Author Topic: Did #NeverTrump Have to Happen?  (Read 276 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Did #NeverTrump Have to Happen?
« on: June 08, 2016, 12:45:14 pm »
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/436320/print

Did #NeverTrump Have to Happen?
The GOP lies fractured over Trump’s candidacy — but it didn’t have to be this way.
By Dan McLaughlin — June 8, 2016

One of the questions that has hung in the air since Donald Trump effectively clinched the GOP nomination a month ago is whether the #NeverTrump movement — the large-scale rupture between the Republican nominee and, at a minimum, a large swath of the conservative movement — was an inevitable result of a Trump nomination. I think it was not — at least, not inevitable simply due to Trump’s record before running. Trump brought this on himself — and is still doing so. If a lingering conservative resistance to Trump was inevitable, it’s only because this is who Trump is.

Let’s think back to an alternative universe where Trump approached his campaign differently. Donald Trump is not a stupid man, and he clearly put some thought into certain aspects of his presidential run. For example, in 2014 he read — or at least claimed to read — Rick Santorum’s book Blue Collar Conservatives, and cited it to Santorum at the time as inspiration for the working-class focused message he would go on to make the centerpiece of his campaign. While that message was in line with some of Trump’s prior inclinations (he had been blasting foreign trade, especially with Asia, for a quarter century), it is clear that Trump’s focus on working-class voters is not accidental.

Now imagine what would have happened if Trump had looked at conservative and Republican voters and the ideas, platforms, and goals that have motivated them across the country — in races from the local to the national — over the past several decades, with an eye toward making himself minimally acceptable to most conservatives. Imagine that he had sat down with major GOP foreign-policy hands, whether or not he agreed with them, and spent time studying up on national-security issues. Imagine if he had spent even a few days looking into the constitutional issues of great import to conservatives, and had hired some responsible people to develop a message about the federal judiciary. Imagine if he had informed himself about the Republican legislative proposals kicking around Capitol Hill, at least enough to identify a few he supported.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Re: Did #NeverTrump Have to Happen?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 01:04:30 pm »
This week’s flap, with Judge Curiel and the Trump University lawsuit, relates to a different aspect of Trump’s irresponsibility, his incessant race-baiting — and worse, demagoguery done in service of his own personal causes rather than anything that could arguably construed as an interest of the Republican party or the conservative movement. It’s a stance that further undermines the instrumental argument for trusting Trump to appoint good judges, as well as reminding those on the fence of the perils of being associated with Trump.

Trump's tirade against Curiel destroys the argument that he would be better than Hillary on judges.  His personal pique governs everything he does, as does his bigoted attitudes.

There is now, as of this past weekend, no reason whatsoever to prefer Trump over Hillary.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 01:13:30 pm »
The man is a vile, vulgar, perverted pimp on-man and I would oppose him even if he took the right stands on all the issues without flip-flopping.

HonestJohn

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 09:32:14 pm »
I wouldn't trust him in a foxhole.

In fact, I'd look for another foxhole.

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 09:46:03 pm »
I wouldn't trust him in a foxhole.

In fact, I'd look for another foxhole.

His boarding school chums should have fragged his a$$ and saved us all from the stench of death he has put upon the GOP.