Author Topic: Earthquake rattles Oklahoma  (Read 10403 times)

Offline mountaineer

Earthquake rattles Oklahoma
« on: September 03, 2016, 12:25:50 pm »
Happening today.

Twitter reports:
EMSC ‏@LastQuake 2m2 minutes ago Oklahoma, USA

M5.8 #earthquake strikes 116 km NE of Oklahoma City (Oklahoma) 18 min ago. Read witnesses' stories & provide yours: http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=528303#testimonies

EMSC ‏@LastQuake 4m4 minutes ago Oklahoma, USA
M5.8 #earthquake (#sismo) strikes 118 km NE of Oklahoma City (#Oklahoma) 16 min ago.
Some of my FB friends are OK residents. Their comments:
Terri
15 mins

was that an earthquake? did anyone else feel that shaking?

Bridgette
We felt it in Edmond! It woke everyone in the house up!
Like · Reply · 11 mins

Tammy
Here in Claremore!!!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Re: Earthquake rattles Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 12:26:36 pm »
USGS in Oklahoma ‏@USGS_Oklahoma 33s33 seconds ago
USGS Ntl  Equake Info Cntr has determined an preliminary magnitude of 5.6, 14 Km NW of Pawnee @ 7:02 am. Aftershocks may occur. #earthquake

USGS in Oklahoma ‏@USGS_Oklahoma 19m19 minutes ago
Very substantial earthquake with aftershocks going on for several minutes. More information to follow.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 12:29:06 pm »
Witnesses in the Stillwater area are saying it shook for 20-30 seconds. More here.

Online WhatWouldReaganDo

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 01:25:48 pm »
Witnesses in the Stillwater area are saying it shook for 20-30 seconds. More here.

I felt a long, loud rumble in west Tulsa, but without the violent shaking that we had in 2011.
Down the centuries, you have slurred the meaning of the words, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution". These words and the words that follow, were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing! - James Tiberius Kirk

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 01:40:35 pm »
   USGS is showing the following:

Intensity         epicenter                                       Time/Date                      Focal Depth
 3.6    15km WNW of Pawnee, Oklahoma    2016-09-03 12:58:39 (UTC)    1.8 km

2.9    12km NW of Pawnee, Oklahoma        2016-09-03 12:57:36 (UTC)    5.0 km

2.7    10km NW of Pawnee, Oklahoma        2016-09-03 12:32:02 (UTC)    5.0 km

3.4      9km NW of Pawnee, Oklahoma        2016-09-03 12:16:22 (UTC)    3.9 km

5.6    14km NW of Pawnee, Oklahoma        2016-09-03 12:02:44 (UTC)    6.6 km

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/#%7B%22autoUpdate%22%3A%5B%22autoUpdate%22%5D%2C%22basemap%22%3A%22grayscale%22%2C%22feed%22%3A%221day_m25%22%2C%22listFormat%22%3A%22default%22%2C%22mapposition%22%3A%5B%5B36.06353184297193%2C-97.38967895507812%5D%2C%5B36.68383870263707%2C-96.43524169921875%5D%5D%2C%22overlays%22%3A%5B%22plates%22%5D%2C%22restrictListToMap%22%3A%5B%22restrictListToMap%22%5D%2C%22search%22%3Anull%2C%22sort%22%3A%22newest%22%2C%22timezone%22%3A%22utc%22%2C%22viewModes%22%3A%5B%22list%22%2C%22map%22%5D%2C%22event%22%3Anull%7D

Edited to add in additional data. Map at link above.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 01:57:13 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 02:52:39 pm »
Apparently it was felt all the way up into Minnesota.

Did you feel it? Oklahoma earthquake rocks central Iowa

The 5.6 magnitude earthquake happened at 7:02 a.m. Saturday in north-central Oklahoma, The United States Geological Survey said. That ties for Oklahoma's strongest earthquake on record, the first coming in November 2011. No major damage was immediately reported...

People in Kansas City and St. Louis, Missouri; Fayetteville, Arkansas; Des Moines; and Norman, Oklahoma, all reported feeling the earthquake. Dallas TV station WFAA tweeted that the quake shook their studios, too.

Saturday's quake was centered about 9 miles northwest of Pawnee, Oklahoma. Earlier this week, the same spot, which is about 70 miles northeast of Oklahoma City, saw a magnitude 3.2 temblor.

In Omaha, Sean Weide told the Associated Press that he'd never been in an earthquake before and thought he was getting dizzy. Weide said he and one of his daughters "heard the building start creaking" and said it "was surreal."

http://www.kcci.com/news/did-you-feel-it-oklahoma-earthquake-rocks-central-iowa/41499568
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 02:53:04 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 03:00:55 pm »
Here in north-central Kansas we felt this one, and a good deal more than the last 5.6 out of OK, back in 2011 which I only noticed because I was sitting propped up against a wall.  This one rattled things in the house and made the whole bed shake.  I think the epicenter was a little closer to us than that in 2011, though it might have been just a trick of the way the waves travel through the earth.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline raml

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 05:03:58 pm »
I felt it here in Joplin Mo. It went on for a little bit unlike those I have felt before from Oklahoma. It reminded me of living in California.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 10:22:51 pm »
One of my friends in Oklahoma said it came in two waves and lasted about a minute.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 02:05:35 pm »
Five months before Saturday's 5.6 magnitude temblor in central Oklahoma, government scientists warned that oil and natural gas drilling had made a wide swath of the country more susceptible to earthquakes.

The U.S. Geological Survey, in a March report on "induced earthquakes," said as many as 7.9 million people in parts of Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas now face the same earthquake risks as those in California.

The report found that oil and gas drilling activity, particularly practices like hydraulic fracturing or fracking, is at issue.

Saturday's earthquake spurred state regulators in Oklahoma to order 37 disposal wells, which are used by frackers, to shut down over a 725-square mile area.   ...
More at CNN

Has there been any scientific proof that fracking has anything to do with earthquakes, or is this just the federal government/ObamaEPA's way of shutting down yet another fossil fuel industry?

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 03:49:09 pm »
More at CNN

Has there been any scientific proof that fracking has anything to do with earthquakes, or is this just the federal government/ObamaEPA's way of shutting down yet another fossil fuel industry?

We had earthquakes in Oklahoma  and  Missouri when I lived there as a kid 5 decades or more before fracking started.  The plains Indians have stories about the earth shaking.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 04:37:37 pm »
More at CNN

Nope, not fracking.

Injection wells for saltwater disposal have been connected in places with an increase in earthquakes, and the Anadarko Basin in Oklahoma seems to be an area susceptible to that effect. Whether that is correlation or causation remains to be seen, and research is ongoing.

It also depends on the local geology.
See this link:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/#%7B%22autoUpdate%22%3A%5B%22autoUpdate%22%5D%2C%22basemap%22%3A%22grayscale%22%2C%22feed%22%3A%221day_m25%22%2C%22listFormat%22%3A%22default%22%2C%22mapposition%22%3A%5B%5B32.36140331527543%2C244.81933593749997%5D%2C%5B50.62507306341435%2C275.361328125%5D%5D%2C%22overlays%22%3A%5B%22plates%22%5D%2C%22restrictListToMap%22%3A%5B%22restrictListToMap%22%5D%2C%22search%22%3Anull%2C%22sort%22%3A%22newest%22%2C%22timezone%22%3A%22utc%22%2C%22viewModes%22%3A%5B%22list%22%2C%22map%22%5D%2C%22event%22%3Anull%7D

which has a map that shows the last day or so of earthquakes in the US. Note the absence of earthquakes in areas where wells are still being hydraulically fractured, including Texas, North Dakota, Montana (the 4.0 south of Whitehall is not in an oil producing area of the state). If you change settings you can look for the last 30 days and still not see earthquakes in those areas, even though wells are being fracced in those areas on a regular basis. There are several thousand wells waiting to be fracced (DUC wells: Drilled but UnCompleted) which have been drilled and are waiting for frac crews to catch up.  Note, too, that in those areas I named above, saltwater disposal wells have been injecting water (by gravity feed, mainly) into rock formations at depth, for at least 50 years, longer in some places. No seismic activity noted.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 04:56:00 pm »
We had earthquakes in Oklahoma  and  Missouri when I lived there as a kid 5 decades or more before fracking started.  The plains Indians have stories about the earth shaking.
From the USGS site, did they blame these on fracking :silly:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/oklahoma/history.php

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 05:27:57 pm »
More at CNN

@mountaineer, if you're really interested in that question, here's a link to some articles about a state-funded study to examine that very question:  http://www.beg.utexas.edu/files/content/beg/ext-aff/16-01/Program%20gets%20underway%20to%20examine%20Texas%20earthquake%20increase%20_%20The%20Star-Telegram.pdf.

And, it does download as a pdf.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 05:28:34 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 06:28:49 pm »
@mountaineer, if you're really interested in that question, here's a link to some articles about a state-funded study to examine that very question:  http://www.beg.utexas.edu/files/content/beg/ext-aff/16-01/Program%20gets%20underway%20to%20examine%20Texas%20earthquake%20increase%20_%20The%20Star-Telegram.pdf.

And, it does download as a pdf.
Interesting. The USGS map shows one earthquake in Texas the last 30 days of magnitude 2.6 or higher.

North Dakota, Eastern Montana, Eastern Wyoming, Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, Louisiana, Have none. There is a cluster inOklahoma and Kansas, which may be related to disposal wells. Note, the states listed above have both oil production, fracked wells, and disposal wells, too.

While there is oil and gas activity in the same area as the earthquakes,

Proterozoic basement Humboldt Fault (red) and Midcontinent Rift (green) in Kansas and Nebraska

The Nemaha uplift is a deep fault zone which runs diagonally across east Kansas and extends from just south of Omaha, Nebraska to Oklahoma City. This fault zone directly overlies a granite "high" in the Precambrian basement and is structurally active as the Humboldt Fault. Some fifty miles to the west the southernmost extension of the Proterozoic Midcontinent Rift System extends into northeastern Kansas.[23]

This (Humboldt) fault zone pretty much coincides with the troubled area.
Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology_of_Kansas
I would not exclude the possibility that the existing fault(s) in the area are being lubricated by fluids disposed of in disposal wells, and consider that to be worthy of investigation, if it has not been done.

The absence of widespread earthquake activity in other areas where tens of thousands of horizontal wells have been hydraulically fractured tends to indicate that alone is not the culprit. The presence of faults may indicate seismicity which would occur, regardless.

Fraccing is a process where a short term increase in in fluid pressure in the rock around a wellbore is caused for a limited period of time, with the aim to crack that rock and to pump sand or ceramic beads into the newly formed cracks to prop them open. This causes the formation of new pathways for oil and gas to flow out of the lower permeability rock and significantly enhances production. That pressure is reduced as the frac fluids are produced along with oil and/or gas from the rock layer along with whatever salt water is in that porosity layer as well.

Those produced fluids (other than oil, gas, and condensate) are commonly disposed of by putting them in a disposal well, where the weight of the water column exerts enough pressure to push the water at the bottom of the well into the target rock layer (called a "formation" by geologists) where there is enough porosity and permeability to accept the water. As wastewater feeds into the formation, more water is added to the column in the well, keeping the process going. This generally does not involve high pressure pumps like a frac, just gravity. Casing in the well prevents water from going into any but the target formation.

C S Lewis

Offline XenaLee

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 06:31:55 pm »
Interesting. The USGS map shows one earthquake in Texas the last 30 days of magnitude 2.6 or higher.

North Dakota, Eastern Montana, Eastern Wyoming, Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, Louisiana, Have none. There is a cluster inOklahoma and Kansas, which may be related to disposal wells. Note, the states listed above have both oil production, fracked wells, and disposal wells, too.

While there is oil and gas activity in the same area as the earthquakes,

Proterozoic basement Humboldt Fault (red) and Midcontinent Rift (green) in Kansas and Nebraska

The Nemaha uplift is a deep fault zone which runs diagonally across east Kansas and extends from just south of Omaha, Nebraska to Oklahoma City. This fault zone directly overlies a granite "high" in the Precambrian basement and is structurally active as the Humboldt Fault. Some fifty miles to the west the southernmost extension of the Proterozoic Midcontinent Rift System extends into northeastern Kansas.[23]

This (Humboldt) fault zone pretty much coincides with the troubled area.
Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology_of_Kansas
I would not exclude the possibility that the existing fault(s) in the area are being lubricated by fluids disposed of in disposal wells, and consider that to be worthy of investigation, if it has not been done.

The absence of widespread earthquake activity in other areas where tens of thousands of horizontal wells have been hydraulically fractured tends to indicate that alone is not the culprit. The presence of faults may indicate seismicity which would occur, regardless.

Fraccing is a process where a short term increase in in fluid pressure in the rock around a wellbore is caused for a limited period of time, with the aim to crack that rock and to pump sand or ceramic beads into the newly formed cracks to prop them open. This causes the formation of new pathways for oil and gas to flow out of the lower permeability rock and significantly enhances production. That pressure is reduced as the frac fluids are produced along with oil and/or gas from the rock layer along with whatever salt water is in that porosity layer as well.

Those produced fluids (other than oil, gas, and condensate) are commonly disposed of by putting them in a disposal well, where the weight of the water column exerts enough pressure to push the water at the bottom of the well into the target rock layer (called a "formation" by geologists) where there is enough porosity and permeability to accept the water. As wastewater feeds into the formation, more water is added to the column in the well, keeping the process going. This generally does not involve high pressure pumps like a frac, just gravity. Casing in the well prevents water from going into any but the target formation.

It's weird.  I haven't felt ANY earthquakes here in Texas.  Whenever I hear about one I have to wonder....who here 'did' feel it.  Nobody I know.
No quarter given to the enemy within...ever.

You can vote your way into socialism, but you have to shoot your way out of it.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 06:54:15 pm »
It's weird.  I haven't felt ANY earthquakes here in Texas.  Whenever I hear about one I have to wonder....who here 'did' feel it.  Nobody I know.
Well, Texas is a big place (almost half as big as Alaska :laugh:), so it would depend on where you are and when you were there...
in 2015:
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/01/07/11-north-texas-earthquakes-in-around-27-hours/
in 2012:
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Earthquake-Shakes-North-Texas-171963191.html
and USGS earthquake info for Texas can be found here:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/?region=Texas

The seismicity map looks like this, with earthquakes plotted from 1973 to Feb. 26, 2016

C S Lewis

Offline XenaLee

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 07:03:31 pm »
Well, Texas is a big place (almost half as big as Alaska :laugh:), so it would depend on where you are and when you were there...
in 2015:
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/01/07/11-north-texas-earthquakes-in-around-27-hours/
in 2012:
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Earthquake-Shakes-North-Texas-171963191.html
and USGS earthquake info for Texas can be found here:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/?region=Texas

The seismicity map looks like this, with earthquakes plotted from 1973 to Feb. 26, 2016

I'm in Dallas....where the radio station claimed it felt the last one.   Now, it's quite possible that I was asleep when that one hit yesterday.  I was up at 6 am but went back to sleep sometime thereafter.  Don't know.  But I do know that I have never felt any of the earthquakes that have been claimed to have been felt here.  I usually stay up quite late, get up early and then go back to sleep.  So if the quakes are mostly happening in that time frame, I sleep right through them.  But you would think I would have been awake for one of them.  Oddly enough, I have a huge fear of earthquakes for some reason....although I've never been in one that I was aware of.

When I was in LA visiting relatives when I was 16....it never even occurred to me that there might be one.  I would have been nervous, to say the least, if I had thought about it.  Watching the last major California earthquake on TV was the scariest thing I've ever witnessed next to 9/11.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 07:34:35 pm »
I'm in Dallas....where the radio station claimed it felt the last one.   Now, it's quite possible that I was asleep when that one hit yesterday.  I was up at 6 am but went back to sleep sometime thereafter.  Don't know.  But I do know that I have never felt any of the earthquakes that have been claimed to have been felt here.  I usually stay up quite late, get up early and then go back to sleep.  So if the quakes are mostly happening in that time frame, I sleep right through them.  But you would think I would have been awake for one of them.  Oddly enough, I have a huge fear of earthquakes for some reason....although I've never been in one that I was aware of.

When I was in LA visiting relatives when I was 16....it never even occurred to me that there might be one.  I would have been nervous, to say the least, if I had thought about it.  Watching the last major California earthquake on TV was the scariest thing I've ever witnessed next to 9/11.
Apparently there is a fair amount of activity in the Dallas Fort Worth area. I can understand being afraid on an earthquake.

We (well most of us) generally think of the ground we stand on as something fairly stable. We even glorify that with phrases like "steady as a rock". The notion it might start wiggling around is unsettling at a Limbic level.

We have had one earthquake in ND in my lifetime in this part of the state, back in 1982 and I missed it.  Oh well, I guess there are some things I can handle missing out on.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2016, 08:41:06 pm »
We (well most of us) generally think of the ground we stand on as something fairly stable. We even glorify that with phrases like "steady as a rock". The notion it might start wiggling around is unsettling at a Limbic level.

As you well know, it has been in our lifetimes that scientists finally accepted plate tectonics universally.  Means there is essentially no place on earth that is really stable at all, but in constant movement, with some places moving a lot more than other places.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2016, 08:43:41 pm »

As you well know, it has been in our lifetimes that scientists finally accepted plate tectonics universally.  Means there is essentially no place on earth that is really stable at all, but in constant movement, with some places moving a lot more than other places.
True, but you lose 3-7 cm/year of movement just in stepping from one place to another. A few inches or even meters of rapid (instantaneous) displacement is much harder to ignore.

C S Lewis

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2016, 08:47:53 pm »

Since hydraulic fracturing began in the 1940's, you are a real senior.  I salute you centennials.

https://energywithjr.quora.com/The-History-of-Fracking-A-Timeline
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2016, 08:51:18 pm »
Happening today.

Twitter reports:Some of my FB friends are OK residents. Their comments:

This looks more like a population density map than a quake density map.

Makes some distortion of where the earthquake occurred.

Offline XenaLee

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2016, 08:53:38 pm »
Apparently there is a fair amount of activity in the Dallas Fort Worth area. I can understand being afraid on an earthquake.

We have had one earthquake in ND in my lifetime in this part of the state, back in 1982 and I missed it. Oh well, I guess there are some things I can handle missing out on.

Lol....same here.  Oddly enough...I have also always been deathly afraid of volcanos.  Never been near one in this life....but they scare the hell out of me, nevertheless.

Hurricanes?  No problem.  Been through probably dozen (or more).  Tornados?  Much more likely to be a victim of one than of earthquakes and volcanos, yet I'm not that terrified of them....even though a couple have touched down not that far from my house.   There's no logical explanation.

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2016, 09:06:17 pm »
True, but you lose 3-7 cm/year of movement just in stepping from one place to another. A few inches or even meters of rapid (instantaneous) displacement is much harder to ignore.

The point to make is all of the earth is in movement, which means an earthquake can occur anywhere, anytime, with varying degrees of probability.  Most people are not aware(although you certainly are)