Author Topic: Europe Set To Introduce Basic Miniumum Income In 2017  (Read 279 times)

Offline mirraflake

Europe Set To Introduce Basic Miniumum Income In 2017
« on: June 02, 2016, 02:29:47 pm »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/02/state-handouts-for-all-europe-set-to-pilot-universal-basic-incomes

To its acolytes, it is the revolutionary policy idea whose arrival is as urgently needed as it is inevitable. In a future in which robots decimate the jobs but not necessarily the wealth of nations, they argue, states should be able to afford to pay all their citizens a basic income unconditional of needs or requirements.

Universal basic income has a rare appeal across the political spectrum. For those on the left, it promises to eliminate poverty and liberate people stuck in dead-end workfare jobs. Small-state libertarians believe it could slash bureaucracy and create a leaner, more self-sufficient welfare system.
Should we scrap benefits and pay everyone £100 a week?
Read more

In an increasingly digital economy, it would also provide a necessary injection of cash so people can afford to buy the apps and gadgets produced by the new robot workforce.

Crucially, it is also an idea that seems to resonate across the wider public. A recent poll by Dalia Research found that 68% of people across all 28 EU member states said they would definitely or probably vote for a universal basic income initiative. Finland and the Netherlands have pilot projects in the pipeline.

This weekend the concept faces its first proper test of public opinion, as Switzerland votes on a proposal to introduce a national basic income.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 02:30:31 pm by mirraflake »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Europe Set To Introduce Basic Miniumum Income In 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 02:37:26 pm »
Not a bad proposal if it includes getting rid of welfare, food stamps, SSDI etc.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 02:40:53 pm »

This was suggested by Milton Friedman, and by Charles Murray. In place of all other forms of welfare, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 02:46:48 pm »
Not a bad proposal if it includes getting rid of welfare, food stamps, SSDI etc.

I would be interested in seeing the fine print.

Offline kidd

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 03:01:31 pm »
IMHO, this is ripe for abuse.

First, it eliminates what's left of the stigma of being on government assistance
Second, it eliminates motivation. Why work when you are guaranteed an income?
Third, it encourages illegal income. "You mean I can deal drugs AND get a government check too?"
Fourth, the controls on current government assistance programs are really poor, but at least they are there. Boozers would have NO restrictions on buying alcohol with their government income
Fifth, this only encourages big government. Who are people on a minimum income going to vote for? Those who will raise the minimum amount, of course.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 03:05:48 pm »
Cut all other benefits out, get rid of the plethora of welfare agencies, and means test it on the tax return, and it probably ends up being a wash cost-wise for taxpayers.  It will, however, reduce economic productivity and will encourage the growth of a black market economy. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 03:13:22 pm »
IMHO, this is ripe for abuse.

First, it eliminates what's left of the stigma of being on government assistance
Second, it eliminates motivation. Why work when you are guaranteed an income?
Third, it encourages illegal income. "You mean I can deal drugs AND get a government check too?"
Fourth, the controls on current government assistance programs are really poor, but at least they are there. Boozers would have NO restrictions on buying alcohol with their government income
Fifth, this only encourages big government. Who are people on a minimum income going to vote for? Those who will raise the minimum amount, of course.

Addressing your good points:

1 - So much of government assistance is online these days which has damped down the stigma

2- Yeah and why work when you get SSDI, welfare food stamps, etc? Same thing really.

3 - see 2

4 - money is fungible, see 2

5 - again, see 2.

We already have welfare. I think guaranteed income, as long as it's in lieu of welfare, SSDI, food stamps, would be better for a variety of reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'd get rid of welfare et al. if I could (although SSDI might still be necessary). Politically speaking though, it just ain't gonna happen. Another conservative pipe dream. We have to play ball with pea brained fools called liberals.