Author Topic: Thiel: Fake Culture Wars Only Distract Us From Our Economic Decline  (Read 1341 times)

rangerrebew

Thiel: Fake Culture Wars Only Distract Us From Our Economic Decline

Posted By Tim Hains
On Date July 21, 2016

Paypal founder and Silicon Valley entrepreneur Peter Thiel spoke on the fourth night of the 2016 Republican National Convention.

"I am proud to be gay. I am proud to be a Republican. But most of all I am proud to be an American," he said.

The crowd erupted with a standing ovation that turned into a short chant of “USA! USA! USA!”

“I don’t pretend to agree with every plank in our party’s platform. But fake culture wars only distract us from our economic decline," he said. "When I was a kid, the great debate was about how to defeat the Soviet Union. And we won. Now we are told that the great debate is about who gets to use which bathroom. This is a distraction from our real problems. Who cares?"

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/07/21/thiel_fake_culture_wars_only_distract_us_from_our_economic_decline.html
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 11:45:57 am by rangerrebew »

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Re: Thiel: Fake Culture Wars Only Distract Us From Our Economic Decline
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 12:04:26 pm »
LGBTQ
Gender Justice
Subsidized child care
Student loan relief
Mandated equal pay
Conspiracy kookery

And that was just two days worth. Perhaps they are witlessly following Nixon's playbook...run right in primary and move to the center (leftward) for the general.

At this rate, this outfit will be to the left of Mao in two weeks.

@LonestarDream

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 01:03:40 pm »
Seems that Trump's GOP has shown us the door.

The dignified thing to do is use it.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 01:34:12 pm »
Thiel: Fake Culture Wars Only Distract Us From Our Economic Decline

The man ( if he still considers himself that ) is a hypocrite.

His company, PayPal STARTED the war by withdrawing plans to open a facility in Charlotte after North Carolina  passed a bill that essentially restored everything to what it was before.

Mr. Thiel ( if you still want to be called Mister ) --- YOU are the one declaring war and by your company's action, are CONTRIBUTING to economic decline.

The sad thing is the Republicans actually APPLAUDED this man.

That the Trump team actually INVITED him to speak tells me more about his values than anything else.

I don't recognize the Republican party anymore.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 01:36:34 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline unknown

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 05:12:45 pm »

Fake culture war eh?

That's not what God says.

“Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them. For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen."

"For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭1:24-27‬ ‭NASB‬‬

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 05:31:07 pm »
Fake culture war eh?

That's not what God says.

“Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them. For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen."

"For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭1:24-27‬ ‭NASB‬‬

And while we know the scriptures are true and valid - keep in mind that we were warned in advance by Yeshua Himself - that we would be hated of all nations and literally put to death (Matthew 24:9).  A wayward people will make their own morality and those who adhere to principle and the Word of God will be hated, targeted and punished for holding onto those truths.

"For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and follow lies.   But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry." - II Timothy 4:3-5
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 05:44:11 pm »

Lots more to this case.

Forgive me, but are you in favor of or opposed to the direction that Trump is taking the party? I can't quite make it out.

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 06:27:49 pm »
And while we know the scriptures are true and valid - keep in mind that we were warned in advance by Yeshua Himself - that we would be hated of all nations and literally put to death (Matthew 24:9).  A wayward people will make their own morality and those who adhere to principle and the Word of God will be hated, targeted and punished for holding onto those truths.

"For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and follow lies.   But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry." - II Timothy 4:3-5

This.

As an aging former agnostic turned Deist, I'm constantly surprised at the wisdom of the Scriptures, here now as we watch this nation fall.  It was drilled into me when I was young.  I learned it but I had no use for it; and I had no perspective.  And we were much more of a moral society in those years.

Now, what the Prophets warned us of, is coming, exactly, to pass.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 07:36:42 pm »
Opposed.  I'm just saying that culture and economy are tied together.
….  My major point was just that culture and economics are intrinsically tied together and nothing will ever change that.

Excellently stated.

And the reason for that is clearly laid out in scripture. Because a culture that practices justice as God defines it - will prosper and be blessed.  A culture that practices injustice, wickedness, hedonism and every selfish act and desire that runs the rest of the world - will result in collapse and destruction for a people that were once His.

I dare everyone here to read Deuteronomy chapter 28 right now.

Try telling me that the first 15 verses of that chapter were NOT complete fulfillments of our founding as a nation.  Ask yourself: How did we go from such a young country to the greatest superpower the world has ever seen in it's entire history in such a short time?  Those first 15 verses tell you why.

Now I double dog dare you to read verses 15 to 68.  Forget the false teaching that these verses only applied to Ancient Israel.

Those curses are happening to us right now as you sit and read this.

Tell me you are not watching verse 43-44 happen before your eyes.

The foreigners who reside among you will rise above you higher and higher, but you will sink lower and lower. They will lend to you, but you will not lend to them. They will be the head, but you will be the tail.

Our culture, economy, safety, government, produce and industry are all tied together.  A moral and righteous people preserve liberty so that they can worship God freely without hindrance or oppression, lift up the orphan and widow and serve the poor of their own hand and work together for the benefit of opportunity to enjoy what God intended for them.  A selfish, vulgar, materialistic, evil, hedonistic and indifferent people who corrupt a culture - reject God and make government their lord, and in so doing destroy the economy, safety, government, produce and industry.  As God tells us in verse 45:

All these curses will come on you. They will pursue you and overtake you until you are destroyed, because you did not obey the Lord your God and observe the commands and decrees he gave you.

And right there, unless this nation pulls a Nineveh - you are looking at the destiny of this country in the very near future.

You can argue against and dismiss that if you like, but the warning is given.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 08:06:59 pm »
This is not a culture war to decide whether a man has a right to a girl's restroon.

It is called morality, and this perp must have none to condone it.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 11:31:02 pm »
As Donald Trump Sr. is very close with his children, who are all socially liberal, and takes their advice,  this might indicate the direction Trump would go on social issues if elected.
Trump Jr. has been quoted as saying he just can't understand opposition to homo marriage and abortion.  I would guess from their comments the other Trump children think the same.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 11:38:53 pm »
Show me a fiscally conservative social "Moderate" and I'll show you a liberal.

I had a congressman who declared himself to be socially moderate but fiscally conservative who never saw an abortion funding bill he didn't like or a pro lifer he did like.

geronl

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 11:40:19 pm »
If that is side of Trumptanic on this issue,

they will always be my enemy

geronl

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 11:41:14 pm »
As Donald Trump Sr. is very close with his children

They barely knew him until they were grown and started working for him

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 01:19:18 am »
don-o wrote:
"Forgive me, but are you in favor of or opposed to the direction that Trump is taking the party?"

I'm not the person towards whom you were askin' that question, but I'll answer.

I think the most important "direction" in which Mr. Trump "takes" the party may be to that state of mind in which those "Republicans", "conservatives", "of the right" (or whatever other group moniker you wish to assign) no longer fear to say openly that which is politically incorrect.

This forum has of late filled up like a rain barrel in a flood with folks who are quick to state that they think Trump is boorish, crude, too quick to attack, too loose with his words, etc., etc.

I welcome the change.
I want to see down-and-out nasty, screaming-in-the-enemy's face, drag-em-through-the-mud battles.
I want to see spades called spades.
I want to hear the other side come back with "racis'", "homophobes", "xenophobes", "supremacists", or whatever.
And I want to see our side stay rational and KEEP RIGHT ON REPEATING its argument, as if the attacks of the left were nothing more than water off a duck's back.

Do you really think you're going to beat the left and the toady media that supports it any other way?

The legacy of the Trump campaign in 2016 reminds me of Ghandi's quip:
 First they ignore you;
 Then they laugh at you;
 Then they fight you;
 Then you win.

Addendum:
I -support- the culture warriors of the right. Pat Buchanan was -right- back then in '92 when he made that speech before the Republican convention.
Regardless of Donald Trump's personal attitudes towards traditional cultural values (and the left's fight against them), I contend that his presidency will make it significantly easier for the hard right to win in the future -- again, by breaking down the walls of political correctness behind which we have been herded for so long.
Not only by the left and by the media, but by the Republican party (and its members in Congress) itself.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 01:24:31 am by Fishrrman »

geronl

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 01:22:58 am »

I think the most important "direction" in which Mr. Trump "takes" the party may be to that state of mind in which those "Republicans", "conservatives", "of the right" (or whatever other group moniker you wish to assign) no longer fear to say openly that which is politically incorrect.

People getting bashed, their families slandered and their jobs threatened for not endorsing Trump is also a form of political correctness. The Trump Side is as guilty of political correctness as the left has been.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 01:29:49 am »

People getting bashed, their families slandered and their jobs threatened for not endorsing Trump is also a form of political correctness. The Trump Side is as guilty of political correctness as the left has been.

Yeah I've been called a kike, ni**er etc. I've been threatened with everything from deportation to burning alive. That's not being politically incorrect, that's being a scumbag.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 01:43:58 am »

I want to see down-and-out nasty, screaming-in-the-enemy's face, drag-em-through-the-mud battles.
I want to see spades called spades.
I want to hear the other side come back with "racis'", "homophobes", "xenophobes", "supremacists", or whatever.
And I want to see our side stay rational and KEEP RIGHT ON REPEATING its argument, as if the attacks of the left were nothing more than water off a duck's back.

Do you really think you're going to beat the left and the toady media that supports it any other way?

So you want a cage match.  That's what we figured is the case with most of Trumps fanatics.  They want to see Jersey Shore go down in the political world.

They do not care that it is scripted as long as it looks and feels good.

However, your Champion WWF wrestlemania celebrity is not attacking the person or the party you supposedly fear and hate to get into the White House.

He and his entourage are busy kicking the person and people he supposedly vanquished while leaving Hildabeast untouched.

Who you and yours see as the enemy to scream at and fight - are those of us who will not bend the knee to your anointed.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 03:34:56 am »
So you want a cage match.  That's what we figured is the case with most of Trumps fanatics.  They want to see Jersey Shore go down in the political world.

They do not care that it is scripted as long as it looks and feels good.

However, your Champion WWF wrestlemania celebrity is not attacking the person or the party you supposedly fear and hate to get into the White House.

He and his entourage are busy kicking the person and people he supposedly vanquished while leaving Hildabeast untouched.

Who you and yours see as the enemy to scream at and fight - are those of us who will not bend the knee to your anointed.
Trump will certainly get down and dirty, and he'll be able to nail Hillary on many things. But one thing Trump won't be able to do is explain conservatism and why leftist slugs like Obama and Hillary are taking the country down. Because he is not a conservative and does not believe in the conservative message.
So while he's slinging mud at Hillary, she can sling just as much or more mud back at him.
Nothing much will be accomplished as far as gaining votes and convincing people to vote Republican.
This is who we have selected to be our champion....a mudslinger without a cause. Except himself.

geronl

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 04:10:41 am »

And I want to see our side stay rational and KEEP RIGHT ON REPEATING its argument

Trump is not rational and he IS the left.

Offline unknown

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 06:51:00 pm »

Wow, some great words of wisdom presented on this thread from Gods Word and great analysis. Thanks all.   :amen:   

As Donald Trump Sr. is very close with his children, who are all socially liberal, and takes their advice,  this might indicate the direction Trump would go on social issues if elected.
Trump Jr. has been quoted as saying he just can't understand opposition to homo marriage and abortion.  I would guess from their comments the other Trump children think the same.

To Donald J Trump Jr., I say, "You Are Not God!"        :nono:

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)