Author Topic: Trump edges ahead of Clinton in U.S. presidential race: Reuters/Ipsos poll  (Read 1260 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Trump edges ahead of Clinton in U.S. presidential race: Reuters/Ipsos poll

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-poll-idUSKCN1062MC

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump posted a two-point lead over his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton, according to a Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll released on Tuesday, the first time he has been ahead since early May.

Trump's gains came as he accepted his party's nomination to the Nov. 8 ballot at the four-day Republican National Convention in Cleveland last week, and as Clinton's nomination in Philadelphia this week was marred by party divisions and the resignation of a top party official.

The July 22-26 poll found that 39 percent of likely voters supported Trump, 37 percent supported Clinton and 24 percent would vote for neither. The poll had a credibility interval of 4 percentage points, meaning that the two candidates should be considered about even in support.

Clinton held a three-point lead on Friday, which was also within the credibility interval.

Clinton has solidly led Trump in the poll throughout most of the 2016 presidential race. The only times that Trump has matched her level of support were when the Republican Party appeared to be roughly aligned with his campaign.

snip
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 03:21:24 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline LMAO

It's funny that when the current trends  start to favor Trump, and I believe currently they do, the polls all are accurate all of a sudden

Nate Silver, who just a month ago was wrong, now is right since  his model currently favors Trump.

This is why you neither fully embrace polls nor fully dismiss them, either

But there's no doubt  Trump got a bounce from his convention.  Time will tell if that holds
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Axel

The Party is coalescing around Trump. :patriot:

I still don't place much faith in individual polls, but collectively they can show a trend, and Trump is definitely trending up. The only question is whether Hillary gets a similar bump from her convention. It doesn't look like either candidate will hit 50% in the polls though.
"The Gutter Rat's going to continue to trash Romney, and Romney's going to tell the country why he should be president.

And Romney is going to win" - Sinkspur's incredible insight into the 2012 election

Offline bolobaby

Sigh. Give it time, folks. This is the same crap the pollsters and press do every year. They create polls that make it look much closer than it really is. We all know that in the months just before the election, coverage on Trump will be 90% negative (not a hard accomplishment, given the fertile material he continually provides). After that, he plummets like a rock and the GOPe sits there scratching their head wondering how they lost another one.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Axel

Sigh. Give it time, folks. This is the same crap the pollsters and press do every year. They create polls that make it look much closer than it really is. We all know that in the months just before the election, coverage on Trump will be 90% negative (not a hard accomplishment, given the fertile material he continually provides). After that, he plummets like a rock and the GOPe sits there scratching their head wondering how they lost another one.

Nothing to date in this election cycle suggests that additional negative coverage with affect Trump negatively. I also don't see how the press could be more negative than it has. Moreover, Trump has a treasure trove of avenues to attack Hillary Clinton. Either you're a pessimist, or omniscient.
"The Gutter Rat's going to continue to trash Romney, and Romney's going to tell the country why he should be president.

And Romney is going to win" - Sinkspur's incredible insight into the 2012 election

Offline bolobaby

Nothing to date in this election cycle suggests that additional negative coverage with affect Trump negatively. I also don't see how the press could be more negative than it has. Moreover, Trump has a treasure trove of avenues to attack Hillary Clinton. Either you're a pessimist, or omniscient.

I'm a realist. They haven't even begun to go after Trump in any real fashion. They've been too busy using the circus show to get ratings. When it's time to get real, they'll bury him.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline sinkspur

In the Reuters/Ipsos poll, Trump has never been out of the 30s.  Hillary has been in the high 40s, so the email scandal has really hurt her.  There is little indication that Trump is doing anything but firming up support he already had.

They should both worry about this number:

24% indicated they would vote for neither

I'm betting this will be a below-50% election with historic numbers sitting it out.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

HAPPY2BME

Offline Mesaclone

I'm a realist. They haven't even begun to go after Trump in any real fashion. They've been too busy using the circus show to get ratings. When it's time to get real, they'll bury him.

You are correct in assessing the methodology that will be employed by the Dems/Media. If the GOP were running a traditional candidate like a Cruz, Rubio or Bush...this would be a very effective tactic. Trump, I believe, will be far more able to resist this kind of attack...he's already widely seen as a bit of a scoundrel by the general public, and they LIKE that about him. Call it the Han Solo effect. Trump also has a way of controlling the media cycle, often against the intentions of the manipulated media, and that will be a very important tool moving forward. Its going to be a hard battle, and it would certainly help if the Nevertrumps would relent in their ceaseless attacks on him...they are serving Hillary's interest, whether intentionally or otherwise.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

HAPPY2BME

Its going to be a hard battle, and it would certainly help if the Nevertrumps would relent in their ceaseless attacks on him...they are serving Hillary's interest, whether intentionally or otherwise.

========================================

Oh, its INTENTIONAL.  Completely.  And calculated to elect Hillary Clinton.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
========================================

Oh, its INTENTIONAL.  Completely.  And calculated to elect Hillary Clinton.

@Mesaclone

Wait a minute.  I thought we didn't matter?

Could you guys please make you your minds.   Its hard keeping all these insults straight.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.