Author Topic: Not a Single Republican Delegate Is ‘Bound’ to Donald Trump  (Read 11271 times)

Offline sinkspur

Not a Single Republican Delegate Is ‘Bound’ to Donald Trump

by DAVID FRENCH   

June 9, 2016 6:22 PM

Those who claim otherwise would evade responsibility for his nomination.

Let’s begin with a simple proposition: As a matter of law and history, there is not a single “bound” delegate to the Republican National Convention. Not one delegate is required to vote for Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, or any other individual who “won” votes in the primary process. Each delegate will have to make his or her own choice. They — and they alone — will choose the Republican nominee.

The paragraph above contradicts much of what you’ve been told about the presidential nominating process, and it even contradicts state law in multiple jurisdictions, but state law does not govern the Republican party. The party governs itself, and according to the rules it has implemented, there is only one convention where the delegates were truly bound: 1976’s, when Gerald Ford fended off a challenge from Ronald Reagan. In every other Republican convention ever held, every delegate has been free to vote their conscience. Let’s break this down, legal step by legal step:.....

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/436428/republican-convention-delegates-not-bound-donald-trump?utm_source=NR&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=June9French2
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 01:10:57 am by AbaraXas »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
Re: Not a Single Republican Delegate Is ‘Bound’ to Donald Trump
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 12:59:47 am »
Good article.  Well-explained.
Former Republican.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 01:01:40 am »
How soon before the harpies descend.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 01:02:06 am »

Such is true.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 01:03:41 am »
Heads exploding in 3....2....1....

Offline WAC

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 01:07:13 am »
How soon before the harpies descend.

Trump supporters are generally behind in understanding the process so I expect Trump and the supporters will get their pants in a knot again and the whining and screaming will occur as normal.

Won't be the first time...doe I hear a "It's Not fair!" train coming again!

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 01:07:41 am »
This is a lot clearer explanation than the other two articles that were posted about this.  Anyone planning a letter writing campaign to the delegates once we know who they are?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 01:08:21 am »
Not a Single Republican Delegate Is ‘Bound’ to Donald Trump

I've only been telling you this for how long now?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 01:10:53 am »
Which might at least partially explain why Trumpers are so unhappy and confrontational. 

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 01:11:14 am »
Excerpted original post.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 01:12:17 am »
This is a lot clearer explanation than the other two articles that were posted about this.  Anyone planning a letter writing campaign to the delegates once we know who they are?

I will.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 01:13:49 am »
I will.

OK, please put me on your list of helpers.  This could be a seriously worthwhile exercise.

...grammar, $#%@%#!!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 01:14:24 am by Sanguine »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 01:18:14 am »
I will.

Can't hurt but I will tell you that they already being made quite aware of this!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 01:19:24 am »
Can't hurt but I will tell you that they already being made quite aware of this!

It's easier to have courage to act when you know others are supporting you.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 01:19:53 am »

Eight stone years.   :smokin:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 01:20:16 am »

I know, but sometimes getting tons and tons of mail asking them to take advantage of being unbound will help to give some dutch courage.

Offline mlizzy

• Rosary for Peace
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 01:21:44 am »
America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign. -Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Offline kjam22

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 01:23:12 am »

Yep.   It's not rocket science that the party can do whatever they want in the convention.    Disqualify King Trumpy for whatever reason they want.  Kick him out of the party or whatever they want.   Change rules or whatever.   Question is if they'll have the guts to do it.   I wouldn't bet on it.

America needs God's forgiveness....... Even if Donald Trump doesn't think he does.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2016, 01:27:58 am »

Eight stone years.   :smokin:

:mauslaff: :finger:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 01:34:21 am »
Anyone planning a letter writing campaign to the delegates once we know who they are?

Watch this site-- http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P16/R-Alloc.phtml  They generally post lists as they are made available.

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 01:35:09 am »
I will.
I'd try to help, when I'm not working, at treatment, or in the hospital, or the doctor, or pt.  I just realized I'm kinda busy.
Former Republican.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 01:37:08 am »
Eric Erickson lies will result in every Cruz delegate being ejected from the Convention. They are bound under both State and National rules. And he knows this. Per USSC the National will remove and replace any delegate who plays this game as well as any party encouraging it. This has happened before with the Libertarians and it did not turn out well then either.

You NeverTrump also have another problem Manfort has made sure he has vast majority of Trump delegates.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline kjam22

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2016, 01:39:58 am »
Eric Erickson lies will result in every Cruz delegate being ejected from the Convention. They are bound under both State and National rules. And he knows this. Per USSC the National will remove and replace any delegate who plays this game as well as any party encouraging it. This has happened before with the Libertarians and it did not turn out well then either.

You NeverTrump also have another problem Manfort has made sure he has vast majority of Trump delegates.

All it takes is a vote to disqualify King Trumpy for "bad behavior" or any other reason.  Prior to casting delegate votes for president.   The party can do whatever it wants
America needs God's forgiveness....... Even if Donald Trump doesn't think he does.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 01:44:26 am »
All it takes is a vote to disqualify King Trumpy for "bad behavior" or any other reason.  Prior to casting delegate votes for president.   The party can do whatever it wants
You do not get it The RNC has anointed Trump. They per the USSC are masters of the convention. They can eject, void and replace anybody trying this. The price will be NO input in the platform etc going forward. Make no mistake Trump people will not allow it either and thanks to Manfort they will vastly outnumber your people. I would like to see Cruz people involved in going forward, but this stupidity will cause them to get kicked out.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2016, 01:44:56 am »

Name the Trump delegates.  Additionally, name the Trump delegates on the rules committee.  I would like to see a list.