Author Topic: Don Rumsfeld prefers Trump as the ‘known unknown’ over the ‘known known’  (Read 744 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Don Rumsfeld prefers Trump as the ‘known unknown’ over the ‘known known’
Washington Times, June 23, 2016

ANALYSIS/OPINION:
Donald Rumsfeld, the former secretary of Defense, has given the Republicans a fighting slogan to appeal to voters who can’t quite cotton to Donald Trump but who sure can’t vote for Hillary Clinton. Mr. Rumsfeld says he’s voting for the Donald because he’s more comfortable with a “known unknown” than with a “known known.”

Better to take a chance on the candidate who might not be as bad as some folks think than to take the candidate who everyone knows is as bad as everyone thinks. That’s not usually the way to talk about a lady, but this is not your usual lady. Mr. Rumsfeld attributes his cleverly expressed insight to his wife, Joyce.

Mr. Rumsfeld, who has served in high positions in several Republican administrations, says he agrees with Mr. Trump about the threat of “a Trojan horse infiltration” of terrorists organized among Syrian refugees being settled, whether by lack of wit or by good intentions gone awry, across the 50 states, often by stealth, by President Obama.

"He’s absolutely right,” he told an interviewer for the McClatchy newspapers. “Anyone who thinks the radical Islamists are not going to try to utilize every venue they can find to infiltrate into the United States and in Western European countries — these people just don’t get it.”

Mr. Rumsfeld says many Americans who say they’re upset by the strong Trump language aren’t paying close enough attention to what he’s saying. “How is what I’ve said different from what he has said? The way he said it got him the Republican nomination for president. The way I said it makes people’s eyes glaze over. The only real difference is [that] one is striking a nerve.”

Reflecting the kinder, gentler approach of the man who appointed him to his cabinet, Mr. Rumsfeld says the United States has “an enormous obligation to help fleeing Syrians.” The United Nations is unable to help because it is incompetent, inept and unhelpful, a characterization that is hardly original with Mr. Rumsfeld, who might have added “corrupt.”

“This refugee problem is the most heartbreaking thing in the world,” he says. “But instead of politicizing the issue and moving the refugees, the United States should be mobilizing regional powers to give them somewhere to flee to. “We’ve got an obligation to provide safe zones for them. We’ve got to be pro-active.”

Views laid out by Mr. Trump, whom he has never met, and his own views on immigration, he says, arrive at the same end but from different starting points. Most immigrants, he says, “don’t want to impose a different system on us,” but every country “ought to be able to maintain [its] own values” in the face of immigrants [who] don’t want to assimilate.”

He further agrees that the Donald was right in saying that NATO needs serious work. Mr. Rumsfeld, who was once the U.S. ambassador to NATO headquarters, says the overhaul of NATO’s internal compass prescribed by Mr. Trump is “not far from what I wrote to President [George W.] Bush 13 or 14 years ago.” Reporters and pundits “have played very fast and loose” with the Trump message. “What he actually said was different from the characterizations that followed.” That much, every editor ought to have known.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/23/donald-rumsfeld-prefers-donald-trump-over-hillary-/

Offline sinkspur

Odd.  Rumsfeld was the biggest promoter of the Iraq War, yet he supports Trump and Trump loves him.

Brent Scowcroft, adviser to George HW Bush,  opposed the Iraq War and yet he's voting for Hillary.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline WAC

I saw Rummy speak......They all have warts but I loved the guy when he was with Bush.....

He's used that phrase of known and unknown since he was in office....it's a great phrase....

Rummy didn't hesitate a second when asked if he'd vote for Trump...he also said he couldn't imagine not voting for him.

It was a great interview!

Thanks for posting this!

Offline WAC

Odd.  Rumsfeld was the biggest promoter of the Iraq War, yet he supports Trump and Trump loves him.
Brent Scowcroft, adviser to George HW Bush,  opposed the Iraq War and yet he's voting for Hillary.

Nothing odd at all about it. Rummy understands not doing so means Hillary, and he said as much, and that's beyond imagining anyone would want that to happen. He'd vote for whoever the Nomination is because he knows full well who and what the Demorats are when they're in control.

Offline sinkspur

Nothing odd at all about it. Rummy understands not doing so means Hillary, and he said as much, and that's beyond imagining anyone would want that to happen. He'd vote for whoever the Nomination is because he knows full well who and what the Demorats are when they're in control.

In other words, Trump sucks less.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

In other words, Trump sucks less.

Yeah .... but then when you read the following quotes ---- you just know in your heart that Rumsfeld's lighting candles for Trump's victory  ^-^:

Mr. Rumsfeld, who has served in high positions in several Republican administrations, says he agrees with Mr. Trump about the threat of “a Trojan horse infiltration” of terrorists organized among Syrian refugees being settled, ....

"He’s absolutely right,” he told an interviewer for the McClatchy newspapers. “Anyone who thinks the radical Islamists are not going to try to utilize every venue they can find to infiltrate into the United States and in Western European countries — these people just don’t get it.”

“But instead of politicizing the issue and moving the refugees, the United States should be mobilizing regional powers to give them somewhere to flee to. “We’ve got an obligation to provide safe zones for them. We’ve got to be pro-active.”

He further agrees that the Donald was right in saying that NATO needs serious work. Mr. Rumsfeld, who was once the U.S. ambassador to NATO headquarters, says the overhaul of NATO’s internal compass prescribed by Mr. Trump is “not far from what I wrote to President [George W.] Bush 13 or 14 years ago.” Reporters and pundits “have played very fast and loose” with the Trump message. “What he actually said was different from the characterizations that followed.” That much, every editor ought to have known. 

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

There are few men I admire more than Rumsfeld.  I understand why he is endorsing Trump.  I still can't vote for Trump because Rumsfeld says "he might not be as bad as you think."

Offline Suppressed

There are few men I admire more than Rumsfeld.

I have a very different opinion of him, though ultimately it was GWB who didn't accept his resignation when it was clear he was unable to recognize changing conditions and a changing mission.

Remember his idiotic declaration that there was no insurgency in Iraq?

And his attempt to slap down Gen. Peter Pace?

Gen. Pace:  "It is the absolute responsibility of every U.S. service member, if they see inhumane treatment being conducted, to intervene, to stop it."

Sec. Rumsfeld: "I don't think you mean they have an obligation to physically stop it; it's to report it."

Gen. Pace: "If they are physically present when inhumane treatment is taking place, sir, they have an obligation to try to stop it."

Good for the general, not getting bullied!  Sec. Rumsfeld was a lot like Trump -- insistent when clueless.  No wonder he doesn't mind him.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn