Author Topic: The black hole within Donald Trump  (Read 2000 times)

cuky

The black hole within Donald Trump
« on: June 09, 2016, 03:54:08 pm »
The black hole within Donald Trump

https://www.yahoo.com/news/black-hole-within-donald-trump-000000238.html

I’m no advice columnist, and normally I wouldn’t use this space for relationship counseling, but here’s a small bit of wisdom that I’ve offered to a few friends over the years and that might be useful to Republicans in Washington.

When you’re deciding whether to plunge into a marriage, don’t ever make the mistake of thinking you’re marrying the person your partner is going to become, once he or she finally grows up or finds that perfect job or stops making meth in the basement. The only person you’re marrying is the one sitting right in front of you, and while some people do improve over time, only a fool would count on it.

But several weeks after “Never Trump” started giving way to “Trump, I guess,” this better, more sober-minded Trump was nowhere in sight. And then came the meltdown this week, after Trump said the Indiana-born judge in the civil suit against Trump University should recuse himself because he’s of Mexican descent and probably resents that the offspring of his ancestors are now going to be forced to build a giant wall at their own expense.

The problem with this statement isn’t merely its racism. It’s that Trump’s philosophy, if one can call it that, would negate the very idea that is America’s most important contribution to the advancement of humankind – that we are a citizenry defined by shared values, not by inherited identities.

In America, alone among nations, where you’ve been is not the sum of who you are. If Trump isn’t clear on that point (and nothing in his subsequent statements leads me to think he is), then he really has no business speaking to a social studies class, much less leading the free world.

In any event, Republican insiders now resemble Tom Hanks at that moment in “Apollo 13” when he realizes the capsule is adrift and the heat isn’t coming back on. The critical window between Trump’s effective nomination five weeks ago and next month’s convention is closing fast, and far from projecting more gravitas, Trump seems bent on making a fool of every credible Republican who has stepped up to tepidly endorse him.

“I’m with racist!” blared Wednesday’s New York Daily News cover, over a picture of Speaker Ryan pointing to Trump. If you know Ryan at all, you know that had to feel like a horse kick in the solar plexus. But less than a week after endorsing Trump, the party’s elected leader refused to un-endorse him.

But here’s the thing Ryan and I both should have understood about Trump, and that now seems to me the central fact of his existence: He is man tragically enslaved to his own neediness.

But for Trump, insecurity is not a manageable motivator. It is the black hole that consumes him.

He needs constantly to be talked about, admired, validated. He has an almost pathological obsession with ratings, polls, flattering profiles – anything that seems to call out, from the unrelenting darkness, “You exist and you are seen.” He talks about being a winner more than anyone I’ve ever met who doesn’t play with Pokémons or watch the Wiggles.

Everything in Trump’s spectacular American story – the labeling of high-rise towers with giant, gilded nameplates, the impersonating of a media flak so he could gush about his own business acumen and sex appeal – has been fueled by this need to prove himself special and deserving. So has the improbable campaign that has now landed him at the pinnacle of legitimacy.

Trump’s white, working-class supporters identify with this rage; they find it cathartic. And Republican leaders are loath to push those voters away.

But they also understand that the broader electorate will find the insults and bigotry increasingly reviling. The black hole, left unchecked, could swallow the party’s electoral hopes and leave no trace.

Here’s another psychoanalytical nugget I picked up years ago from a psychologist I knew socially for a while. She told me that however other people make you feel is always a reflection of how the world makes them feel.

No wonder Trump’s campaign seems bound to make us feel smaller and less worthy than we really are.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Re: The black hole within Donald Trump
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 04:04:48 pm »
Saw this coming from a million miles away.

Offline kjam22

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 04:18:43 pm »
There is a reality that 35 to 40% of people voting in the republican primary voted for King Trumpy simply because he said he was going to build a wall, kick out all of the illegal Mexicans, and ban muslims from entering this country.   If he had not articulated a single other position, he still had their votes.  That is all it took.

There is only one thing that can logically be true about that.  And, it is a reality.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 04:19:03 pm by kjam22 »
America needs God's forgiveness....... Even if Donald Trump doesn't think he does.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 06:01:46 pm »
There is a reality that 35 to 40% of people voting in the republican primary voted for King Trumpy simply because he said he was going to build a wall, kick out all of the illegal Mexicans, and ban muslims from entering this country.   If he had not articulated a single other position, he still had their votes.  That is all it took.

There is only one thing that can logically be true about that.  And, it is a reality.
If all the Trump supporters (I don't mean the ones who are voting for him to avoid Hillary) are honest with themselves, they'd admit The Wall is the  number one reason in their minds far outstripping all other reasons. And I'll admit I'm for either a wall or tougher immigration measures. But that is not the only reason to vote for a candidate.
Listening to people on the radio supporting Trump I'm extremely disappointed in a number of people I thought had more integrity. I'm speaking about Limbaugh, Steyn, and Hannity.
Steyn might be the biggest disappointment. Substituting for Limbaugh on his radio show lately when discussing Trump instead of discussing Trump's many faults, he automatically starts yakking about the sins of Hillary and other assorted Dems. He cannot bring himself to criticize one thing about Trump.
And his reason for choosing Trump over Cruz was equally disconcerting. It was because he doesn't think Cruz gives a very good public speech. Yes, that's why Steyn supports Trump over Cruz....he didn't like the way Cruz delivered a speech during the primaries, so therefore Trump is a much superior candidate.
His other think is to rail against the Pubbie establishment. The same public establishment that is supporting Trump and has mounted an all out assault on Cruz. There is no issue that Cruz does not crush Trump. Yet Steyn thinks Trump is the voice of the people because of Pubbies like McConnell and Boehner....two pubbies who support Trump. What great logic....not.
I have to believe Steyn and Limbaugh are being dishonest with their listeners in not admitting The Wall is also issue number one with them.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 06:03:26 pm »
It's a sad commentary on a segment of the population that Trump is the nominee.

He reached the dark inner workings of his supporters who are consumed by hate.  I got his original appeal ... it was so refreshing to hear someone take on political correctness and the media ... stuff we are so sick of.

But anyone who learned more about him, should have been appalled and backed away.

The black hole is probably most apparent in Trump's treatment of women.  I doubt if he's ever had a normal relationship with a woman that involved trust, friendship and love.

He uses women to validate his own ego.  A woman who spurns him is in danger of life-long hate and recriminations.

Look at Megyn Kelly.  She is an attractive gal and Trump confidently set out to woo her.  He sent her clippings of herself with little notes of approval.  Then she did not fawn over him at the debate.  She wasn't even that mean... just mildly confrontive.  The resulting obsession ... still in existence...should be a wake-up call to anyone who thinks Trump is normal.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline mlizzy

• Rosary for Peace
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 06:30:20 pm »
He sent her clippings of herself with little notes of approval.  Then she did not fawn over him at the debate.  She wasn't even that mean... just mildly confrontive.  The resulting obsession ... still in existence...should be a wake-up call to anyone who thinks Trump is normal.

I hadn't heard of the clippings; further weirdness. I don't know how Melania puts up with him, other than to say they must have an "arrangement" of sorts.
America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign. -Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 06:52:52 pm »
It’s that Trump’s philosophy, if one can call it that, would negate the very idea that is America’s most important contribution to the advancement of humankind – that we are a citizenry defined by shared values, not by inherited identities.

But...but...the entire Democratic playbook is inherited identities.  All this stuff about "cultural appropriation", etc.... They live and breath that stuff.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 07:13:49 pm »
yahoo defecates another Trump hit piece for Hillary.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 11:47:17 pm »
I hadn't heard of the clippings; further weirdness. I don't know how Melania puts up with him, other than to say they must have an "arrangement" of sorts.

I saw an interview with Megyn in which she told about Trump's attempts to woo her.  He would send clippings about her with little notes written on them saying how much he admired her.  I think he was devastated that she was 'mean' to him when he thought he had her snowed.

As far as his relationship with Melania is concerned, it's scary.  After one debate, Trump had an ad hoc interview with O'Reilly and Melania was standing there ... a little apart.  The body chemistry was so telling.  She was afraid to even approach until he called her in and then the interview with her was totally awkward.

I would not be her for any amount of money.  I think he's ready to trade her in.  She's past her sell-by date and he would have already done so if he were not running for president.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 11:50:50 pm »
I saw an interview with Megyn in which she told about Trump's attempts to woo her.  He would send clippings about her with little notes written on them saying how much he admired her.  I think he was devastated that she was 'mean' to him when he thought he had her snowed.

As far as his relationship with Melania is concerned, it's scary.  After one debate, Trump had an ad hoc interview with O'Reilly and Melania was standing there ... a little apart.  The body chemistry was so telling.  She was afraid to even approach until he called her in and then the interview with her was totally awkward.

I would not be her for any amount of money.  I think he's ready to trade her in.  She's past her sell-by date and he would have already done so if he were not running for president.
Hes 70, that dog does not hunt.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 11:59:06 pm »
Hes 70, that dog does not hunt.

If Trump was a guy working at Home Depot, he would have a hard time getting any woman ... much less a hot one.

He has no idea that he's an unattractive male, almost 70, because he a master of self-delusion.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 12:10:29 am »
If Trump was a guy working at Home Depot, he would have a hard time getting any woman ... much less a hot one.

He has no idea that he's an unattractive male, almost 70, because he a master of self-delusion.
He has $$$$, that makes him attractive to many women.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 12:20:04 am »
Another thread elevating Hillary.  Nice.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 12:22:22 am »
He has $$$$, that makes him attractive to many women.

Golddiggers.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 12:32:59 am »

Nary a mention of Hillary until you came along.

Scaring us about HIllary AIN'T WORKIN', RIV!!!
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 01:59:14 am »
Golddiggers.

There is not enough money in the universe to make Donald Trump attractive.  Women who have thought so have paid dearly.  Melania is paying right now.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 02:00:25 am »

I'm certainly not elevating Hillary.  Where did you see me say that?  I just Trump is possibly the only human in the known universe who is actually worse than Hillary.

geronl

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 03:08:17 am »

The arrangement is that she can stay as long as she lets him do what he wants. If she complains about his flings, she'll be out on her rear. And like Marla, if she criticizes him after the divorce he will even try to cut off the alimony payments. (a judge shut him down on that one)

He is venal and vindictive.

geronl

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2016, 03:09:40 am »
I saw an interview with Megyn in which she told about Trump's attempts to woo her.  He would send clippings about her with little notes written on them saying how much he admired her

Trump has done that to a lot of women he wanted to bed.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 04:54:17 am »
The arrangement is that she can stay as long as she lets him do what he wants. If she complains about his flings, she'll be out on her rear. And like Marla, if she criticizes him after the divorce he will even try to cut off the alimony payments. (a judge shut him down on that one)

He is venal and vindictive.

If she got a decent pre-nup and has some alimony coming, wonder why she doesn't just leave.  I think she may be afraid of him.  She has reason.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 12:51:28 pm »
If she got a decent pre-nup and has some alimony coming, wonder why she doesn't just leave.  I think she may be afraid of him.  She has reason.

My thoughts also.  Watching their body language made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.  They have a son.  I assume that is a factor also.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline plewis1250

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 12:58:30 pm »
I'm certainly not elevating Hillary.  Where did you see me say that?  I just Trump is possibly the only human in the known universe who is actually worse than Hillary.

Unless you bow to master Trump, you are considered the enemy. That's what is being implied.

This is NOT a binary choice. Just because I dislike Trump does not mean I like Hillary. Just because I dislike Hillary does not mean I like Trump. I'm not some Middle East whack job who believes the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Both Trump and Hillary are unacceptable and unqualified to be the POTUS. To argue otherwise shows one's ineptitude at critical thinking. Or perhaps it displays their true intentions and where they value life, liberty, and the Constitution.

Screw those demanding I succumb to the orange tinted barbarian. Go pound sand.

#NEVERTRUMP AND #NEVERHILLARY
The pecking order: Christian, American, Conservative