Author Topic: Trump casts doubt on electoral system  (Read 9091 times)

Offline RetBobbyMI

Re: Trump casts doubt on electoral system
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2016, 10:08:59 pm »
Are any of you employed???   :pondering:
NOPE!  Proudly retired after almost 40 years of service to this country.  Now trying to mount a defense against the internal tyranny spending viral contempt for the constitution that millions like me swore to protect and defend.

The FBI said Hillary didn't do anything criminal that would have landed anyone else in jail.  Trump can't even spell constitution, even if he thinks it is just part of his morning ritual.  I refuse to vote for anyone that swear on a stack of bibles that he or she will uphold the Constitution of the United States, AND MEAN IT.  I don't vote for parties, I vote for the person and the values they uphold.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2016, 10:28:20 pm »
He's apparently not a big fan of basic civics education either.

That quote would seem to disqualify him from taking the oath of office should somehow he gets enough votes.

How can one protect the Constitution if one says it is illegitimate?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2016, 10:33:16 pm »
"Donald Trump is casting doubt on the prospect of fair elections come November, criticism that could prompt his supporters to reject the possibility of a Hillary Clinton victory in the fall as fraudulent."
The democratic fraud machine is growing stronger.
If anything, modern electronic voting increases "the possibilities".
Actually, it has been strong for some time, at least as far back as when Lyndon won his first election.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/02/11/us/how-johnson-won-election-he-d-lost.html

One does not need technology if one can read gravestones at the cemetery.  Those same people are still available to them for some more needed votes in the future.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2016, 10:37:05 pm »
@sinkspur
He will leave the election saying he must save his company for his grandchildren, that he can't afford to run the country while his great company needs him.  Money/power is his life and he is not about to sacrifice his company for this country that is full of people who don't appreciate him.  They deserve for him to leave them in the lurch.  That will show them and he will remain the King of the Hill on top of his tower in New York City. /s

At the risk of assuming it was not a lie, I recall when asked at one of the debates that Trump said he would hand over his company completely to the kids in order to run the country.

I know he may not have been telling the truth, but that is what he had said, which is directly opposite to your comments otherwise.

geronl

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2016, 11:04:12 pm »
I'm seriously beginning to think that the true leader of the #nevertrump movement is actually Trump himself.

I called him the lead Spokesman for NeverTrump a long time ago. lol

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2016, 11:16:38 pm »
NOPE!  Proudly retired after almost 40 years of service to this country.  Now trying to mount a defense against the internal tyranny spending viral contempt for the constitution that millions like me swore to protect and defend.

The FBI said Hillary didn't do anything criminal that would have landed anyone else in jail.  Trump can't even spell constitution, even if he thinks it is just part of his morning ritual.  I refuse to vote for anyone that swear on a stack of bibles that he or she will uphold the Constitution of the United States, AND MEAN IT.  I don't vote for parties, I vote for the person and the values they uphold.

What's sad is that all RiV can do as a rebuttal is question our employment status. What does that have to do with anything?

Wingnut

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2016, 11:24:42 pm »
What's sad is that all RiV can do as a rebuttal is question our employment status. What does that have to do with anything?

RIV's good at deleting posts in her little Trump fiefdom topic. So she has that going for her.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 11:25:19 pm by Wingnut »

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2016, 11:28:21 pm »
RIV's good at deleting posts in her little Trump fiefdom topic. So she has that going for her.
Sounds like something they would do over at TOS until they found Zotting easier.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline skeeter

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2016, 11:29:53 pm »
That quote would seem to disqualify him from taking the oath of office should somehow he gets enough votes.

How can one protect the Constitution if one says it is illegitimate?

There's something else Trump has in common with Clinton - she dislikes the electoral system too.

Of course a couple of New York liberals think California, New York, & Illinois should get to select our president every four years.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2016, 11:41:08 pm »

Those kinds of snarky, meaningless, albeit nasty comments by RiV are the very reason that she is the ONLY one I have on permanent "IGNORE."

Not one word comes from her keyboard that has any worth.   **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2016, 11:42:31 pm »
There's something else Trump has in common with Clinton - she dislikes the electoral system too.

Of course a couple of New York liberals think California, New York, & Illinois should get to select our president every four years.

Exactly.  BOTH Trump and Hillary would love it if the rich, powerful (liberal) states picked every President.

They are both leftists, cut from the same elitist cloth, and completely ignorant of the Constitution.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline skeeter

« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2016, 11:46:37 pm »
Exactly.  BOTH Trump and Hillary would love it if the rich, powerful (liberal) states picked every President.

They are both leftists, cut from the same elitist cloth, and completely ignorant of the Constitution.

Of course populist demagogues would love to do away with the electoral college, which protects smaller less populous states, in favor of the popular vote.

A position on this issue would define a constitutionalist from a statist better than any other could.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2016, 11:47:52 pm »

Thank you for your service.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2016, 12:43:31 am »
I'm seriously beginning to think that the true leader of the #nevertrump movement is actually Trump himself.

You are not alone... :beer:

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2016, 12:58:54 am »
Of course populist demagogues would love to do away with the electoral college, which protects smaller less populous states, in favor of the popular vote.

A position on this issue would define a constitutionalist from a statist better than any other could.

I want my state to go proportional and further break up the electoral vote. As it stands, whoever wins Detroit, Flint, and Ann Arbor wins the entire state under our current winner take all system. If we start awarding electoral votes according to the winner of each district we have a fighting chance again.

Also a by district proportional system would kill the institutionalized cheating that goes on in places like Detroit. Currently that only have to cheat in a handful of solidly democrat districts to win the whole state. Under a proportional system they could produce a billion votes in Detroit but would still only get 1 electoral vote per district.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2016, 12:59:16 am »
Adrian Gray ‏@adrian_gray  46m46 minutes ago
GOP winning streaks: 

White women: 20 years
White Catholics: 20 years
White College Grads:  68 years

(Trump is losing each)
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2016, 12:18:34 pm »
Are any of you employed???   :pondering:
Gainfully, 34 years, same industry, oil and gas (believe it or not).

Wingnut

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2016, 01:03:25 pm »
Gainfully, 34 years, same industry, oil and gas (believe it or not).

I'm out standing in a field myself.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2016, 01:25:34 pm »
I want my state to go proportional and further break up the electoral vote. As it stands, whoever wins Detroit, Flint, and Ann Arbor wins the entire state under our current winner take all system. If we start awarding electoral votes according to the winner of each district we have a fighting chance again.

Also a by district proportional system would kill the institutionalized cheating that goes on in places like Detroit. Currently that only have to cheat in a handful of solidly democrat districts to win the whole state. Under a proportional system they could produce a billion votes in Detroit but would still only get 1 electoral vote per district.
All for proportional electoral allocation by congressional district plus 2 statewide, provided this country can get the gerrymandering under control.  The Dems and GOP fight over this every 10 years to the detriment of the American voting class. Proportional representation was never meant to be a political tool of the major parties, but that is what is has become and with the help of the Federal courts.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2016, 02:28:42 pm »
All for proportional electoral allocation by congressional district plus 2 statewide, provided this country can get the gerrymandering under control.  The Dems and GOP fight over this every 10 years to the detriment of the American voting class. Proportional representation was never meant to be a political tool of the major parties, but that is what is has become and with the help of the Federal courts.

I like gerrymandering, without it the Democrats would have complete control of the country.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2016, 02:46:42 pm »
I like gerrymandering, without it the Democrats would have complete control of the country.

Ted Cruz spoke about Gerrymandering in his book and he tends to agree. Obviously there are ridiculously extreme cases that shouldn't exist but most congressional districts have fairly static boundaries and tend to encompass primarily democrat or republicans.

I do get nervous about redistricting because I'm within a stone's throw of the Dingell district but fortunately the democrats don't want us in their district and the republicans do want us in theirs.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2016, 04:07:08 pm »
http://discovermagazine.com/2004/sep/math-against-tyranny

"...Congress had teetered on the verge of wrecking the electoral college, an institution that has no equal anywhere in the world. This group of ordinary citizens, elected by all who vote, elects, in turn, the nation’s president and vice president. Though the college still stood, Natapoff worried that sometime soon, well-meaning reformers might try again to destroy it. The only way to prevent such a tragedy, he thought, would be to get people to understand the real but hidden value of our peculiar, roundabout voting procedure. He’d have to dig down to basic principles. He’d have to give them a mathematical explanation of why we need the electoral college.

"Natapoff’s self-chosen labor has taken him more than two decades. But now that the journal Public Choice is about to publish his groundbreaking article, he can finally relax a bit; he might even take a vacation. In addition to this nontechnical article, which skimps on the math, he’s worked out a formal theorem that demonstrates, he claims, why our complex electoral system is "provably" better than a simple, direct election. Furthermore, he adds, without this quirky glitch in the system, our democracy might well have fallen apart long ago into warring factions."
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2016, 05:25:57 pm »
Ted Cruz spoke about Gerrymandering in his book and he tends to agree. Obviously there are ridiculously extreme cases that shouldn't exist but most congressional districts have fairly static boundaries and tend to encompass primarily democrat or republicans.

I do get nervous about redistricting because I'm within a stone's throw of the Dingell district but fortunately the democrats don't want us in their district and the republicans do want us in theirs.

When a liberal wails about gerrymandering, I agree and take it a step further, suggesting that gerrymandering for Senate seats should also be outlawed.

It's a rare occasion when a liberal has a correct response to that...lol.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2016, 05:44:48 pm »
The electoral system is part of what protects the small states from the large states.

And, the more rural from the urbanized.  The middle of the country from the coasts. 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2016, 05:59:19 pm »
And, the more rural from the urbanized.  The middle of the country from the coasts.

Which is exactly why corrupt NY liberal elitists like Hillary and Donald don't like it.