Author Topic: Palin: 'Rise up and and tear down this tyrannical system'  (Read 4982 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: Palin: 'Rise up and and tear down this tyrannical system'
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2016, 07:36:41 pm »
This is a serious post.  I understand the incomprehensible horrors of Nazi Germany have no parallel to the current political machinations in the US, but your drawing attention to 1932 Germany might.  I recently read In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson.  It is set in 1933 Germany with the appointment of William Dodd to Ambassador in Berlin by FDR.  Meticulously researched, it is a frightening look at how a guy like Hitler can come into power while everyone simply watches.  What enabled Hitler as much as anything was the stridency of his supporters.  I'm not saying we are there today, but we little realize how fragile our existence can be. 

It is a good read.  I recommend it.

It's why I said what I did.

We're fools to think that cannot happen here, or even that it is not happening right now under our very noses.

It just has a slightly different flavor given our history and culture - but the ideologies and tactics are exactly the same, and there is nothing new under the sun and human nature does not change.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

geronl

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2016, 07:57:56 pm »
I think after today's meetings with GOP lawmakers that we are going to see a lot more thousand yard stares as they come out to rah-rah their "man" at the top of the ticket.

They now know the doomage that is coming.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2016, 12:37:28 am »
Back on topic children.

Anyone having that disconcerting feeling when you watch that …. whatever that self-absorbed miasma of incoherence of Trump's last night was, combined with declarations of being called a traitor by his Spokesimbecile and tossing down the gauntlet of 'Either you are with us or against us', that we're witnessing shades of 1922 Italy or 1932-33 Germany???

I do.

This is how despotic regimes are born.

I have been seeing that for months. Said so on TOS, said so when I first got here, and was admonished for making references to a particular German political party of that era.

It is a combination of things, though, the man is the seed for such a thing. If the political ground isn't fertile or the solution supersaturated, it won't happen, but in this case, there is fertile ground for such, watered by the sweat and tears of frustration with those who are supposed to be doing the job they were sent to do.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2016, 12:47:44 am »
I have been seeing that for months. Said so on TOS, said so when I first got here, and was admonished for making references to a particular German political party of that era.

It is a combination of things, though, the man is the seed for such a thing. If the political ground isn't fertile or the solution supersaturated, it won't happen, but in this case, there is fertile ground for such, watered by the sweat and tears of frustration with those who are supposed to be doing the job they were sent to do.

Hitler was nothing special till a bunch of desperate morons threw a tantrum and put him in power.

Silver Pines

« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2016, 12:57:01 am »
This is a serious post.  I understand the incomprehensible horrors of Nazi Germany have no parallel to the current political machinations in the US, but your drawing attention to 1932 Germany might.  I recently read In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson.  It is set in 1933 Germany with the appointment of William Dodd to Ambassador in Berlin by FDR.  Meticulously researched, it is a frightening look at how a guy like Hitler can come into power while everyone simply watches.  What enabled Hitler as much as anything was the stridency of his supporters.  I'm not saying we are there today, but we little realize how fragile our existence can be. 

It is a good read.  I recommend it.

@Lando Lincoln

I've been meaning to read that one but it keeps slipping my mind.  Thanks for the recommendation.