Author Topic: Philippine president-elect urges public to kill drug dealers  (Read 310 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Philippine president-elect urges public to kill drug dealers
By JIM GOMEZ
Jun. 5, 2016

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — The Philippine president-elect has encouraged the public to help him in his war against crime, urging citizens with guns to shoot and kill drug dealers who resist arrest and fight back in their neighborhoods.

In a nationally televised speech late Saturday, Rodrigo Duterte told a huge crowd in the southern city of Davao that Filipinos who help him battle crime will be rewarded.

"Please feel free to call us, the police, or do it yourself if you have the gun — you have my support," Duterte said, warning of an extensive illegal drug trade that involves even the country's police.

If a drug dealer resists arrest or refuses to be brought to a police station and threatens a citizen with a gun or a knife, "you can kill him," Duterte said. "Shoot him and I'll give you a medal."

more at:  http://bigstory.ap.org/article/58fc2315d488426ca2512fc9fc8d6427/philippine-president-elect-urges-public-kill-drug-dealers

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline montanajoe

Re: Philippine president-elect urges public to kill drug dealers
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 02:25:56 am »
Duterte won with 38% of the vote in a 5 man race. He is opposed by the Catholic church in the Philippines. He wants closer ties with the Chinese and will likely block the proposed reestablishment of an American military presence in the PI.

There are many there who would like to return to the days of Marcos and I suspect this will be used to eliminate his political opponents. I would pass through there on Uncle Sam almost 50 years ago and have lived there off and on for many years since. My friends and relatives there are  all very uneasy about this guy. I think he is going to make a dangerous place to live much more dangerous and he could very well do lasting harm to the Philippines and its people...

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Philippine president-elect urges public to kill drug dealers
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 02:49:11 am »
Duterte won with 38% of the vote in a 5 man race. He is opposed by the Catholic church in the Philippines. He wants closer ties with the Chinese and will likely block the proposed reestablishment of an American military presence in the PI.

There are many there who would like to return to the days of Marcos and I suspect this will be used to eliminate his political opponents. I would pass through there on Uncle Sam almost 50 years ago and have lived there off and on for many years since. My friends and relatives there are  all very uneasy about this guy. I think he is going to make a dangerous place to live much more dangerous and he could very well do lasting harm to the Philippines and its people...

Thanks for the analysis.  Sounds rather incisive, we have quite a few from over there here as well but generally, I don't know them well enough to talk about these matters. A situation to watch.