Author Topic: Gingrich on Trump's Speech: 'Most Important Foreign Policy Address Since Reagan'  (Read 1248 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Newsmax
Gingrich on Trump's Speech: 'Most Important Foreign Policy Address Since Reagan'
Tuesday, August 16, 2016 09:14 AM

By: Brian Freeman

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich praised Republican candidate Donald Trump's address on how he would handle the threat of the Islamic State, calling it "the most important foreign policy speech since Ronald Reagan." Adding that "it really does set the stage for a debate for the American people about what's threatening us and what we should do about it."

Speaking on Fox News' "Hannity," Gingrich said that Trump "did just a remarkable job, in my judgment, of identifying the enemy [and] describing accurately how big the problem is… I think the contrast between what… Donald Trump did and what Hillary Clinton is couldn't be clearer. This is a Grand Canyon-wide chasm of two different views."

Gingrich said that what made Trump's speech even more impressive was that the candidate has received criticism for being unable to lay out a "road map" in any specific area of foreign policy, but that after this address such a judgement would be unwarranted.

"He took what may be the most important national security threat of the next decade, he outlined what the threat is, he outlined why we have failed, he outlined how important it is and he began to lay the base for a very serious, very dramatic change," Gingrich said.

"I'm interested to see if the mainstream media can actually focus on the speech and can actually talk about the difference between the confusion of the Obama-Clinton model and the clarity of the Trump model."

The praise for Trump from Gingrich comes just a few days after the former speaker criticized the GOP candidate on Fox News' "Fox & Friends" for not expressing himself clearly to the public by using imprecise language.

Gingrich used as an example when Trump called President Barack Obama and Clinton the "most valuable players" for ISIS and said Obama was the terrorist group's "founder" without fully explaining and developing his thoughts so that everyone would understand the message.

http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=743758
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

I didn't listen to the speech.  I find it interesting the Gingrich continues to somewhat keep Trump in check from the sidelines and it seems he feels the need to continue to clarify what Trump says.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I didn't listen to the speech.  I find it interesting the Gingrich continues to somewhat keep Trump in check from the sidelines and it seems he feels the need to continue to clarify what Trump says.

I listened.  And my take as I said on another thread was that this was a victory for Trump only because he avoided saying anything incredibly stupid.  The bar is that low.

OTOH...  If Gingrich thinks this is an important speech, his horse sense on what is "historical"  is way out of whack
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Silver Pines

Newt has moved beyond embarrassing himself for Trump...he's a self-parody now. 

Offline unknown

A great speech!!

:hands:

Newt makes this observation regarding Trump and Clinton:

“[Trump] did just a remarkable job, in my judgment, of identifying the enemy, describing accurately how big the problem is,” Gingrich said. “This is in some ways is the most important foreign policy speech since Ronald Reagan in that it really does set the stage for a debate about what’s threatening us and what we should do about it and I think the contrast between what he did — what Donald Trump did and what Hillary Clinton is couldn’t be clearer. This is a Grand Canyon-wide chasm of two different views.

This is another perfect point that highlights the differences not just between Trump and Clinton, but also between the leftist liberal elite democrats, such as Kasich, Jebbie, McCain, Romney, GOPe, RINOs, etc..

Another very conservative policy position outlined by Trump.

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Online dfwgator

I listened.  And my take as I said on another thread was that this was a victory for Trump only because he avoided saying anything incredibly stupid.
It's a start.

Offline r9etb

Here's the transcript:  http://heavy.com/news/2016/08/read-donald-trump-full-transcript-speech-foreign-policy-address-remarks-prepared-august-15/

Trump's comments on Iraq are ridiculous.  He castigates Obama for decisions that changed a relatively stable Iraq into the mess it is today; and then goes on to say how he was against the means by which it got there.

It's quite apparent that Trump never did understand the value of establishing a strong American military presence on the borders of Iran and Syria; and he somehow leaves off discounts the fact that the American action in Iraq led to the stability that the withdrawal of American troops from Iraq destroyed.  (which he seems to have supported) is the proximate cause for the spread of ISIS in Iraq.

His views on Iraq are simply incoherent.  And that's just one place.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 05:34:23 pm by r9etb »

Offline r9etb

Then there's this:

I also believe that we could find common ground with Russia in the fight against ISIS. They too have much at stake in the outcome in Syria, and have had their own battles with Islamic terrorism.

OK ... so Russian and Iranian policy is to prop up the Assad regime.  Is that what Trump now wants to do as well?  What is his position on the Syrian civil war?  He doesn't say ... so there's no way to judge whether Russia's and our interests actually coincide in Syria.

And this:
We cannot allow the internet to be used as a recruiting tool, and for other purposes, by our enemy – we must shut down their access to this form of communication, and we must do so immediately.

Sounds good, eh?  Until you think about what it actually implies...