Author Topic: Priebus Meets Privately with Mike Lee, Never Trump Leaders to Discuss Procedural Compromise  (Read 3666 times)

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
by Tim Alberta July 14, 2016 10:03 AM @TimAlberta

CLEVELAND — Barely two hours into the much-anticipated meeting of the Convention Rules Committee, a backroom deal may be in the works.

According to two sources, Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus and top RNC officials are huddling privately with Senator Mike Lee, Virginia Committeeman Morton Blackwell, and leaders of the Never Trump movement to discuss a procedural compromise that would allow for gimmick-free votes on anti-Trump measures in exchange for their cooperation in not gumming up the works and prolonging the Rules Committee meeting unnecessarily.

The discussion is taking place during a recess from the Rules Committee meeting, which was caused by a printer jam inside the hearing room. (There are murmurs in the room that the extended recess — see the UPDATE below — has nothing to do with a printer jam, but rather with this backroom meeting.)

Kendal Unruh, the Colorado delegate who has led the charge to allow convention delegates to vote their conscience — essentially unbinding them from supporting presumptive nominee Donald Trump — is part of the meeting. So is Ken Cucinnelli, a Cruz ally who is leading the charge to restructure certain guidelines of the GOP’s nominating process.

It’s unclear whether anti-Trump representatives will agree to the deal. The incentive is unclear, as they are assured of a vote on their amendments anyway — and, in the eyes of their allies, their best chance at success may be wearing down their fellow delegates with a long, drawn-out meeting.

UPDATES AT SOURCE

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/437848/priebus-meets-privately-mike-lee-never-trump-leaders-discuss-procedural-compromise

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 05:22:58 pm by Bear_in_RoseBear »
Let it burn.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher

Really, what would be their incentive to cooperate?

Avoid Double Secret Probation?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Suppressed

Really, what would be their incentive to cooperate?

Avoid Double Secret Probation?

How pathetic it is that they are having to say "Ignore what you think is right...OR ELSE!"
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Cuccinelli is a good man...I trust him to do the right thing more than any of the others there, except Mike Lee.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
My source tells me that there is no deal and that there currently appear to be enough votes on the rules committee to send several proposed rule changes to the body of the convention for an up or down vote.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ConstitutionRose

My source tells me that there is no deal and that there currently appear to be enough votes on the rules committee to send several proposed rule changes to the body of the convention for an up or down vote.

I'd like to see that happen. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline r9etb

The really important thing is that this meeting occurred at all.  It means that Priebus and the RNC see the movement as more than just an annoyance; it's an acknowledgement that "Free the Delegates" is a serious factor at the Convention. 

I can imagine the meeting was an attempt to secure some agreement that preserves a Trump nomination. 

And given that Trump has not scaled back his antics, I begin to wonder if Priebus and the RNC might be more receptive to "Freeing the Delegates" than they might otherwise have been.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The really important thing is that this meeting occurred at all.  It means that Priebus and the RNC see the movement as more than just an annoyance; it's an acknowledgement that "Free the Delegates" is a serious factor at the Convention. 

I can imagine the meeting was an attempt to secure some agreement that preserves a Trump nomination. 

And given that Trump has not scaled back his antics, I begin to wonder if Priebus and the RNC might be more receptive to "Freeing the Delegates" than they might otherwise have been.

That is job one for sure but getting rid of open primaries going forward is hugly important as well IMHO.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Someone is worried.

And with good reason. 
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline r9etb

getting rid of open primaries going forward is hugley important as well IMHO.

Agreed in part.  However, the entire primary process, with its endless nonsense "debates," is pretty much useless in its current form.  And the trend toward earlier and earlier, multi-state primaries is actively harmful to selecting the best candidates.

It would be really helpful if there were an honest mechanism within the party for recruiting and vetting good candidates, and to create ways for candidates to demonstrate their seriousness, rather than spending entire televised events searching for the perfect sound-bite.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Agreed in part.  However, the entire primary process, with its endless nonsense "debates," is pretty much useless in its current form.  And the trend toward earlier and earlier, multi-state primaries is actively harmful to selecting the best candidates.

It would be really helpful if there were an honest mechanism within the party for recruiting and vetting good candidates, and to create ways for candidates to demonstrate their seriousness, rather than spending entire televised events searching for the perfect sound-bite.

It is my belief that getting rid of open primaries would move us greatly in that direction.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Mechanicos

Hardly. The 3rd option was to use procedural tactics to drag out the voting for days. Polling the States etc. This was a reasonable attempt to prevent the procedural disruptions. Thanks to the Federal Court ruling RNC and State Parties hold all the cards. On the table was allowing the anti people to put their proposals to the floor vote for an up or down vote in exchange for not disrupting the convention with procedural tricks.

Since the anti's would not be reasonable it could mean they could now be treated harsh without their proposals being allowed to be voted on and eviction if they disrupt. Already at least one State is replacing anti Trump delegates. And the head of the anti Trump movement from CO has an open complaint to replace the entire delegation over voting irregularities in CO.

IMHO this meeting was more an attempt at unity.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Hardly. The 3rd option was to use procedural tactics to drag out the voting for days. Polling the States etc. This was a reasonable attempt to prevent the procedural disruptions. Thanks to the Federal Court ruling RNC and State Parties hold all the cards. On the table was allowing the anti people to put their proposals to the floor vote for an up or down vote in exchange for not disrupting the convention with procedural tricks.

Since the anti's would not be reasonable it could mean they could now be treated harsh without their proposals being allowed to be voted on and eviction if they disrupt. Already at least one State is replacing anti Trump delegates. And the head of the anti Trump movement from CO has an open complaint to replace the entire delegation over voting irregularities in CO.

IMHO this meeting was more an attempt at unity.

BS! 100%. 

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline r9etb

Hardly.

Psh.

You don't call a secret meeting to deal with annoyances.

Your boy is pooping in the bathwater, and serious people are beginning to worry about it.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
so far it hasn't come up in the rules committee, a bunch of procedural stuff that would bureaucrats proud

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
That is job one for sure but getting rid of open primaries going forward is hugly important as well IMHO.

Dumping open primaries ought to be the number one job for all parties (why on earth should
anyone but actual Republicans be picking the Republican nominee? or anyone but actual Democrats
picking the Democratic nominee? etc.) once this convention is done. Because we don't really know
for dead last certain
---pending an actual release of any actual available numbers---how many
actual Republicans (were damn fool enough to have) voted for you-know-whom.

Meanwhile, back in the jungle . . .

Not a Single Republican Delegate is 'Bound' to Donald Trump
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:54:47 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

geronl

Do not compromise!! free those delegates!!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Dumping open primaries ought to be the number one job for all parties (why on earth should
anyone but actual Republicans be picking the Republican nominee? or anyone but actual Democrats
picking the Democratic nominee? etc.) once this convention is done. Because we don't really know
for dead last certain

Meanwhile, back in the jungle . . .

Not a Single Republican Delegate is 'Bound' to .

I agree that there are no bound delegates under current party rules.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:57:53 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

geronl

It might be a long-shot but they need to go for it.

Offline r9etb

It might be a long-shot but they need to go for it.

The country needs them to go for it.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
for dead last certain

We constantly complaign about how hard it is to get rid of bad incumbents in congress.  I submit that open primaries are a HUGE reason why that is.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

geronl

Cuccinelli is a good man..

He's apparently proffering rules about 2020 and not 2016 though

Offline EasyAce

We constantly complaign about how hard it is to get rid of bad incumbents in congress.  I submit that open primaries are a HUGE reason why that is.

That's one reason.

Another reason is a syndrome George F. Will identified early enough in the Reagan years, if I remember
right: Today's conservative has reached into his heart of hearts, prayed hard, and decided that it was
high time the government cut his
neighbour's benefits.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline r9etb

We constantly complain about how hard it is to get rid of bad incumbents in congress.  I submit that open primaries are a HUGE reason why that is.

I disagree.  Incumbents usually don't have primary opponents.  I'd submit that being subjected to a regular diet of primary opponents would probably improve the general level of congressional responsibility, if only by making the Representatives and Senators more accountable to the voters.

On the other hand, it also makes the seat more vulnerable to being taken by the other party.  But I think increased accountability is probably worth the risk.

Offline EasyAce

I disagree.  Incumbents usually don't have primary opponents.  I'd submit that being subjected to a regular diet of primary opponents would probably improve the general level of congressional responsibility, if only by making the Representatives and Senators more accountable to the voters.

I agree about the regular diet. But the open primaries are still an abomination whose eventual mischief could have
been predicted when they first began to fester. I give you the current state of affairs roiling the Republican Party
approaching their convention as evidence. I say again, nobody knows how many actual, genuinely committed
Republicans voted for Donaldus Minimus in the primaried
, pending any release of any actual, tangible numbers.
It could very well be that Donaldus Minimus as the presidential candidate is, in a manner of speaking, a
nominated Republican in name only.

On the other hand, it also makes the seat more vulnerable to being taken by the other party.  But I think increased accountability is probably worth the risk.

Little enough remarked, at times, is the prospect for reverse coattails if Donaldus Minimus shakes out of the
convention as the nominee. The distaste for him could very well have a disastrous effect on the down-ticket
races.