Author Topic: Of Course There Should Be an Ideological Test in Immigration ...By Andrew C. McCarthy  (Read 455 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Of Course There Should Be an Ideological Test in Immigration
The U.S. Constitution allows barring would-be immigrants who would subvert our Constitution.
By Andrew C. McCarthy — August 20, 2016

Imagine an American government official, interviewing an alien seeking admission to our country from, say, Syria:

U.S. official: “Will you support the United States Constitution?”

Syrian alien: “Well, sure, except that I believe the government should be overseen by a caliph, who must be Muslim and male, and who must rule in accordance with Islamic law, which no man-made law may contradict. None of this ‘We the People’ stuff; Allah is the sovereign. Non-Muslims should not be required to convert to Islam, of course, but they must submit to the authority of Islamic law — which requires them to live in the second-class status of dhimmitude and to pay a poll tax for that privilege.”

“I also believe women must be subservient to men, and that men are permitted to beat their wives if they are disobedient — especially if they refuse sex, in which they must engage on demand. There is no such thing as marital rape, and proving non-marital rape requires testimony from four male witnesses. Outside the home, a woman should cover herself in drab from head to toe. A woman’s testimony in court should be worth only half of a man’s, and her inheritance rights similarly discounted. Men should be able to marry up to four women — women, however, are limited to marrying one man.”

more
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/439203/print
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

I'm curious and think there needs to be some clarification of terms.  In this particular debate, when a reference is made to "immigration" are we talking just about those who have applied for immigrant status with the U.S. - that is, those who wish to become permanent residents (i.e., want to be green card holders) - or are we talking about anyone, including visitors and tourists, who want to enter the U.S. for a short period of time in a non-immigrant status?

It matters because if we're discussing only those seeking permanent resident status (i.e., immigrant status), then that should be relatively easy to do by applying the tests for naturalization to applicants for permanent residency (i.e., for a green card).  If instead we're discussing all entrants, including tourists, then that is simply too unwieldy, won't work, and will simply damage America's relationships with its friends and allies.