Author Topic: Senator Tim Scott: Stopped SEVEN TIMES as US Senator in the last year; Shares personal experiences  (Read 5460 times)

Offline cato potatoe

The temptation to "deify" LEO's must be recognized and resisted. But cases must rise and fall on the merits.

I don't understand our culture's reverence for policemen.  They are government workers.  And moreso than your average bureaucrat, they carry guns and have the power to ruin your life on a whim.  If you are transporting cash, they can steal it.  They can shoot your dog.  They can harass anyone without cause and either deny it or destroy the tape.  It happens all the damn time. 

Compensate them well and reward them for the risk.  But don't make excuses for them. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Nobody is deifying anyone. How about you stop making strawman arguments?

Offline skeeter

There really IS something racially wrong with some law enforcement agencies.   This is disgusting.

I believe any discussion of this topic needs to begin from the premise that police departments across this country are typically at least as ethnically diverse as the neighborhoods they patrol.

Once people accept that the typical police department these days is not Birmingham PD circa 1964 the conversion progresses a little more productively.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:58:31 pm by skeeter »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I believe any discussion of this topic needs to begin from the premise that police departments across this country are typically at least as ethnically diverse as the neighborhoods they patrol.

Once people accept that the typical police department these days is not Birmingham PD circa 1964 the conversion progresses a little more productively.

If there are 20 good cops and one bad one, that bad one can create a bad rep for the whole department.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
During the mid-late 80s, Reggie Jackson lived in Newport Beach, next door to the vice chairman of the Fluor Corp. David Tappan, on Bayside Dr.

Reggie drove a metallic purple Porsche. My guess is every cop in Newport Beach knew that Reggie could be spotted in that car, and to leave him alone.

Near to the same time, Kareem Jabbar owned at least two properties, in Newport including the Balboa Inn.

Reagan was President at those times, and John Wayne had recently died, while living at his long time residence in Newport.

Several years later, Dennis Rodman took up residence in Newport Beach for several years. He proved to be a low level nuisance with frequent calls to his home, and his restaurant-bar for problems.

For years Kobe Bryant has lived in Newport Coast. It was reported that he flew by helicopter, to downtown Lost Angeles for games.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline RedHead

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
Yes who would know what black America's real problem is better than Pat Buchanan?

To be fair, I heard he ate chitterlings once.

Offline Resp3

Yes who would know what black America's real problem is better than Pat Buchanan?

Are you being sarcastic? Well, I am with this answer:

Jesse Jackson, Barack Obama, Al Sharpton, Loretta Lynch, Eric Holder, Stephanie Rawlings Blake, Michelle Obama, NAACP leaders, Rahm Emmanuel, Henry Louis Gates, the entire Black Congressional Caucus, Tavis Smiley, Charles Blow, Oprah Winfrey, Whoopi Goldberg, and others. Many many others.

Fact is - these fools may claim to know what black America's real problem is. But they lie. They may actually know - but will never ever admit it.

Offline sinkspur

This is representative of the breakdown of the rule of law.  But not in the way many mean it.  The problem is that too many think we should find "police departments" guilty based on media testimony of this man's experience.  Isn't it possible that the good senator has questionable driving habits?

I recently read an article by Ben Sasse where he admits to receiving many speeding tickets?  Did he blame overzealous cops?  No.  He said it is because he has a lead foot.

Seven speeding tickets in one year?  Doubtful.   

I'd like to know where he was stopped.  Small town cops are still in the 60s in many of their practices and prejudices.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

HonestJohn

Should race be considered at all? If that's the case, if a white man committed a crime, should black people be considered suspects to be "colorblind"?

Who is suspicious is up to police discretion right? There are no easy answers in that realm of thought IMO.

No we don't randomly pull over every black or white man, but race is still relevant no?

The point you made was that race should be the only factor, what with your repeated lack of modifiers when referring to blacks.  "Blacks" commit more crimes.  "Blacks" should be rounded up when a crime is committed.

That's bullshyte and you should know better.

Police should be using their heads and, if a crime is committed, go look for suspects that match the description they are given.  That's *more* than just skin color.

If

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
It's like Pat Buchanan wrote; per George Zimmerman,

If he had seen a black woman walking in those apartments, his reaction would have likely been different, if he'd seen an elderly black man walking in those apartments, again, a different reaction.

But you see a young black male, that probably tipped GZ off.

Honestly, Sen. Tim Scott should not have been stopped at that.  Not that many times at least.

HonestJohn

Nobody is deifying anyone. How about you stop making strawman arguments?

Ahem. There are hundreds of news articles chronicling GOP efforts to continually add more legal protections for police nationwide just in this year alone.  If that isn't putting the police on a pedestal...

GOP Congressman Introduces 'Blue Lives Matter Act' to 'Protect Those Who Protect Us'

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/03/18/gop-congressman-introduces-blue-lives-matter-act-to-protect-those-who-protect-us-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-proposed-bill/

• Technical
Ahem. There are hundreds of news articles chronicling GOP efforts to continually add more legal protections for police nationwide just in this year alone.  If that isn't putting the police on a pedestal...

GOP Congressman Introduces 'Blue Lives Matter Act' to 'Protect Those Who Protect Us'

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/03/18/gop-congressman-introduces-blue-lives-matter-act-to-protect-those-who-protect-us-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-proposed-bill/

Not deifying. The vast majority of cops are honorable and brave and serve the public. Nobody said every single cop is a "deity".

Offline truth_seeker

If people driving white SUVs committed homicide at eight times the rate of others, wouldn't a PD be reasonable to keep careful watch of such vehicles?

That is called intelligent law enforcement, aimed at minimizing harm to the residents of the community.

Published statistics from the FBI, showing blacks with just 13% of our population, but consistently committing about 50% of homicides.

I sure want my PD to be cognoscente of this FACT, and working to keep our community safe.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/43tabledatadecoverviewpdf

The need for profiling is an  unfortunate circumstance for law abiding black people, but it is not a justification to endanger communities.

Offline Resp3

Published statistics from the FBI, showing blacks with just 13% of our population, but consistently committing about 50% of homicides.

The facts are worse than that. In real numbers - 50 percent are women - who commit far fewer crimes. It's the men committing these crimes and murders. But wait - there's more.

Break it down to age and we see little to no crimes by black males under 10 and over 35 years of age. It's the young black male (3 to 5 percent of the US population) that is committing up to 50 percent (and more) of the crimes here in the US.

Offline truth_seeker

The facts are worse than that. In real numbers - 50 percent are women - who commit far fewer crimes. It's the men committing these crimes and murders. But wait - there's more.

Break it down to age and we see little to no crimes by black males under 10 and over 35 years of age. It's the young black male (3 to 5 percent of the US population) that is committing up to 50 percent (and more) of the crimes here in the US.

The apologists will go to great lengths to obscure the dangerous facts. I for one, am grateful to have lived in a very safe community. And I know how hard our PD works, to keep it so.

They cannot be so open about it. At one time years ago for example, the town had a reputation about simply not welcoming mororcyclists, period. That was back in the times of several local MC gangs. HA, Hessians, etc.

If you crossed into our city on a MC expect to be stopped. They didn't want them in town, period. Times have changed on that.

Historically The OC was the white middle class suburb, of Lost Angeles. It was where white flight went if they could.

They were escaping from high crime, to lower crime. Hard to fault hard working families for such self-preservation choices.

In greater LA, a significant amount of crimes take place on major boulevards that exit from major freeways. If you are "of color" cruising down a big boulevard, during normal work hours, you draw attention, plain and simple.

If Asian females were committing violent crime, I want them profiled, but the girls are at local colleges and universities studying to be nurses, doctors, accountants etc. 

• Technical
I saw statistics on Twitter which showed that African Americans who make over $100,000 are more violent than whites who make less than $30,000. Just amazing statistics and nobody wants to admit them.

Offline truth_seeker

I saw statistics on Twitter which showed that African Americans who make over $100,000 are more violent than whites who make less than $30,000. Just amazing statistics and nobody wants to admit them.

Years ago when I read a well known book it described that even high income professional blacks, had out of wedlock births by a far greater percent.

And that in spite of their high incomes, they get into financial trouble.

There are so many factors pointing one direction, unless of course you wear blinders.

Offline Fantom

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 11:39:48 pm by Fantom »
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

White man commits crime, say shooting. White man flees. So should the cops not pull white men over?

You know, any white man.  Cause all you need is just the color of the skin to determine who might be the criminal.

Who is committing the murders/crime? Blacks, while comprising about 13% of the population commit over 50% of murders. Whites..Euro-Whites run a far distant third..while comprising 67% of the population.

Dig deeper and you will find that Blacks 12-29 years old commit most of those black murders. Now you have a demographic where the criminals are concentrated.

Blacks want better.. than be better. Don't start none..wont be none.

It a content of character thing.. logically and morally applied.....appropriately.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 11:50:25 pm by Fantom »
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

HonestJohn

Who is committing the murders/crime? Blacks, while comprising about 13% of the population commit over 50% of murders. Whites..Euro-Whites run a far distant third..while comprising 67% of the population.

Dig deeper and you will find that Blacks 12-29 years old commit most of those black murders. Now you have a demographic where the criminals are concentrated.

Blacks want better.. than be better. Don't start none..wont be none.

It a content of character thing.. logically and morally applied.....appropriately.

Quit quoting false statistics.

Offline Fantom

Quit quoting false statistics.

What is false about them.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I got pulled over 3 times last year.  I'm a middle-aged pasty-complected woman.  Driving in small town Texas.  Perhaps I'm being profiled. 

Offline Fantom

I got pulled over 3 times last year.  I'm a middle-aged pasty-complected woman.  Driving in small town Texas.  Perhaps I'm being profiled.

And you are still alive!!!

What in the world... you did give the Police crap and point the gun in your lap right... obviously racism.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
And you are still alive!!!

What in the world... you did give the Police crap and point the gun in your lap right... obviously racism.

Oh, heck no!  I generally like cops, so I don't have any problem being friendly.  It works every time.