthy Elite  building up your image.  (The media works for them.)
As crass as it sounds, that is easier to do with the memory of a dead 'hero' than a living, breathing, screw-up.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2016, 10:13:59 pm »
It shows how desperate the Clinton campaign is that they pull out the scumbag "you're a racist card".
The presence of the alt-right groups was noted even before Trump got the nomination, by Republicans. As with many of the problems with Trump, getting people to listen was problematical.

C S Lewis

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #120 on: September 12, 2016, 10:16:22 pm »
The media accusing Trump of being a racist and a growing Alt-Right sector of the conservative movement need not be connected. I see them as separate issues, though some of Trump's comments in the past certainly helped bring these weirdos closer to the mainstream of politics.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #121 on: September 12, 2016, 10:17:59 pm »
As crass as it sounds, that is easier to do with the memory of a dead 'hero' than a living, breathing, screw-up.

Yes.   I have read that Kennedy was losing popularity by 1963,  and that's why he was in Dallas campaigning.   He was trying to shore up his support in that state. 

Who could have guessed that nearly getting a 100  million people killed might hurt your election chances? 

— Lord Melbourne —

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #122 on: September 12, 2016, 10:18:47 pm »

Yes.   I have read that Kennedy was losing popularity by 1963,  and that's why he was in Dallas campaigning.   He was trying to shore up his support in that state. 

Who could have guessed that nearly getting a 100  million people killed might hurt your election chances?
Cubans, for starters...

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #123 on: September 12, 2016, 10:35:33 pm »
From what little I have seen of alt-right propaganda (much of that dated back to commentary on a much copied videotape of Federal actions at Ruby Ridge, apparently shot by a local who was a Separatist), the difference is semantic anyway. They just don't like anyone who isn't them. That includes orientals, blacks, and American Indians as well.
What is ironic is that Jared Taylor, who is a hero to many of the alt-right/white nationalism people has a Japanese wife. If you read the comments of these people after many articles on Taylor's website, American Renaissance, they make it clear they don't like anyone who isn't white, and for many of them white and of English or Nordic ancestry.
Some have problems calling eastern Europeans white. For example, many of them don't like Poles settling in England...in their minds Poles would dilute the gene pool. And for sure a great pct. of them hate Jews and don't consider them white.
If Trump were to give a public speech disavowing all the racist alt-righter supporting him, I'm sure many would assume Trump really doesn't mean it. But it's a speech he should give anyway.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #124 on: September 12, 2016, 10:46:35 pm »
What is ironic is that Jared Taylor, who is a hero to many of the alt-right/white nationalism people has a Japanese wife. If you read the comments of these people after many articles on Taylor's website, American Renaissance, they make it clear they don't like anyone who isn't white, and for many of them white and of English or Nordic ancestry.
Some have problems calling eastern Europeans white. For example, many of them don't like Poles settling in England...in their minds Poles would dilute the gene pool. And for sure a great pct. of them hate Jews and don't consider them white.
If Trump were to give a public speech disavowing all the racist alt-righter supporting him, I'm sure many would assume Trump really doesn't mean it. But it's a speech he should give anyway.
I would love to set up a charity to raise money to get all of these people a DNA test. There's nothing like the feeling when you watch them find out they are what they hate. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/white-supremacist-craig-cobb-told-he-is-14-african-in-televised-dna-test-8934797.html
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour