Author Topic: Opinion: Trump and the media smokescreen  (Read 645 times)

Offline markomalley

Opinion: Trump and the media smokescreen
« on: May 31, 2016, 10:42:47 am »
From some source called the Independent Florida Alligator (honestly don't know about the source, but the piece makes a lot of good points):

So, let’s talk about The Donald. Let’s not talk about his obscene, blanket remarks labeling illegal immigrants as criminals bent on destroying society or the fact he thinks Islam somehow has a hatred for the U.S. that nobody else can see. Rather, let’s talk about the fact he can make his massive media attention devoid of any actual news to work to his advantage.

The media’s love fest with Donald Trump should not be all that shocking. The media, like any other business, needs a profit, and the media can only do that by gaining ratings and sponsors. No one can put eyeballs to television screens like a celebrity mogul who says whatever he wants.

Where media outlets fail to knock Trump down just like any other candidate is their inability to get him to answer a question in a straightforward manner. Whenever the alphabet soup of an answer comes out of The Donald’s mouth without any real coherence, the interviewer will usually go onto the next question without posing much resistance.

However, it goes beyond blaming the media, because Trump himself is playing the networks like a finely tuned violin, especially last week with him clogging the news cycle with nearly every Clinton family controversy that ever graced a 1990s newspaper, along with new attacks against Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass. They gave him multiple hours of coverage on the 24-hour news cycle.

More importantly, these attacks were the kind Trump thoroughly enjoys because it gave him control of the conversation once again. In Trump’s campaign, not all news is good news. For example, Trump in the news cycle for refusing to disclose his tax returns is not-so-good news. It puts Trump on the defensive side, a place he doesn’t want to be no matter how much of a “counterpuncher” he claims he is.

This is how Trump utilizes the media to his advantage: a smokescreen to distract from the continual and justified criticisms about his policies he wishes to create if he were to reach the presidency. It is much easier attacking Hillary Clinton or a prominent GOP official than discussing the details of his plan to build a wall across the southern border.

Instead, we are stuck with a smokescreen of shallowness where none of the issues can be discussed. Even Trump’s issues of immigration take a backseat to the insults and conspiracy theories being thrown around by the candidate.

Right now, the only person it is benefitting is Trump, and until the media learns how to approach him differently, we will continue to face news cycles clogged with anything but actual prescriptions on how to make America greater than it already is.

Leaving the leftie bias of the piece aside, I think the author makes exactly the right point: Trump and his trolling is playing the media like a fiddle. I know that some of you are positing the idea that he is mentally ill. I personally think he is crazy...like a fox. And like any media savvy figure, he knows how to play people.

If the conspiracy theory that he is actually doing this in concert with the Clinton crime family is true, he will take a dive when he is ready to take a dive: the question will be if he'll take the dive in the 13th or 14th round. If he is a megalomaniac that actually wants to be President, then he won't take that dive (my question in that case would be: when will they have their version of the Reichstag Fire?)

(on edit: fixed the headline)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:01:42 am by markomalley »

Offline oldmomster

Re: Opinion: Trump and the media smokescree
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 11:00:19 am »

Leaving the leftie bias of the piece aside, I think the author makes exactly the right point: Trump and his trolling is playing the media like a fiddle. I know that some of you are positing the idea that he is mentally ill. I personally think he is crazy...like a fox. And like any media savvy figure, he knows how to play people.

Exactly what Rush has been saying for months - he's playing the media, he's playing the people, and he is an EXPERT at it.  Just imagine what it must be like at the Trump household watching the heads of the intellectual elites EXPLODE.

He truly is the entertainer among pols and he's just started in on hitlery.  Vince Foster death, whitewater, benghazi will be on first page of the rags till election day. 

I just don't see him as evil, but thats just my humble opinion.  Time will tell. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 11:46:22 am »
Exactly what Rush has been saying for months - he's playing the media, he's playing the people, and he is an EXPERT at it.  Just imagine what it must be like at the Trump household watching the heads of the intellectual elites EXPLODE.

He truly is the entertainer among pols and he's just started in on hitlery.  Vince Foster death, whitewater, benghazi will be on first page of the rags till election day. 

I just don't see him as evil, but thats just my humble opinion.  Time will tell.

Sadly Rush is part of that smokescreen this election cycle.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline oldmomster

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 12:05:06 pm »
Sadly Rush is part of that smokescreen this election cycle.

I listen every day.  He gave his opinion on who conservatives should vote for.  Cruz was MY candidate and looked like the man to bring the rule of law back to government.  The nimrods working for Cruz lost it FOR him by playing fast and furious with Melania story, Carson story and his Dad practically calling him the Savior every-other-day.

If dissecting the news of the day - of which Trump is a HUUUUUGE portion, stating strategies he wishes repubs would come up with, outing faux-conservatives like Ryan makes Rush the smokescreen, then I'll takes my chances with the smokescreen.

I live in Realville.   

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 12:20:39 pm »
I listen every day.  He gave his opinion on who conservatives should vote for.  Cruz was MY candidate and looked like the man to bring the rule of law back to government. 

I listen too...or at least I did up to a point.  He's completely in the tank for Trump.  There's no doubt about it.

The nimrods working for Cruz lost it FOR him by playing fast and furious with Melania story, Carson story 

They did no such thing.

and his Dad practically calling him the Savior every-other-day.

IMHO a lot of what Rafael Cruz said was taken wayyyy out of context.

If dissecting the news of the day - of which Trump is a HUUUUUGE portion, stating strategies he wishes repubs would come up with, outing faux-conservatives like Ryan makes Rush the smokescreen, then I'll takes my chances with the smokescreen.

Of course you will.  Which makes your statement about being a Cruz guy originally seem disingenuous.

Rush has given a pass too or attempted to outright explain away things trump says and does that he would crucify other Establishment and RINO types for saying and doing.

Remember how he lambasted JEB Bush for days on end...still does if the topic comes up...about how he planned to win the nomination without the support of the Conservative base?

Guess who gets a total pass on the same thing?  Donald trump.  His stupid comments on abortion and whom should be punished?  Pass.  The list is endless. 

As I've said before in much greater detail...it became clear to me that he was in the tank for Trump when he made his comments about how "the media didn't make him and the media can't break him" and proceeded to describe how Trump came up through politics this last year doing it wrong according to the "experts."  Rush could have been talking about himself and how he became the king of talk radio.  So you will never hear a harsh word spoken by Limbaugh about Trump...he see's him as a fellow traveler.

I live in Realville.

Nope not really. Trumpville maybe...but not Realville.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline markomalley

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 12:40:20 pm »
I listen too...or at least I did up to a point.  He's completely in the tank for Trump.  There's no doubt about it.

They did no such thing.

Of course you will.  Which makes your statement about being a Cruz guy originally seem disingenuous.

Rush has given a pass too or attempted to outright explain away things trump says and does that he would crucify other Establishment and RINO types for saying and doing.

Remember how he lambasted JEB Bush for days on end...still does if the topic comes up...about how he planned to win the nomination without the support of the Conservative base?

Guess who gets a total pass on the same thing?  Donald trump.  His stupid comments on abortion and whom should be punished?  Pass.  The list is endless. 

As I've said before in much greater detail...it became clear to me that he was in the tank for Trump when he made his comments about how "the media didn't make him and the media can't break him" and proceeded to describe how Trump came up through politics this last year doing it wrong according to the "experts."  Rush could have been talking about himself and how he became the king of talk radio.  So you will never hear a harsh word spoken by Limbaugh about Trump...he see's him as a fellow traveler.

Bear in mind that Rush is an entertainer. He generated revenue from listeners. He's going to say what gets him market share.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 12:42:42 pm »
Bear in mind that Rush is an entertainer. He generated revenue from listeners. He's going to say what gets him market share.

He transcended the "entertainer" moniker l a long long time ago.  If he was truly worried about market share...he wouldn't have gone all in for trump.

Ask Fox News about market share since they became the 24/7 Trump TV Channel.

Offline oldmomster

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 12:58:59 pm »

They did no such thing.

They most certainly did.  The fem running the Cruz Superpac decided it would be a good thing to post pictures of Melania Trump in her model days.  You saying Ted approved this?????  of course he did not - but the damage was done.  His own campaign staff that took the comments about Carson and ran with them WITHOUT checking their facts first - the damage was done - lying Ted. 

Watch the videos - not taken out of context.  Ted Cruz was running for president - not pope.  His dad went waaaaaaaaaaay overboard and it stuck to Ted like glue.  Damage done.

Are you calling me a liar?  I am still a Cruz supporter, but I fear he has been Palinized.  I will send him more money if he runs again, as I believe the only way to fix our broken system is through rule of law - NOT cult of personality. 

In case you didn't notice, Trump has NOT BEEN ELECTED TO ANY OFFICE.  The estabs and rinos have, and most of them based on promises they made and have since  broken.

So, you were so happy with the Globull Bushes that lambasting a faux-conservative for saying he didn't need the conservatives is offensive?

Sorry, but if abortion becomes illegal I  believe women who get abortions should be punished - the same way drug users should be.  Its murder.  Lets not pretend the instigator of the murder is innocent.  Nobody wakes up and finds their baby has been aborted. 

Your take - I hear a man stating facts about HOW someone is running, then getting charged with supporting him.  Rush has made it clear from the very beginning that he will support the party candidate. 

My candidate has been defeated.  I hope he will run another day.  Its called Realville - not trumpville or cruzville.  Can we not leave the tags back with JR?