Author Topic: Turkey sees over 40% drop in visitors amid security crisis  (Read 558 times)

rangerrebew

Turkey sees over 40% drop in visitors amid security crisis
« on: July 28, 2016, 11:10:03 am »
Turkey sees over 40% drop in visitors amid security crisis
By AFP     10 mins ago in World

The number of foreigners visiting Turkey dropped over 40 percent in June to its lowest level this year as the impact of attacks and previous tensions with Russia caused havoc for the vital tourism industry, statistics showed Thursday.

The latest figures do not take into account the June 28 attack on Istanbul's main international airport blamed on jihadists and the July 15 military coup which are likely to have further unnerved tourists.

The fall will worry many working in the tourism industry as June is usually the start of the popular summer season. Last year, the industry brought in $35.1 billion in revenues.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/world/turkey-sees-over-40-drop-in-visitors-amid-security-crisis/article/471171#ixzz4FhVGe6hW

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Turkey sees over 40% drop in visitors amid security crisis
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 01:13:44 am »
I'm surprised that it's just 40 percent.

That suggests that a large remaining cohort of those tourists still going there are either clueless or in denial...

rangerrebew

Re: Turkey sees over 40% drop in visitors amid security crisis
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 04:50:57 pm »
I'm surprised that it's just 40 percent.

That suggests that a large remaining cohort of those tourists still going there are either clueless or in denial...

Actually, I don't think it is good as it looks.  That kind of drop within a few weeks must be mostly cancellations by people already with reservations.  I think the long term effect is going to be devastating.  At least I hope so.