Author Topic: GAO says USAF incapable of understanding why getting rid of the A-10 is a bad Idea  (Read 1145 times)

rangerrebew

GAO says USAF incapable of understanding why getting rid of the A-10 is a bad Idea
By Andy Wolf| August 25th, 2016|Military News, U.S. Air Force|0 Comments

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
FacebookTwitterLinkedinRedditTumblrGoogle+PinterestVkEmail

A U.S. Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt II from the 442nd Fighter Wing, Whiteman Air Force Base, Missouri, takes off at Ämari Air Base, Estonia, Aug. 5, 2016. The A-10 is flying to Tapa Range to perform air-to-ground training with Estonian and NATO allies in support of Operation Atlantic Resolve. (U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Missy Sterling/released)

The Government Accountability Office have filed a report saying that the US Air Force and Department of Defense lack the information and capabilities to make an informed decision in regards to divesting the A-10 Thunderbolt II fleet.

In a recently declassified and scathing report, the GAO criticized the two defense entities’ abilities to understand the full consequences of getting rid of the Close Air Support aircraft, which are -for the most part- bought and paid for in full and have no worthy replacement in sight.

“The Department of Defense and Air Force do not have quality information on the full implications of A-10 divestment, including gaps that could be created by A-10 divestment and mitigation options,” the GAO reported in the declassified version of the report, which was originally released through limited channels in July.

http://popularmilitary.com/gao-says-usaf-incapable-understanding-getting-rid-10-bad-idea/
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 09:42:57 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Axeslinger

The USAF brass (not the warthog jockeys) knows exactly what it's doing: it has no desire to be in the CAS business.  It thinks its primary mission is aerial bombardment and support thereof.  Period.  End of story. And if a few Marines and soldiers have to die...well, the USAF should've never been put in that position in the first place!

And this is why I'm a huge proponent of letting the USMC take over the A10 program...and the Army too if they can get around the whole rotary aircraft only thing.

BTW ranger, love your military articles!
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

rangerrebew

The USAF brass (not the warthog jockeys) knows exactly what it's doing: it has no desire to be in the CAS business.  It thinks its primary mission is aerial bombardment and support thereof.  Period.  End of story. And if a few Marines and soldiers have to die...well, the USAF should've never been put in that position in the first place!

And this is why I'm a huge proponent of letting the USMC take over the A10 program...and the Army too if they can get around the whole rotary aircraft only thing.

BTW ranger, love your military articles!

Perhaps that is why during WWII there was an Army Air Corpse.  :peeonobama:

I'm pleased to know you enjoy them.  They aren't always easy to find but I know a number of people follow them on a regular basis which gives me inspiration to keep looking.

Wingnut

Sounds like an excellent plan to let the Navy/USMC have them.    Question.  Can they take-off and land on an Aircraft Carrier?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 02:09:21 pm by Wingnut »