Author Topic: Donald Trump: Americans should 'pay a little bit more' for U.S.-made products to save jobs  (Read 1172 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: LOS ANGELES TIMES

URL: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-donald-trump-speech-20160630-snap-story.html

by: Noah Bierman

Donald Trump again defied Republican orthodoxy during an event in a former factory in New Hampshire on Thursday, declaring that “we’re better off paying a little bit more” for consumer products if it means protecting American jobs.

“The goods will also be of a higher quality,” Trump added. “We’re known for that.”

The comments came as Trump is building on the proposition that has surpassed immigration as his central campaign theme: that decades of trade pacts have depressed U.S. manufacturing and lowered wages.

Thursday’s speech, which included questions from an invited audience, supplemented a more formal address Trump delivered earlier this week in which he threatened to end trade pacts and impose tariffs. The speech drew criticism from the Chamber of Commerce and other longtime stalwarts of the GOP’s business wing, along with a lengthy rebuke from President Obama.

Trump pushed back against their criticism Thursday, saying that he is in favor of free trade but that the U.S. has done a poor job of making deals.

“Yes, I’m a free trader,” Trump said.

“Here’s my stance on trading: I want to make great deals for the United States,” he said. Yet he also threatened to impose taxes of 35% on companies that ship jobs overseas, a step that would likely require congressional approval and one that would not fit the usual definition of free trade.

The format exposed the risk Trump was taking in allowing unscripted questions, even though the event was restricted to invited guests. One member of the audience requested that more veterans get jobs in the Transportation Security Administration, making an offensive generalization about airport screening staff. “Get rid of all these heeby-jobbies they wear,” she said, an apparent reference to hijabs, or veils, worn by some Muslim women.

Trump tried to cut her off – “we are looking at that” – though he did not contradict her.

EXCERPT ONLY, CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

Offline skeeter

“Here’s my stance on trading: I want to make great deals for the United States,” he said.

Gornisht.

Offline SirLinksALot

The man likes to throw the words "Great", "Amazing", "Beautiful", "Win", "Tremendous" around as if these adjectives are his to make and create from thin air.

geronl

Poorer Americans: Gee, thanks Trump!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 04:34:16 pm by geronl »

Offline kidd

I might pay more for higher quality.

But I'd like the option to pay less for lower quality.

Online Hoodat

Donald Trump: Americans should 'pay a little bit more' for U.S.-made products to save jobs

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Once again the pampered orange millionaire shows he's out of touch with reality when it comes to the middle class.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

geronl

Really? This man is simply insane.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Once again the pampered orange millionaire shows he's out of touch with reality when it comes to the middle class.

I shuddered to hear his clueless thoughts on trade.

Bottom line: We pay more.

At least that's the bottom line until Trump gets another line.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

One thing I despise about Trump is his utter greed and cheapness.

He's supposed to be this great businessman and billionaire.  Did any little money-making scheme, no matter how shabby, ever come along that he wasn't down with?

From his fake clothing line made in the Mexico he constantly disparages, to his conning gullible but innocent people out of their money with that ponzi scheme University, Trump has never met a Con he didn't like.

And he is the biggest Con of all.

How did we do this???
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Rivergirl

tRump will make sure we all pay a lot more for every single product we purchase.
I remember the bad old days before Nixon instituted wage and price controls.......lots of bartering going on then and we an be sure those bad old days will return.  Remember Ford's WIN buttons........Whip Inflation Now.

Here we go again.   Get ready.

Offline Rivergirl

I shuddered to hear his clueless thoughts on trade.

Bottom line: We pay more.

At least that's the bottom line until Trump gets another line.

And to make matters worse we have Gingrich abandoning the idea of free trade.

Lots of folks have sold their soul.

HonestJohn

While I think Americans should support American businesses...

... in no way should the force of the US government come to bear in order to force us to do so.

That is wrong on a fundamental level.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Actually it will probably be a lot more when combined with his plan to default on our debts, print money, and impose tariffs but I was wondering what I was going to do with all this cash I have laying around taking up space.

Thank you Cheeto Messiah, you're the greatest! :silly:

Offline Cripplecreek

While I think Americans should support American businesses...

... in no way should the force of the US government come to bear in order to force us to do so.

That is wrong on a fundamental level.

Ted Cruz economic plans were all about easing regulation and taxes to free the people to be industrious all by ourselves.

That's why most of the economists pointed to the Ted Cruz economic plan as the best of all and Paul Krugman said he liked Trump's plan the best.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
The man likes to throw the words "Great", "Amazing", "Beautiful", "Win", "Tremendous" around as if these adjectives are his to make and create from thin air.

From "The Art of the Deal":

"The final key to the way I promote is bravado. I play to people's fantasies. People may not always think big themselves, but they can still get very excited by those who do. That's why a little hyperbole never hurts. People want to believe something is the biggest and the greatest and the most spectacular.

I call it truthful hyperbole. It's an innocent form of exaggeration — and a very effective form of promotion."

From "Mein Kampf":

"All this was inspired by the principle - which is quite true in itself - that in the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily; and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie."
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Suppressed

It's called a wealth transfer from American consumers to unions and businesses.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Henry Noel

Poorer Americans: Gee, thanks Trump!

Reminds me of the Postal Service's ads for Priority Mail: TWO days; TWO pounds; TWO ... ninety-nine!
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Wingnut

The man has delusions of adequacy. 

Offline Cripplecreek

The man has delusions of adequacy.

He's affluenza patient zero.

My governor here in Michigan hasn't been terrible but doesn't understand that a little money to him is a lot of money to someone else.

Offline skeeter

Ted Cruz economic plans were all about easing regulation and taxes to free the people to be industrious all by ourselves.

That's why most of the economists pointed to the Ted Cruz economic plan as the best of all and Paul Krugman said he liked Trump's plan the best.

Cruz was the only candidate talking about the potential of the American people without a government weighing them down.

When has anyone heard Trump say anything similar?

Offline Cripplecreek

Cruz was the only candidate talking about the potential of the American people without a government weighing them down.

When has anyone heard Trump say anything similar?

Trump doesn't talk about small (Loser) business.

Everybody shoots to be the next Reagan but I say screw that, Be the next Coolidge. That would honor Reagan.

Offline Mechanicos

It's disingenuous to attack Trump as a civilian business man operating in a competitive global market for being competitive now - before hes in a position to change anything to make America more competitive.

Do you have any evidence that he will not use American resources once he addresses the problems that make it so most of our textile industry has fled America to other countries?
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline RetBobbyMI

How many times does this bear repeating?  As many times as can be posted!  MORE!!!  What a fraud he is!
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy