Author Topic: Sasse speaks truth to power  (Read 662 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Sasse speaks truth to power
« on: July 08, 2016, 05:06:07 am »
Sasse speaks truth to power

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) took to the Senate floor yesterday to speak on the increasingly bleak human rights situation in Russia. It was among the most thoughtful and eloquent floor speeches in recent memory, confirming his role as a leading figure in the thinking-man’s GOP.

“Russia’s parliament, the Federal Assembly, has just approved so-called anti-terrorism legislation that actually criminalizes free speech and that attacks religious liberty,” he explained. “If President Putin signs this into law in the coming weeks, it will be illegal for Christians to share their faith outside of a church building, as if faith is constrained by the four walls of a structure and belief to a single day of the week.”

One cannot help but see the contrast with Donald Trump, who venerates Vladimir Putin for all the wrong reasons. “We are witnessing a rising authoritarianism in a declining state. Moscow repeatedly and routinely tramples the rights of the press, tramples on free speech, tramples on assembly, on dissent and national sovereignty,” Sasse said. “Ask the families of murdered journalists. Ask the student groups facing intimidation. Ask the political dissidents who fear imprisonment. Ask the Ukrainian people who fear being fully overrun.” Trump, of course, is either unaware or indifferent to such inconvenient truths about his role model and fellow bully. Sasse, by contrast, sees Putin for exactly who he is: “Because Putin and his cronies think that they can make Russia great again by hoarding wealth, by abusing power, and by crushing any and all opposition. They strike the pose of a strongman but this is not real strength.” It’s not coincidental that he uses the phrase “great again.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2016/06/30/sasse-speaks-truth-to-power/

Posting to show just how unaware people are of Trumps fairy tale foreign policy.  If you think Trump is for religious freedom look at who he admires and who admires him.

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

geronl

Re: Sasse speaks truth to power
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 05:17:05 am »
Sasse telling it like it is

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 05:30:30 am »
Sasse telling it like it is

They were reporting on this new law in Russia I think it was Yahoo news today.  When I read the Sasse response I thought what a dud America is preparing to elect.  Ben Sasse outstanding politician with a firm understanding of world affairs.  Compare to Trump who if you ask me is making his foreign policy from his feelings and admirations of dictators throughout the world.  Nothing Trump has to say is grounded in any kind of reality. 

Trump

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline RedHead

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 10:55:01 am »
Trump's not going to like that.  Putin's his buddy.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 10:57:37 am »

One cannot help but see the contrast with Donald Trump, who venerates Vladimir Putin for all the wrong reasons. “We are witnessing a rising authoritarianism in a declining state.

Posting to show just how unaware people are of Trumps fairy tale foreign policy.  If you think Trump is for religious freedom look at who he admires and who admires him.

Its not just foreign policy. Just last night Mike Huckabee warned that Arizona will pay for Jeff Flake not supporting Trump. These scumbags can't find the bottom of the barrel fast enough.

Yes I am against Trump because I am against all authoritarian scum

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 11:17:57 am »
Its not just foreign policy. Just last night Mike Huckabee warned that Arizona will pay for Jeff Flake not supporting Trump. These scumbags can't find the bottom of the barrel fast enough.

Gingrich... Huckabee... those were the same two names who gave "legitimacy" to Todd Akin and his absurd ignorance when we needed a united front to get him off the ballot. Hmm. Seems EXACTLY like the kind of situation we have now.

I'm starting to think that those two are moles.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 11:33:00 am »
Gingrich... Huckabee... those were the same two names who gave "legitimacy" to Todd Akin and his absurd ignorance when we needed a united front to get him off the ballot. Hmm. Seems EXACTLY like the kind of situation we have now.

I'm beginning to wonder  if Trump convinced Christie, Huckabee, and Carson to run for President
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 11:40:41 am »

People who lust for power as obviously as Gingrich and Huckabee do have no business having power.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 02:18:52 pm »

And great point.  The saying always goes you are who you hang with.  It held true in my life.  I had some friends when I was young who were not worth admiration and really tried to set me on a bad path.  This really isn't about Sasse.  This is about Trump and his admiration for everything evil.  Sasse see's evil and speaks against it.  Trump see's every evil possible and talks about its strength.  Kim jong Un, Vladimir Putin, Saddam Hussein.  Trump shares views with these people.  It is undeniable.  Saddams scuds hit Israel and he funds terrorism by PLO suicide bombers that take Jewish lives in Israel.  Trump says he is good at killing terrorists.  Vladimir Putin killing journalists and implementing laws that will remove all religious liberty in Russia.  Good guy in the eyes of Trump.

So all I can see is a dictator in the making for us.  He is what he admires.  I feel sad that we may see religious liberty under the King Trump diminish.  Anyone can say they will be for something and not.  What Trump finds as strength is frightening.

And Trump uses his Jewish son in law to mask his racism.  He is being used.  I could care less that his Son in Law is Jewish.  I only care what comes out of Trumps own mouth and what he posts on twitter.

I cannot vote for either Trump and Hillary.  Will not put my name to an election of a dictator.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 02:26:23 pm by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 02:20:21 pm »

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 02:21:39 pm »

That is going way beyond on what this country was founded on.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

HonestJohn

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 09:20:33 pm »

This.  Very much this.

goopo