Author Topic: Priebus Meets Privately with Mike Lee, Never Trump Leaders to Discuss Procedural Compromise  (Read 3665 times)

Offline RetBobbyMI

Dumping open primaries ought to be the number one job for all parties (why on earth should
anyone but actual Republicans be picking the Republican nominee? or anyone but actual Democrats
picking the Democratic nominee? etc.) once this convention is done. Because we don't really know
for dead last certain
---pending an actual release of any actual available numbers---how many
actual Republicans (were damn fool enough to have) voted for you-know-whom.

Meanwhile, back in the jungle . . .

Not a Single Republican Delegate is 'Bound' to Donald Trump

Haven't seen anything better said on this or any other thread.  Open primaries are the root cause for poor choices of candidates and keeping the same cronies in congress, both state and federal.  I hope they will take a strong stance for future primaries and not JUST the early ones.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Polly Ticks

I'd have chosen a different comparison if I were you. Believe it or not, folks, it was the general
public that had the original say as to whether the original Coke should be resurrected. It took a mere
three months for then-Coke chairman Roberto Goizueta to eat humble pie after the uproar
went nuclear:

Ha -- ok, valid point.  But in the end, neither I nor you (unless you were on the Coca-Cola Board of Directors) truly made the final, official decision.  Coke listened to their not-so-adoring public and their marketing department and dumped a losing business strategy for a more profitable plan.  If they had chosen to stick with New Coke/Coke II, there wouldn't have been anything we could have done about it other than not buy it.

There's a fine lesson there for the GOP, wouldn't you say?  They've been trying to sell us New Coke the past handful of elections.  We don't like New Coke.  Either provide us with Coke Classic, or don't expect us to buy your product.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

Ha -- ok, valid point.  But in the end, neither I nor you (unless you were on the Coca-Cola Board of Directors) truly made the final, official decision.  Coke listened to their not-so-adoring public and their marketing department and dumped a losing business strategy for a more profitable plan.  If they had chosen to stick with New Coke/Coke II, there wouldn't have been anything we could have done about it other than not buy it.

Oho, but without the public uproar---which was exponentially broader and deeper than even Gouizueta's geniuses could
have expected (Mr. Oliver explains one and all in the book I referenced), they probably would have stood fast with New
Coke/Coke II (there was that much hubris in the company over the idea that a new Coke just had to happen) . . . and Coca-Cola
would have gone the way of the Edsel. Once in a very blue moon a public uproar does result in exemplary action. (I grant that
often as not public uproar demanding certain things ends up producing drastically different results on the part of those who
succumb, but for once the booboisie had it right regarding Coke.)

There's a fine lesson there for the GOP,
wouldn't you say?  They've been trying to sell us New Coke the past handful of elections.  We don't like New Coke.  Either provide us
with Coke Classic, or don't expect us to buy your product.

Perfect analogy!

Even if what they've really been trying to sell us couldn't even be classified as New Coke . . .

And this time---barring a miracle at the convention---the Republican'ts aren't even selling us snake oil.
This time, they're trying to sell us the snake.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.