Author Topic: Ted Cruz’s Ship Taking On Water In Texas According To Latest Poll  (Read 18538 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Ted Cruz’s Ship Taking On Water In Texas According To Latest Poll
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2016, 07:14:17 am »

The Oppression is Bliss Club meets monthly at Denny's, this weeks lecture is "Freedom is Ugly, Long Live Supression!"
Go figure. We don't have a Denny's for at least 200 miles...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2016, 10:30:25 am »
I remember, they were going to defy the GOP, destroy the GOPE etc etc

Now the same people they hated from McConnell to Ryan and McCain have been endorsed by Comrade Orange, and now THE PARTY is the end-all and be-all and we must have unity!

and Trump supporters can't see they have been led by the nose to embrace what they hated most a few months ago? Now these same people who wanted conservatives to win elections are actively leading anti-conservative hate campaigns?

By November they will all be led to voting for Hillary by Trump.

I think some of the most rabid pro Trumpers have always been pro GOPe manipulators who know exactly what they're doing. If it can happen at TOS it can happen here and at any other site.

I just completely ignore them.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2016, 01:08:25 pm »
I'll go with politicians who have actually affected change like Governors Perry and Walker, not who does the best on Mark Levin's report card.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2016, 01:58:33 pm »
I also used to visit Indonesia in the 80s when Suharto was in power.  Another dictator who, although he was forced out for corruption, kept an iron fist in a Muslim country.  Never felt uneasy there either.  In fact, I left with quite a number of Indonesian friends and believe the people there are some of the friendliest I have ever met.

It went downhill fast after Suharto resigned, and I would not visit there again ever.

Ever make it to Balikpapan? I helped start up a big gas plant there in the 80's.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 02:04:17 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2016, 02:04:25 pm »
I'll go with politicians who have actually affected change like Governors Perry and Walker, not who does the best on Mark Levin's report card.

Hope n' change - heard that one before.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2016, 02:10:21 pm »

Just don't ask Perry three things he's changed.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2016, 02:16:45 pm »
One point that hasn't been brought out is that this poll was taken in Dallas and FW.  Cruz has always polled better outside metro areas.

Bogus and biased.

No kidding, I remember the results from the first primary in 2012. Cruz beat Dewhurst handily in Valley Ranch, where I live. There aren't that many conservative voters in Dallas, FW, Houston, San Antonio, et al. Ted rocks the suburbs and rural areas, the crimson areas of Texas.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2016, 02:20:02 pm »
No kidding, I remember the results from the first primary in 2012. Cruz beat Dewhurst handily in Valley Ranch, where I live. There aren't that many conservative voters in Dallas, FW, Houston, San Antonio, et al. Ted rocks the suburbs and rural areas, the crimson areas of Texas.

Dallas may be conservative compared to NY but its like Berkley CA compared to my little town.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2016, 02:53:02 pm »
Dallas may be conservative compared to NY but its like Berkley CA compared to my little town.

LOL! I grew up in Castro Valley, about 15 miles south of Berkeley.

I have one thing in common with Rachel Maddow: we both graduated from Castro Valley HS. LOL.

My last two months of HS were an enlightening experience. I was ostracized on campus for accepting a 4 year ROTC scholarship. I even had one teacher say to my face how "disappointed" he was in me. The only teacher who gave me any positive reinforcement was my calculus teacher, a former Jesuit priest at Marquette. He was thrilled that I was matriculating at Gonzaga.

After graduation, I shook the dust off my sandals, never to return. Compare that to my experience at Gonzaga, and the friends I've stayed in contact with over the past 40 years. As a matter of fact, I spent a bit of time on the phone with a fellow cadet last night. He was on his way to drop his son off at Baylor. Although our schedules are busy with family and career, we take advantages of the opportunities to reconnect.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2016, 03:04:28 pm »
LOL! I grew up in Castro Valley, about 15 miles south of Berkeley.

I have one thing in common with Rachel Maddow: we both graduated from Castro Valley HS. LOL.

My last two months of HS were an enlightening experience. I was ostracized on campus for accepting a 4 year ROTC scholarship. I even had one teacher say to my face how "disappointed" he was in me. The only teacher who gave me any positive reinforcement was my calculus teacher, a former Jesuit priest at Marquette. He was thrilled that I was matriculating at Gonzaga.

After graduation, I shook the dust off my sandals, never to return. Compare that to my experience at Gonzaga, and the friends I've stayed in contact with over the past 40 years. As a matter of fact, I spent a bit of time on the phone with a fellow cadet last night. He was on his way to drop his son off at Baylor. Although our schedules are busy with family and career, we take advantages of the opportunities to reconnect.

I'm a rural flyover country elitist. For the most part I prefer the company of rural people.

We don't network at banquets or fancy restaurants, we network at backyard barbecues and bonfires.   

Offline Longmire

« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2016, 04:31:43 pm »
Perry has got a good record of bringing jobs to Texas during a very poor economic climate nationally. He speaks plainly and would be a good fit as Sec. of Commerce.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2016, 05:10:34 pm »
If Cruz has a problem in Texas, it's because Trump is setting up a generational time bomb.  Trump is losing Gen X by double digits and Millennials by over 30 points.  This is the future of Texas, folks.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_TX_81616.pdf

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2016, 05:16:20 pm »
I don't know if Cruz is that much more conservative on the issues, CR seems to be run by Mark Levine who give those ratings.  The one bill Cruz passed was a bipartisan effort, he has not forced any conservative bills through congress and gotten them signed.

Cruz's wife was in CFR, pushed for the North American Community with Mexico and Canada.

Cruz has wanted to issue more green cards, H1B1 visas and flopped around on the immigration issue.

I mean, someone was posting about George Soros, CFR is a quite dangerous organization as well.

Loans from Goldman Sachs that were not fully declared during the campaign.
CFR is a think tank. George Soros is in a position to influence things, financially, and although a bud of Trump, far richer. Maybe we should have a thread about Trump's deals with the Saudis, if you want to talk Global Banking and such.

I won't bother to refute the rest of your talking points except to say one senator cannot pass a bill. It takes a majority and a quorum. If you think Duh-1 is going to sign ANY conservative legislation, even if hand delivered by Angels with a personal appearance by The Almighty, you have another think coming. Considering Cruz is just one man, How in the heck is he supposed to pass a conservative bill and get it signed by Obama?

Really. Your 'logic' is poo.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2016, 05:18:05 pm »
Perry has got a good record of bringing jobs to Texas during a very poor economic climate nationally. He speaks plainly and would be a good fit as Sec. of Commerce.
Perry? That was an oil boom. We had one in North Dakota, too.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2016, 05:25:21 pm »
CFR is a think tank. George Soros is in a position to influence things, financially, and although a bud of Trump, far richer. Maybe we should have a thread about Trump's deals with the Saudis, if you want to talk Global Banking and such.

I won't bother to refute the rest of your talking points except to say one senator cannot pass a bill. It takes a majority and a quorum. If you think Duh-1 is going to sign ANY conservative legislation, even if hand delivered by Angels with a personal appearance by The Almighty, you have another think coming. Considering Cruz is just one man, How in the heck is he supposed to pass a conservative bill and get it signed by Obama?

Really. Your 'logic' is poo.

Its another leftist tactic.

When Nancy Pelosi was speaker she didn't allow freshmen bill to come to the floor without her express approval meaning no GOP freshman could do anything but vote on existing bills. Sure enough the next time an election rolled around the democrats called my freshman congressman a placeholder who never even sponsored any useful legislation.

Fact is that these rabidly anti Cruz people are likely GOP manipulators just like those at TOS.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2016, 05:43:10 pm »
@IsailedawayfromFR I read an account recently from a man who fought against Gadaffi before he was deposed. He said life was much better in Libya when Gadaffi was in power than it is now. I'll wager the average Syrian feels the same way.

By "average Syrian" I'm guessing you mean those still alive and in-country.  Or, maybe just those still alive.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2016, 05:46:48 pm »
By "average Syrian" I'm guessing you mean those still alive and in-country.  Or, maybe just those still alive.
I'm not sure why the average Syrian would be worrying about life in Libya, anyway. Seems to me Syria has its own fish to fry.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2016, 06:08:25 pm »
Texas is in play with Trump only leading by 6. LOL, 44-38 with 6 for Johnson and 2 for Stein.

Great job there, throwing Utah and Texas into swing-states.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2016, 06:31:41 pm »

It wasn't just oil that made the Texas economy hum and Perry was very good at attracting business from other states. I'll wager a direct comparison between Texas to North Dakota would reveal exactly which state is a one trick economic pony though.  :pondering:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2016, 09:14:04 pm »
It wasn't just oil that made the Texas economy hum and Perry was very good at attracting business from other states. I'll wager a direct comparison between Texas to North Dakota would reveal exactly which state is a one trick economic pony though.  :pondering:
Actually, agriculture is the big thing here, and has been for well over a century.
Oil going from 40 to 140 definitely had some influence on the economy, wherever oil was drilled. Still does, only it went back down. Typically, ag prices have taken a hit, too, but it is an election year and those are the industries with the most conservative people I can think of, as a rule, and TPTB don't want folks like us too prosperous during an election year. It's bad for Liberals.

Coal remains big here yet, oil and gas have their ups and downs, and we are a consistent electrical energy exporter, too. Compared to Texas, we have a lot less land area, fewer people, no gulf of Mexico, so there are quite a few things which are different from Texas. Our illegal aliens usually cross the border going in the direction y'all wish your would go (headed south). We even have Texans from time to time, but winter usually sends them home. Drop your population to 750K and have subzero winters the length of ours and we'll compare. Seriously, though, oil booms drive a host of other sectors, including manufacturing. We just don't have the Mexican carpenters and welders to keep up, so we'll have to leave that part to y'all..  ^-^

As for businesses relocating to Texas, I'll give credit where credit is due, there was an aggressive campaign to get people to move from places like California to Texas, especially over taxes and regulations, and I can sure see businesses wanting to make that move. But if the numbers don't work out, they'll just have the auction with a different accent.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2016, 01:12:14 pm »

All of mining and logging, which includes the oil drilling and production, is typically ~2% of the Texas jobs.

See tables 2 and 3 for the total number of jobs for the 12 largest employment sectors at the link:
https://assets.recenter.tamu.edu/documents/articles/1862.pdf
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2016, 07:00:42 pm »
All of mining and logging, which includes the oil drilling and production, is typically ~2% of the Texas jobs.

See tables 2 and 3 for the total number of jobs for the 12 largest employment sectors at the link:
https://assets.recenter.tamu.edu/documents/articles/1862.pdf
Interesting, thanks!

C S Lewis

Offline CSM

« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2016, 07:02:36 pm »
This deserves the double-facepalm award for extreme irrelevance.

Cruz isn't up for re-election this cycle.

That is exactly what I was thinking.  I keep hearing how the current presidential polling data is flawed because it is too early and "skewwed democrat."  Yet, we are to believe this poll that is over 2 years before Ted Cruz is on a ballot AND is a poll of "people."

Jeesh, could not be more irrelevant!

geronl

« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2016, 07:15:57 pm »
That is exactly what I was thinking.  I keep hearing how the current presidential polling data is flawed because it is too early and "skewwed democrat."  Yet, we are to believe this poll that is over 2 years before Ted Cruz is on a ballot AND is a poll of "people."

also a poll taken in a year where Trump has dragged down the Republican brand

Offline thackney

« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2016, 07:19:09 pm »
Interesting, thanks!

It is a little deceiving in that some other groups are significantly influenced by oil, construction for example.

But in our complete system, when oil/gas prices fall, refinery and petrochem often pick up.  One wants top dollar for their production, the other benefits from low feedstock prices.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer