Author Topic: 225+ heroin overdoses in 4 counties in 4 states in 1 week - USA Today  (Read 1499 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
225+ heroin overdoses in 4 counties in 4 states in 1 week

CINCINNATI — An overdose crisis in the past week has left police and emergency responders here drained and without clues.

It has also underscored that this region does not have resources to treat all of people addicted to opioids, including heroin.

Police are asking for the public's help in identifying the source of heroin sold here that caused scores of overdoses, including at least three deaths. More than 200 people in four states have been victims of what law enforcement officials are calling a supercharged form of the sedative, and one additional person died in Indiana.

"We're working very closely to find the source dealer," said Police Chief Tom Synan of Newtown, Ohio, who heads the law enforcement task force for the Hamilton County Heroin Coalition. He said local, state and federal authorities are combining their forces to investigate the source or sources. "We don't have anything solid to go off of."

Read More: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/08/26/supercharged-heroin-ohio-ind-ky-nj/89409942/

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: 225+ heroin overdoses in 4 counties in 4 states in 1 week - USA Today
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 04:24:41 pm »
How is this happening?! Heroin is illegal! That stops people from abusing it, right?
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 04:37:29 pm »
How is this happening?! Heroin is illegal! That stops people from abusing it, right?
Well it's not as if making something legal ever stopped abuse either, alcohol or marijuana in the states that legalized come to mind.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 01:01:21 am »
"225+ heroin overdoses in 4 counties in 4 states in 1 week"

Hmmmm,seems to be a self-solving problem,doesn't it?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 02:43:44 am »
Humor aside, from those engaged in selling to those using;

It's another reason to secure the border; I'm surprised at seeing pictures of some of the users.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 02:55:57 am »
Cutting off one source is a reason, for another source arise.  For another highly addictive, illegal substance.

I am told many, start with prescriptions for pain meds. Then unable to get a prescription refilled, turn to heroin on the street, which is cheaper and more readily available.

And many of these users, are not "experienced" heroin users. So they accidentally kill themselves.

The truth about Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and Prince, is they simply overdosed. They made deadly miscalculations about the strength, of the last dose.

When high on a mind altering substance, judgment goes out the window. Combine that with a batch far stronger than normal, and you are dead.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 04:42:02 am »
Cutting off one source is a reason, for another source arise.  For another highly addictive, illegal substance.

They made deadly miscalculations about the strength, of the last dose. When high on a mind altering substance, judgment goes out the window. Combine that with a batch far stronger than normal, and you are dead.
Batches which are overstrength compared to their ordinary supply and blended with other controlled substances (fentanyl, for one) are what is causing the latest round of overdoses (That, and people using the stuff in the first place). Naloxone may give some the opportunity to quit, others won't until they take a dirtnap. Nasty stuff.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 06:43:10 pm »
Batches which are overstrength compared to their ordinary supply and blended with other controlled substances (fentanyl, for one) are what is causing the latest round of overdoses (That, and people using the stuff in the first place). Naloxone may give some the opportunity to quit, others won't until they take a dirtnap. Nasty stuff.

With over 22 years sober, and having attended thousands of meetings, hearing thousands of pitches, I know something about the subject. I never got much into drugs, cold beer being my thing.

An alcoholic or addict, under the influence, is not in their "right mind." They are in the grip of the addiction.

The majority of newcomers are not yet ready to quit, and will resume using only to die from overdose. I have known several.

Addictions to substances are very powerful. I have also known people that resumed drinking/drugging and were in such despair that they committed suicide by gun or other methods.

The moralists with their high minded words, are of no help whatsoever. One addict or alcoholic talking to another works, however, where no other method can.

The man that helped me had about 5 years sober, and talked about his alcoholism. I heard his message. He also happened to be a priest, but he soon went instead into full-time recovery work.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 09:58:32 pm »

Addictions to substances are very powerful.

Addictions to anything are powerful,and it doesn't have to be drugs or alcohol. People are addicted to risk-taking,gambling,food,and a bunch of other things. Each one is as powerful to the people addicted to it as alcohol is to a drunk,or heroin is to a junkie.

I know a  man that was an only son,and he inherited hundreds of acres of rich farm land that had several houses on it. Some of it had been in his family for over 200 years,and other parcels were farms his grandfather and father bought up as families moved away,died out,or just went broke for whatever reason. ALL of it was paid for because his family didn't believe in borrowing money or paying interest. They did believe in lending money and collecting interest,though. They owned the local bank.

This man was a multi-millionaire in 1960,and may not have been old enough to vote.  Hell,he even owned a country club and golf course,not to mention a stable of race horses and a private plane.

Today he owns nothing but one small house the courts let him keep,and he is living off of SS and driving a 10 year old pu. He threw it all away gambling. He would bet on anything at any time,but his favorite bets were long shots. It wasn't the money so much as it was the thrill of winning when he wasn't expected to win,and thinking that made him smarter than everyone else. He doesn't even have any friends because at one time or another he cheated every single friend he had ever had in various business deals. He actually bankrupted his father's business partner,a man who considered him to be like a son to him.

All this because he was addicted to the "rush" of winning,and like all amateur gamblers,he never saw the possibility of losing. Professional gamblers don't gamble. They play the odds and don't get emotional about it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 11:57:38 pm »
Addictions to anything are powerful,and it doesn't have to be drugs or alcohol. People are addicted to risk-taking,gambling,food,and a bunch of other things. Each one is as powerful to the people addicted to it as alcohol is to a drunk,or heroin is to a junkie.

I know a  man that was an only son,and he inherited hundreds of acres of rich farm land that had several houses on it. Some of it had been in his family for over 200 years,and other parcels were farms his grandfather and father bought up as families moved away,died out,or just went broke for whatever reason. ALL of it was paid for because his family didn't believe in borrowing money or paying interest. They did believe in lending money and collecting interest,though. They owned the local bank.

This man was a multi-millionaire in 1960,and may not have been old enough to vote.  Hell,he even owned a country club and golf course,not to mention a stable of race horses and a private plane.

Today he owns nothing but one small house the courts let him keep,and he is living off of SS and driving a 10 year old pu. He threw it all away gambling. He would bet on anything at any time,but his favorite bets were long shots. It wasn't the money so much as it was the thrill of winning when he wasn't expected to win,and thinking that made him smarter than everyone else. He doesn't even have any friends because at one time or another he cheated every single friend he had ever had in various business deals. He actually bankrupted his father's business partner,a man who considered him to be like a son to him.

All this because he was addicted to the "rush" of winning,and like all amateur gamblers,he never saw the possibility of losing. Professional gamblers don't gamble. They play the odds and don't get emotional about it.
I know of one like that here, whose father made a fortune, who gambles it away--only his father left him a trust, so it will not be all gone tomorrow. In all fairness, though, he generously loans (grants) money to friends he had before he inherited without expecting to be repaid, if they are in a bind. Just a good hearted guy with what we would consider a problem.

He is single, has no heirs or living relatives, and has enough to continue to live as he does for a foreseeable lifetime. It's his money to do with as he pleases, so who am I to judge?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:59:32 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis