Author Topic: Republicans Run From Donald Trump's Orlando Response  (Read 984 times)

Offline sinkspur

Republicans Run From Donald Trump's Orlando Response
« on: June 14, 2016, 11:18:34 pm »
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/orlando-nightclub-massacre/republicans-run-donald-trump-s-orlando-response-n592436

by BENJY SARLIN

WASHINGTON — Top Democrats, including President Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, challenged Republican lawmakers on Tuesday to defend Donald Trump's response to the terrorist attack on Orlando Sunday morning that claimed 49 lives.

Few took up the call.

Instead, GOP lawmakers in Washington jumped, ducked and crawled through yet another obstacle course laid by Trump as reporters peppered them with questions about the candidate's proposed ban on Muslim travel, his suggestions that President Obama sympathizes with radical Islamists and should resign and his threat of "big consequences" for Muslim communities in America who he says are harboring terrorists.

"I'm not going to be commenting on the presidential candidates today," Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said after receiving a question about Trump's accusations against the president.

House Speaker Paul Ryan, who lambasted Trump's Muslim ban when it was first proposed in December, said that he still disagreed with the candidate. Asked about Trump's repeated suggestion that "there's something going on" with Obama that prevents him from confronting terrorism, however, he drew the line.

"I am not going to spend my time commenting about the ups and downs and the in-betweens of comments," he said.

That was a popular reaction among Republicans, some of whom looked like they would rather be anywhere else doing anything but taking a question on Trump.

Jostling to get onto an elevator, Senator Pat Toomey, R-Penn., told reporters inquiring about Trump's Monday speech that he "didn't follow it closely."

Senator Tim Scott, R-S.C., paused a moment after being asked by NBC News whether he had any thoughts on Trump's response to Orlando.

"You know…hmm," he said.

Then without another word, he walked onto the Senate floor.

Trump's blistering speech on the Orlando shooting marked a turning point for the GOP. Since President George W. Bush's first response to the 9/11 attacks, top leaders have tried to gently steer the party away from overt criticism of the loyalty of Muslim citizens and immigrants, let alone ideas including a complete restriction on Muslim entry into the country.

For some in the party, Trump's demagogic speech and exultant boast that he predicted the attack were a depressing sign that he was unlikely to become a nominee they could feel comfortable supporting.

"I'm not hopeful right now," Senator Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., who has refused to endorse Trump, told reporters. He added that Trump's "ill-informed, ill-conceived ban on Muslims" was damaging the Republican Party.

Senator Bob Corker, R-Tenn., who attracted speculation a few weeks ago that he might become Trump's running mate after he praised the candidate's growth on foreign policy, sounded far more pessimistic Tuesday.

"It wasn't the kind of response that I would expect when 50 people have perished," he said. "You know, I think I've offered words of public encouragement [to Trump] in important times and continue to be discouraged by the results."'

Others assured reporters that Congress would oppose Trump if he tried to implement a religious test for visitors to the United States by executive order.

"Whether it be a Republican president or a Democratic president, I think we will vigorously defend the fact that we're Article I [of the Constitution]," Rep. David Schweikert, R-Ariz., said.

On the other end of the spectrum, Senator Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., Trump's top ally in the Senate, offered up a rare defense of Trump's performance.

"It was a good speech. He told the truth about the threat we are facing," Sessions said. He added that Trump "showed leadership and strength."

A large chunk of Republicans in the middle, however, seemed content inhabiting an alternate reality, one in which Trump was merely a TV gadfly rather than the presumptive nominee of their party.

"We do not have a nominee until after the convention," Senator Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., told the Associated Press.

Senator Ted Cruz, who has not endorsed Trump, told reporters that America needs "a commander-in-chief who is clear-eyed and focused on keeping this country safe."

He did not say whether Trump was that commander-in-chief.

Congressman Patrick McHenry, R-N.C., shrugged when reporters asked if he had any thoughts on Trump's various pronouncements since the attack.

"No," he said. "I just left a conference dealing with a [Defense] appropriations bill. That's where I'm focused."

Asked whether he supported the candidate, McHenry directed the press to call his office.

Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., told a reporter who asked for a response to Trump's dark insinuations about Obama's loyalty that they "need to take that up with the Trump campaign."

Shortly afterward, Trump issued a statement to the Associated Press saying the president "continues to prioritize our enemy over our allies, and for that matter, the American people."

Democrats sounded determined to force the other side to acknowledge their own nominee and make their opinions known about his most inflammatory proposals over the next four-plus months. In overlapping appearances on Tuesday, Obama and Clinton each condemned Trump's recent comments and pressured Republicans to do the same.

Related: After Orlando, Donald Trump Would Expand Muslim Immigrant Ban

"Will responsible Republican leaders stand up to their presumptive nominee, or will they stand up his accusation about our President?" Clinton said in a speech in Pittsburgh.

"Do Republican officials actually agree with this?" Obama said after a meeting with his National Security Council in D.C.

The Republican National Committee, headquartered a few blocks away, issued a detailed response saying Democrats "have lost the national security debate" and accusing Obama and Clinton of abetting the rise of ISIS by withdrawing too quickly from Iraq.

Missing from it, however, were the words "Donald Trump" — or any indication that Clinton faced an opponent at all.

This release was on the RNC's website, which as of Tuesday afternoon did not feature a single photo or mention of Trump on its homepage. Nor did Trump appear in the headlines of recent posts on the site's blog.

The blog did contain a holiday message from GOP chairman Reince Priebus, however: "Best wishes to all those who are celebrating the Muslim holy month of Ramadan."
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

Re: Republicans Run From Donald Trump's Orlando Response
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 11:23:22 pm »
Gonna be a long fall for Sessions when Trump saws off that limb...
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 11:26:43 pm »
The only person Republicans don't run from is Obama.   :shrug:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 11:37:33 pm »

That's bullshit, of course.  But I can understand your irritation, given the polls are turning against Trump and he's embarrassing himself on a daily basis.  Now he wants to ban an entire religion from immigration.

It WILL NOT HAPPEN.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 11:41:21 pm »

A few short years ago Donny boy though Obie was doing a great job. So there's that.
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 11:52:30 pm »
Well, doesn't look like Trump's comments were as well accepted as I'd hoped. Nor did the party unite behind him on this issue.  Granted, I think he could have presented what he said with a lot more tact, but I personally agree with him wanting to suspend immigration from areas of the world where there is a proven history of terrorism against the United States, Europe or our allies, until we understand how to end these threats."  He didn't say BAN he said SUSPEND, there is a big difference.  I would ask the question to those in disagreement, why would you let people into this country from an area with a history of terrorism against the U.S.??  Further he went on to say, UNTIL we understand how to end these threats; again meaning it wouldn't be an indefinite suspension.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 11:55:41 pm »

Since President George W. Bush's first response to the 9/11 attacks, top leaders have tried to gently steer the party away from overt criticism of the loyalty of Muslim citizens and immigrants, let alone ideas including a complete restriction on Muslim entry into the country.

And therein lies much of the GOP-E's problem with the base...
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 12:05:19 am »
Well, doesn't look like Trump's comments were as well accepted as I'd hoped. Nor did the party unite behind him on this issue.  Granted, I think he could have presented what he said with a lot more tact, but I personally agree with him wanting to suspend immigration from areas of the world where there is a proven history of terrorism against the United States, Europe or our allies, until we understand how to end these threats."  He didn't say BAN he said SUSPEND, there is a big difference.  I would ask the question to those in disagreement, why would you let people into this country from an area with a history of terrorism against the U.S.??  Further he went on to say, UNTIL we understand how to end these threats; again meaning it wouldn't be an indefinite suspension.

Trump is being so disingenuous with this Muslim ban.  How would a suspended Muslim ban have prevented Orlando?  The shooter was a citizen.  Yes, his parents were immigrants but they came here basically at the invitation of the American government in 1980 when the US was backing Afghanistan against the Russians.

The problem with anything Trump says is that he knows nothing.  "Until we figure out what's going on" is a garbage, throwaway phrase.  What is he doing, trying to figure out why a car won't start?  Why is he proposing this when an American citizen did the shooting?

He's reemphasizing his ban because he's appealing to his base, to satisfy their blood lust to take out their anger on somebody.  And who better, according to Trump, than Muslims?

Donald Trump is a consummate garbage human being who is always looking to appeal to the lowest instincts of his supporters.  It's really tragic, to watch this man whip a bunch of gullible people into a frenzy against an entire religious faith.

I know my view is unpopular here, but I'm betting more Americans agree with me than agree with Trump.  The question is, will there be enough to keep Trump out of the White House?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 12:11:18 am »
Trump is being so disingenuous with this Muslim ban.  How would a suspended Muslim ban have prevented Orlando?  The shooter was a citizen.  Yes, his parents were immigrants but they came here basically at the invitation of the American government in 1980 when the US was backing Afghanistan against the Russians.

The problem with anything Trump says is that he knows nothing.  "Until we figure out what's going on" is a garbage, throwaway phrase.  What is he doing, trying to figure out why a car won't start?  Why is he proposing this when an American citizen did the shooting?

He's reemphasizing his ban because he's appealing to his base, to satisfy their blood lust to take out their anger on somebody.  And who better, according to Trump, than Muslims?

Donald Trump is a consummate garbage human being who is always looking to appeal to the lowest instincts of his supporters.  It's really tragic, to watch this man whip a bunch of gullible people into a frenzy against an entire religious faith.

I know my view is unpopular here, but I'm betting more Americans agree with me than agree with Trump.  The question is, will there be enough to keep Trump out of the White House?

I am in no way a Trump supporter, but on this issue I feel he is correct.  Allowing/inviting people into this country from known regions with terrorists that hate us is pure lunacy.  Again those making an issue against Trump are using the word "ban" instead of suspend...big difference.  Ban meaning indefinite; not allowed.  Suspend meaning to postpone.  He came across narcissistic as he always does and I think that's more of a problem then the actual proposed suspension.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 12:12:07 am by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 12:24:53 am »

What do you expect from gutless cowards who won't even confront Democrats?   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 12:26:49 am »
A few short years ago Donny boy though Obie was doing a great job. So there's that.

He says what he says to keep his contacts and influence.   He said Ted Cruz was great too,   but that didn't last when he decided to attack him.   

Trump has no compunction about telling flattering lies.   It's the nature of the social environment he runs in.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 12:40:52 am »
Senator Tim Scott, R-S.C., paused a moment after being asked by NBC News whether he had any thoughts on Trump's response to Orlando.

"You know…hmm," he said.

Then without another word, he walked onto the Senate floor.

:silly:

"It wasn't the kind of response that I would expect when 50 people have perished," he said. "You know, I think I've offered words of public encouragement [to Trump] in important times and continue to be discouraged by the results."'

Bend over GOP.  Trump's driving.

A large chunk of Republicans in the middle, however, seemed content inhabiting an alternate reality, one in which Trump was merely a TV gadfly rather than the presumptive nominee of their party.

"We do not have a nominee until after the convention," Senator Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., told the Associated Press.

Oh Dear God!  This parachute is really just a knapsack!!!

The blog did contain a holiday message from GOP chairman Reince Priebus, however: "Best wishes to all those who are celebrating the Muslim holy month of Ramadan."

Doesn't look like Reince is taking Trump's war on 2 billion muslims seriously.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 03:09:05 am »
That's bullshit, of course.  But I can understand your irritation, given the polls are turning against Trump and he's embarrassing himself on a daily basis.  Now he wants to ban an entire religion from immigration.

It WILL NOT HAPPEN.
No Honest poll has turned against Trump. All you have posted is left wing and anti-Trump agitprop so far. Ruetors/ispo/Bloomberg? Really now we are not democrats - at least the ones supporting the America First guy.

So we have online polls, way oversampled Democrats and way under sampling Indis... In other words Agitprop fake polls from the Anti-Trump crowd hoping to derail the convention.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 03:16:08 am »
No Honest poll has turned against Trump. All you have posted is left wing and anti-Trump agitprop so far. Ruetors/ispo/Bloomberg? Really now we are not democrats - at least the ones supporting the America First guy.

So we have online polls, way oversampled Democrats and way under sampling Indis... In other words Agitprop fake polls from the Anti-Trump crowd hoping to derail the convention.

?? What are you talking about?  I missed something?  How do polls tie into Republicans not backing Trump on this??

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 03:28:39 am »
Dennis Prager says who answers their phone to numbers they don't recognize. Anyway, he may not be totally correct but there is a chance these polls are not that accurate.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 03:49:28 am »
Last 7 polls taken in order:

Clinton +12 (The Latest)
Clinton +3
Clinton +4
Clinton +8
Clinton +3
Clinton +5
Clinton +4
All garbage for slow people.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 03:58:33 am »
All garbage for slow people.
Trump has Hitlery right where he wants her...leading by double digits.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 04:19:46 am by Once-Ler »

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 04:07:29 am »

Which polling organization is trustworthy, in your opinion?

Don't you think it would be difficult to conceal a conspiracy between Ted Cruz and every polling agency?  This is Alex Jones level paranoia.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 04:45:13 am »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline OldSaltUSN

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2016, 05:14:36 am »

Presumably, it would be more than just a suspension of passports for Muslims.  It's be a suspension of passports from people who could be considered suspicious, advocating, for example, sharia law (which is violently in conflict with the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights, or those who advocate killing all jews, driving them from "Palastine", those coming from a land in which 95% of the people persecute Christians, which make up less than 2% of a country they used to dominate, because of Islamic murders - there's lots and lots of criteria to use to ascertain suitability of Muslim immigrants for admission to the USA, much less the likelihood they will ever become Constitutional Americans.

In the case of the Orlando murdering raghead, he gave every sign in the world of being a Muslim terrorist, waiting for his call.  His pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia, for one.  It should have been easy to identify and stop him - he just wasn't that bright.

This reminds me greatly of Jamie Gorelick's, the Clinton AG Deputy, who declared and edict forbidding the CIA and FBI from sharing intelligence on foreign nationals in the USA who posed a threat to US Security.  That was arguably, HIGHLY LIKELY the most significant cause for 9/11.  America's security forces knew of parts of the plot as it developed, but were not allowed to share that information with other agencies.  Yet Gorelick, Hoder, and other Clinton staffers most responsible for 9/11 got a pass from the GOP-e on the whole thing, enabling them to come back in with Obama for round two, and we're right back where we started at post Billy-the-Wild-Willy-Clinton.   In the same way, the same people with the same progressive world view, under Obama are now setting up America for 9/11.v2.

The real problem with Trump is his hateful, simplistic rhetoric poisons the well to a sane discussion on the merits, in regards to immigration.    I believe he does this deliberately, similar to stating as fact a leftist view point of the conservative's view of abortion (jail all the pregnant women who abort!!).   He's doing everything in his power to disqualify and delegitimatize the conservative world view within America. 

That, or he's a complete blithering idiot, and has no idea what he's saying or the impact it has on his campaign, and the GOP's chances to retain power in Congress.  In this case, I'm with the Trumpkins.   Trump is no idiot.  He's pure evil.

#NeverTrump, because
#ForeverChristian, and
#Oathkeeper

geronl

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 05:42:46 am »
?? What are you talking about?  I missed something?  How do polls tie into Republicans not backing Trump on this??

The same people who say they don't believe in polls sure seem to live by them