Author Topic: Read This If You Still Think Political Polls Mean Anything  (Read 1229 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Read This If You Still Think Political Polls Mean Anything
« on: July 03, 2016, 02:56:44 pm »

by Tyler Durden   Jul 2, 2016 6:15 PM

As a species, humans tend to behave as a herd, following one another in opinion and action — whether or not the consequences for doing so are dire. Of course, politicians and others holding seats of power, fully cognizant of the opportunities provided by this herd mentality, deftly manipulate the masses — particularly through public polls during the lead-up to presidential elections.

Most everyone comprehends how bias-infused political polling can be; however, the extent such polls play in the outcome of elections — and, conversely, how their artfully constructed questions and population samples often miss the mark — makes polling an essentially needless, if not dangerous, facet of the American electoral season.

Polls, to put it plainly, are propaganda — and have been for decades — but one particular election handily evidences this, and offers chilling insight into this year’s presidential race: the 1980 election between incumbent President Jimmy Carter and challenger Ronald Reagan.

Polls, for months, predicted either Carter’s win or declared the race anyone’s guess; but when Reagan managed a landslide victory — veritably crushing his opponent — politicians and the public, alike, revisited polls to parse out how pollsters managed such skewed and inaccurate forecasts.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-07-02/read-if-you-still-think-political-polls-mean-anything

Minor edit made - the text was duplicated three times. Removed the duplicate paragraphs. Mod2
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 03:01:29 pm by Mod2 »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

Re: Read This If You Still Think Political Polls Mean Anything
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 03:02:58 pm »
LOL!  So you post an article that goes back 36 years to prove that polls are unreliable?  And it consists of six sentences, repeated twice.

Polling in 2012 was accurate, especially polling in October.  And trends in polls this far out are what are important, not the numbers themselves.

27 out of 28 polls since May 3 have shown Hillary Clinton leading Donald Trump. It's pretty safe to say the trend is obvious.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 06:10:30 pm »
LOL!  So you post an article that goes back 36 years to prove that polls are unreliable?  And it consists of six sentences, repeated twice.

Polling in 2012 was accurate, especially polling in October.  And trends in polls this far out are what are important, not the numbers themselves.

27 out of 28 polls since May 3 have shown Hillary Clinton leading Donald Trump. It's pretty safe to say the trend is obvious.
Sorry @sinkspur but the fake polls are mostly ignored anymore by thinking Americans. That tool is used up.

Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 03:31:07 am »
Sorry @sinkspur but the fake polls are mostly ignored anymore by thinking Americans. That tool is used up.

Should the polls shift in Trump's favor, will we get the same response as this?

My guess? You'll be touting them as evidence of Trump's upcoming victory. I do believe the polls. Not because there flawless or because I want them to be true. I trust them as a gauge of public opinion over "what all the guys at my bar are saying"
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 03:33:03 am »

All the arguments Trump supporters are making as to why the polls are wrong were the same ones made in 2012

Same arguments. Different candidates
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 11:08:24 am »
Should the polls shift in Trump's favor, will we get the same response as this?

My guess? You'll be touting them as evidence of Trump's upcoming victory. I do believe the polls. Not because there flawless or because I want them to be true. I trust them as a gauge of public opinion over "what all the guys at my bar are saying"

Oh hell no, they will still be used against the people not smart enough to figure out the polls are bogus - whose sole purpose is to manipulate them - so as to manipulate them.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline LMAO

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 11:39:09 am »
Oh hell no, they will still be used against the people not smart enough to figure out the polls are bogus - whose sole purpose is to manipulate them - so as to manipulate them.

Poll after poll shows huge majorities are dissatisfied with the direction of the country. Do you believe those polls? If you don't believe those polls, because, as you say, polls are only used to manipulate, then how do you know the general public is upset with the nations direction?  Do you believe the public believes the nation is heading in the right direction? And if you do, how do you know that and why?

See how ridiculous you sound dismissing every poll? Yet, you post many poll results as long as they say what you want. Just human nature. And denial is a form of protection. But denial is not an effective political strategy

Also, those same polls also show that the majority believe Hillary Clinton to be dishonest and untrustworthy.  Do you believe those polls to be accurate or do you believe those polls are used to manipulate the public ?

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:05:26 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 04:32:14 pm »
Poll after poll shows huge majorities are dissatisfied with the direction of the country. Do you believe those polls? If you don't believe those polls, because, as you say, polls are only used to manipulate, then how do you know the general public is upset with the nations direction?  Do you believe the public believes the nation is heading in the right direction? And if you do, how do you know that and why?

See how ridiculous you sound dismissing every poll? Yet, you post many poll results as long as they say what you want. Just human nature. And denial is a form of protection. But denial is not an effective political strategy

Also, those same polls also show that the majority believe Hillary Clinton to be dishonest and untrustworthy.  Do you believe those polls to be accurate or do you believe those polls are used to manipulate the public ?
In the science of push polls since before Hitler/Stalin perfected their use, the SOP was to include some truth of common sense issues so as to sell them to the unsuspecting. Did you need a Poll to tell you people were dissatisfied with the way country was going? Neither do the well paid Professionals at the Public Relations Firms telling you what to think.

Did you really think majority of Americans were ever for Obamacare, Gay Marriage etc.? Yet now you trust the same ones that you knew LIED to you on major issues.  ****sheep****

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 05:14:01 pm »

by Tyler Durden   Jul 2, 2016 6:15 PM

As a species, humans tend to behave as a herd, following one another in opinion and action — whether or not the consequences for doing so are dire. Of course, politicians and others holding seats of power, fully cognizant of the opportunities provided by this herd mentality, deftly manipulate the masses — particularly through public polls during the lead-up to presidential elections.

Most everyone comprehends how bias-infused political polling can be; however, the extent such polls play in the outcome of elections — and, conversely, how their artfully constructed questions and population samples often miss the mark — makes polling an essentially needless, if not dangerous, facet of the American electoral season.

Polls, to put it plainly, are propaganda — and have been for decades — but one particular election handily evidences this, and offers chilling insight into this year’s presidential race: the 1980 election between incumbent President Jimmy Carter and challenger Ronald Reagan.

Polls, for months, predicted either Carter’s win or declared the race anyone’s guess; but when Reagan managed a landslide victory — veritably crushing his opponent — politicians and the public, alike, revisited polls to parse out how pollsters managed such skewed and inaccurate forecasts.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-07-02/read-if-you-still-think-political-polls-mean-anything

Minor edit made - the text was duplicated three times. Removed the duplicate paragraphs. Mod2

You KNOW that I hate to agree with Sinkspur on anything. But in this case, he is at least partically correct. You cannot simply lump all polls together and say that they are biased or that they don't reflect public sentiment. There certainly ARE push polls. And there certainly are polls that have absurd methodologies with disproportionate sampling...which can happen deliberately or simply through poor technique. In some cases, such as the recent WAPO/ABC polls, the sampling groups are absurdly skewed with Dems disproportionately represented...and my guess is that this did not happen inadvertently. Nonetheless, most of the polls out there right now are...collectively at least...almost certainly representative of public sentiment.

Now Spur is clever, he states that the October polls have been very accurate in the past elections. This is true. However, it is not October...and in fact we are in the pre-convention cycle in which polls are NOTORIOUSLY non-predictive. So he is technically correct, but deliberately deceptive.  Further, states that it is the "trends" that matter now...this too is correct...but it doesn't free us from having to examine the methodologies of each poll as it is released...so first you must eliminate the poorly done polls and THEN you can look at trends to see where things are going.

Sink is also factually incorrect about Trump trailing in 27 of 28 polls since May 3rd...but we have to acknowledge that is certainly behind Mrs. Clinton at this point. Most like by 3-4% looking at RCP averages....though the most recent Rasmussen shows a nice swing with Trump AHEAD by 4%. At this point though, that may simply be "statistical noise", so we'll have to wait to see if that is backed up with other polls.

Of note at this point is that some polls are careening wildly...Wapo goes from Trump +2 in mid May to Clinton +12. Rasmussen swings from Clinton +5 to Trump +4. A LOT of that shifting is related to samples...and its worth noting that sampling techniques have not caught up to modern technology and they are ALL struggling at trying to find good representative samples. Couple that with people actually having two candidates they are not thrilled with, and its not surprising we're seeing wild swings in polling results.

Like most elections, the polls will not solidifiy until we have the conventions...and at least the 1st debate (which will be of tremendous importance this year...if one of the two looks like a "reasonable and responsible agent for change", that individual will make huge gains IMHO. In Mr. Trump's case he must somehow look "reasonable and thoughtful", and in Mrs. Clinton's case she must somehow look like she is "pro-change". Big tasks for both no doubt...a fact making that first debate impression of paramount importance.

Long story short, polls do matter and can't be written off as simple propaganda. Some are, but most are not...though some have poor methodology. The bigger point is that polls are not very predictive at this point, and we should not be looking at them as strong indicators of how the actual voting is going to go.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline LMAO

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 07:19:14 pm »
In the science of push polls since before Hitler/Stalin perfected their use, the SOP was to include some truth of common sense issues so as to sell them to the unsuspecting. Did you need a Poll to tell you people were dissatisfied with the way country was going? Neither do the well paid Professionals at the Public Relations Firms telling you what to think.

Did you really think majority of Americans were ever for Obamacare, Gay Marriage etc.? Yet now you trust the same ones that you knew LIED to you on major issues.  ****sheep****

Yet you still have not answered my questions.

And you are creating new ones

Here's a link for you. Describes you to a tee

http://spectator.org/trump-romney-and-data-denial-syndrome/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:23:40 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 07:37:12 pm »

Yet you still have not answered my questions.

And you are creating new ones

Here's a link for you. Describes you to a tee

http://spectator.org/trump-romney-and-data-denial-syndrome/
You believe in fake polls, I cannot fix whats broken here.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 07:44:41 pm »
You believe in fake polls, I cannot fix whats broken here.

I just recognize reality. You are under the belief that Trump is currently killing Hillary and the general electorate loves him to death but provide no hard evidence but your hunch. Oh and the "rallieeees."

Yes, I tend to believe the polls, especially when they trend a certain way over time. One or two I could dismiss. And the reality is, as of June and early July, outside the bubble,Trump is in deep trouble. Denial is a protective mechanism but it doesn't work as a campaign strategy.

It seems everytime a poll is posted that isn't good news for Mr Trump, your reflexive action is to dismiss it as a fake. After so many times of doing such, it's you who looks like the manipulated one

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:47:23 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 08:03:45 pm »
I just recognize reality. You are under the belief that Trump is currently killing Hillary and the general electorate loves him to death but provide no hard evidence but your hunch. Oh and the "rallieeees."

Yes, I tend to believe the polls, especially when they trend a certain way over time. One or two I could dismiss. And the reality is, as of June and early July, outside the bubble,Trump is in deep trouble. Denial is a protective mechanism but it doesn't work as a campaign strategy.

It seems everytime a poll is posted that isn't good news for Mr Trump, your reflexive action is to dismiss it as a fake. After so many times of doing such, it's you who looks like the manipulated one

2 questions.

1. why in 2016 with evidence of poll manipulation being rampant and very wrong http://theweek.com/articles/617109/problem-polls do you still trust polls?
2. Why do you seek validation from Democrats for your anger at Trump