Author Topic: Editorial: Compulsory service is a better way  (Read 236 times)

Offline markomalley

Editorial: Compulsory service is a better way
« on: May 25, 2016, 10:20:08 am »
Note: if I was still posting on TOS, I would label this as a "Barf Alert".

From the Concord Monitor:

In a few days, America will honor the tiny percentage who serve in the nation’s armed forces and, in some cases, give their lives for the sake of their country. Less than one half of 1 percent of the population serves and very few of them come from the ranks of the well-off, let alone the 1 percent.

The all-volunteer army courts danger on several fronts. It risks the creation of a military class separate from civilians. It makes it easier to make and sustain wars since unlike in the Vietnam era, potential protest is limited and the decision-makers do not put their own children in harm’s way.

The answer does not, as some have suggested, lie in reinstating the hated draft but in due course making service of some kind mandatory.

(snip)

Ideally, every American between ages 18 and 30 would be required to spend at least one year serving their country. Service could be in the military, in existing programs like AmeriCorps or in new programs created to meet societal needs while giving youth work experience and the chance to pick up a few skills.

In exchange, the participant would, as with the G.I. Bill that improved the lives of countless returning veterans, earn a living stipend and credit toward free tuition in a college or technical school.

(remainder snipped)

So in other words, the Concord Monitor wants to make mandatory a universal Social Justice Warrior program. I wonder if the Mao suits will come with this program?