Author Topic: Assessing the Long, Plodding Sales Pitch From Hillary Clinton at the DNC to Convince America  (Read 452 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: NATIONAL REVIEW

URL: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/438497/assessing-long-plodding-sales-pitch-hillary-clinton

by: Jim Geraghty

Last Night's acceptance speech by Hillary Clinton was not particularly enjoyable to listen to for 57 minutes, but it probably did the job. In fact, if she doesn’t get a sizable polling bump out of this convention, which largely worked and dodged the problems that Democrats feared, then it will be time for Hillary and her allies to panic.

By her standards, this was pretty good delivery. There were occasional moments where she enjoyed herself, speaking with genuine affection for Bill and Chelsea. Yet I’ve never seen anyone look so unhappy while telling us, “I’m so happy this day has come.”

She tried to reach out to her skeptics, declaring, “I get it that some people just don’t know what to make of me.” Eh, I’m not sure that’s the case, Madam Secretary. People feel like they know you, and they know what they think of you, and it’s not particularly fond or trusting. Even the best speechwriters in the world can’t change that.

You can tell that she feels she has a newfound purpose because Donald Trump is her rival. She’s not just collecting the title she felt she deserved back in 2008. If she had run against Jeb Bush or Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio, she would have had to paint any of them as some unhinged right-wing extremist, eager to usher in a dystopian future by cutting taxes and taking money from the Koch brothers, etc. With Trump, she has a target that’s given her one easy target after another: from ties made in Mexico to mocking a handicapped reporter to boasting he “knows more about ISIS than the generals do” or that “I alone can fix it.”

She’s shooting fish in a barrel on those. The question is, did tonight bring these aspects of Trump to a new audience? Or is this already priced in with Trump? Is there any statement Trump could say that would shake his current level of support? Even more, she gets to flatter Americans by telling them that voting for her is an act of national virtue: “America is great – because America is good.”

The speech tried to mix a sales pitch to Trump-skeptic Republicans with a laundry list of liberal initiatives.

We’ll see if that works; l suspect they’ll cancel each other out. Finally, the Sanders delegates had every right to protest, but at some point, they should have just allowed her to finish. Their heckling, and the “HILL-A-RY” chants designed to drown out the heckling, further interrupted whatever rhythm or momentum the speech could build.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 02:58:30 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline SirLinksALot

Todd Huston of Breitbart noticed:

After nearly three days of speeches and video propaganda one major part of Democrat Nominee Hillary Clinton’s life’s work has gone virtually unmentioned during the Democrat National Convention in Philadelphia. Even as speaker after speaker lauded Hillary’s career in public life, no mention of the Bill and Hillary Clinton Foundation has been uttered from the dais.

It is true that for years we have heard of the “wonderful work” the Clinton Foundation does… something about poor people, AIDS, and so forth. Best not to ask for any details, though. Haiti does not seem to have benefitted enormously from the billion dollars-plus said to have been raised for it.

Maybe that is the trigger. But this silence also indicates that the Dems realize that they have lost the argument on what used to be one of the biggest talking points of the Hillary-as-savior faction.

I think that the image of Clintons raising money ostensibly for poor people that ends up hiring private jets, luxury hotels, and paying political staff in the out years is fairly toxic for Hillary. She is so unlikable that people can actually believe that she might be a big phony when she claims to be devoted to helping the poor but just accidentally ends up fabulously rich and living the jet set high life.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:08:42 pm by SirLinksALot »

geronl

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
If I was on the DNC, I'd be livid.

They laid on one hell of a good convention - WAY better than the RNC overall - and it was capped by a lacklusterly droning grandma. Listened to her for a bit and I felt like Charlie Brown at school.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink