Author Topic: Big-name donors join Trump fundraising team  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Mechanicos

Re: Big-name donors join Trump fundraising team
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2016, 12:09:40 pm »
And here I thought Trump was going to be self-funding.  Guess that was just another lie, I mean truthful hyperbole.  Apparently even Trump is afraid to put his money where his mouth is.
He has self Funded the Primary. My challenge stands for #neverTrump to prove he promised to self-fund the General. And Please a Primary is not a General election no matter how much #neverTrump wants a false talking point. Unless and until there is proof that 1 A primary is a General Election and 2 Trump promised to self-fund the General election this is a just another #neverTrump/democrat lie.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2016, 12:45:14 pm »
Actually its #neverTrumps Deception no one is buying. A Primary is not a General. You lose.
Distinction without a difference, and you have convinced how many people you are right?

Oh, including yourself, that's one.

Sheesh, grow up.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2016, 12:50:53 pm »
Personally I think he should practice what he preaches throughout the whole campaign.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Henry Noel

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2016, 12:53:55 pm »
He has self Funded the Primary. My challenge stands for #neverTrump to prove he promised to self-fund the General. And Please a Primary is not a General election no matter how much #neverTrump wants a false talking point. Unless and until there is proof that 1 A primary is a General Election and 2 Trump promised to self-fund the General election this is a just another #neverTrump/democrat lie.

There was no need for him to say anything about the general election. He rallied the other candidates on taking money from donors and thus coming under their sway, holding himself aloft as the only candidate for whom this wouldn't be so. Obviously if he intended to take donor money in the election, he too, like the other candidates, would come under the sway of the donors. That's all that's necessary to tar him at the very least as a damned hypocrite, and a "sharp" operator who prides himself on being able to con the gullible.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2016, 01:11:28 pm »
Distinction without a difference, and you have convinced how many people you are right?

Oh, including yourself, that's one.

Sheesh, grow up.
78% of the voters last night apparently rejected your #neverTrump agitprop....

:mauslaff:
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2016, 01:20:21 pm »
78% of the voters last night apparently rejected your #neverTrump agitprop....

:mauslaff:
Hmm, Trump is the only one running, and he only gets 78%.   :silly:

But I digress...

First off, I'm not #neverTrump.  If Trump demonstrates some desire to govern as a conservative, he has my vote.

Second, we weren't discussing the voters in yesterday's primary.  We were talking about your declaration that Trump didn't intend to self fund throughout the campaign.

The meme from the Trump campaign was that he is self funding and is therefor not beholden to any outside influences.  Those were his words.  That is no longer true.  Your declaration that it was only for the primary and not the general is irrelevant.  He is now beholden to the donors who are funding his campaign, in direct contradiction to his own statements.

And you have failed to convince anyone other than yourself that this is not the case. 
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2016, 01:21:55 pm »
First you do understand they are two entirely different campaigns with different targets goals, staff and methods.
He has differentiated many times in his rallies. He has never promised to self fund the SEPARATE General election. Although he did distinguish back in 15 there was no need too as common sense says they are two separate campaigns. The burden is on the ones claiming he promised to fund the general election to provide proof of that claim with the term "general" in their proof. So far none have been able too.

So, Trump did not want want to be beholden to donors after the primary election, but he has no problem being beholden to donors after the general election?  That makes ZERO sense.  Isn't Trump now bought and paid for by the same establishment he accused others of being bought and paid for by?

Trump has always been full of it.  Too bad so many were conned by his BS.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 01:23:02 pm by Eowyn »

Oceander

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2016, 01:22:36 pm »

But I digress...

First off, I'm not #neverTrump.  If Trump demonstrates some desire to govern as a conservative, he has my vote.

Second, we weren't discussing the voters in yesterday's primary.  We were talking about your declaration that Trump didn't intend to self fund throughout the campaign.

The meme from the Trump campaign was that he is self funding and is therefor not beholden to any outside influences.  Those were his words.  That is no longer true.  Your declaration that it was only for the primary and not the general is irrelevant.  He is now beholden to the donors who are funding his campaign, in direct contradiction to his own statements.

And you have failed to convince anyone other than yourself that this is not the case. 

Good post. 

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2016, 01:25:23 pm »

*Perfectly* stated.
James 1:20

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2016, 01:25:59 pm »
Good post.
Indeed.

Post more Just_Victor.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2016, 01:33:42 pm »

Sorry, Mech, I just don't buy into the notion that outside funding from donors in the primary is bad, but funding in the general is good, or, at best,  is a necessary evil.

I can make the argument that funding in the primary "to buy one off" is more of a gamble than funding in the general "to buy one off".
In the primary, there were multiple candidates to support, and by donating to them you ran the "risk", with 17-to-1 odds there would be a "reward".
Now, the odds drop to 2-to-1, less "risk" for the eventual "reward".
To make the assumption that the primary was for "buying off" and the general is for more "altruist" purposes isn't a very strong argument.

I won't accuse any candidate, in the general or the primary of being "bought off" unless evidence surfaces to the contrary.
The accusation that Cruz and others were beholden to their donors, and Trump's donors are beholden to him just doesn't wash.
They are all getting donations from the same pool of players.

I had always said that Trump's self funding in the primary would be repaid as a loan.
I have also said that he would require donations to run in the general, to be competitive.
I was blasted from here to Jupiter for saying so.

My saying was "just wait and see, and watch who donates".
We have waited and we see who is donating.
No surprise, frankly.
The politically active with money yesterday are the same politically active with money today.

Oceander

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2016, 01:35:12 pm »
Sorry, Mech, I just don't buy into the notion that outside funding from donors in the primary is bad, but funding in the general is good, or, at best,  is a necessary evil.

I can make the argument that funding in the primary "to buy one off" is more of a gamble than funding in the general "to buy one off".
In the primary, there were multiple candidates to support, and by donating to them you ran the "risk", with 17-to-1 odds there would be a "reward".
Now, the odds drop to 2-to-1, less "risk" for the eventual "reward".
To make the assumption that the primary was for "buying off" and the general is for more "altruist" purposes isn't a very strong argument.

I won't accuse any candidate, in the general or the primary of being "bought off" unless evidence surfaces to the contrary.
The accusation that Cruz and others were beholden to their donors, and Trump's donors are beholden to him just doesn't wash.

I had always said that Trump's self funding in the primary would be repaid as a loan.
I have also said that he would require donations to run in the general, to be competitive.
I was blasted from here to Jupiter for saying so.

My saying was "just wait and see, and watch who donates".
We have waited and we see who is donating.
No surprise, frankly.
The politically active with money yesterday are the same politically active with money today.

Good post

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2016, 01:43:16 pm »

Very well stated GrouchoTex.  A clear description of the intellectual dishonesty of this particular pro-Trump meme.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2016, 01:45:22 pm »
Good post

Thanks, even a broke clock can be right twice a day, LOL.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2016, 01:56:08 pm »
Very well stated GrouchoTex.  A clear description of the intellectual dishonesty of this particular pro-Trump meme.

This has been one of the more frustrating aspects of the entire campaign season, frankly.
It is okay when one candidate does _____:it is bad when one of the other candidates does _____.
In all honesty, I have seen it cut all different directions, depending on who supported which candidate.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2016, 02:05:37 pm »
Actually its #neverTrumps Deception no one is buying. A Primary is not a General. You lose.

Just you saying that means you don't know what you're talking about. Exactly what campaigns have you run, or are we just listening to the musings of the poseur class?

The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2016, 02:06:59 pm »

Your challenge? You're making castles in the clouds, lines in the air, distinctions without a difference.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2016, 02:11:03 pm »

But I digress...

There were 4 GOP names on that ballot, Carson, Cruz and Queech in addition to Trump and the Liberals in #neverTrump were very active there hoping to score some of those crooked GOPe delegates for Cruz at the convention.

And you have not proven hes beholden to anybody. You make a claim not backed up by real world evidence. Hes their boss. Like I said, #neverTrump lies are not selling to the GOP voters.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2016, 02:17:27 pm »

BOOM! And that's what I've been getting at.

The donor pool is the donor pool, same donors before and after the primary. The pool barely changes from primary to general.

In fact, in the primary you can, with your spouse, contribute the max for both the primary and general in one check. The funds for the general can't be spent, but they can be donated, because the simple fact is most of the donors a candidate will line up in the primary, are the same ones for the general.

And anyone that knows anything about campaigns, they know that as you're running for the primary, you're laying groundwork for the general. The general is simply a matter of an expanded base and vote pool. You don't change 'tactics, staff, and methods.' If you've done it right you should barely have to change anything at all, just alter the message priority to fit a large audience.

The Republic is lost.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2016, 02:23:18 pm »

And you have not proven hes beholden to anybody. You make a claim not backed up by real world evidence. Hes their boss. Like I said, #neverTrump lies are not selling to the GOP voters.

Logic dictates that if other candidates were beholden to their donors, then if the same donors donate to Trump, he,too, will be beholden to these donors.

Logic also dictates that if Trump is not beholden to these donors, then the other candidates were also not beholden to these donors.

"He's their boss" applies evenly, across the spectrum,or it applies nowhere, across the spectrum.

As you say, No one can prove Trump is beholden to these donors.
Likewise, no one can prove others who have received donations are beholden to these same set of donors, either.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2016, 02:30:33 pm »
There were 4 GOP names on that ballot, Carson, Cruz and Queech in addition to Trump and the Liberals in #neverTrump were very active there hoping to score some of those crooked GOPe delegates for Cruz at the convention.

Those 'crooked GOPe delegates' are nothing but a conspiracy fiction and fantasy in your mind. They're called the grassroots, something Trump has been unable to cultivate. He just gets the angry drive-bys.

That's going to kill him in the general.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2016, 02:40:47 pm »
Logic dictates that if other candidates were beholden to their donors, then if the same donors donate to Trump, he,too, will be beholden to these donors.

Logic also dictates that if Trump is not beholden to these donors, then the other candidates were also not beholden to these donors.

"He's their boss" applies evenly, across the spectrum,or it applies nowhere, across the spectrum.

As you say, No one can prove Trump is beholden to these donors.
Likewise, no one can prove others who have received donations are beholden to these same set of donors, either.
No Logic does not so dictate. For one None of them were Billionaires who had their position already earned before they negotiated with the donors. So Money and Power were not what was the asset they could use to gain control.
As far as the others yes, They are Nothing without their donors, No political life, no office etc. Trump showed he could do it without their help. He does not need them but all the normal politicians do which is why the Donor class normally is the ones in power with the elected ones merely a figurehead who does what they are told. Its about who controls whom. Trump has the power position not the beggar position like the others.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2016, 02:43:28 pm »
Those 'crooked GOPe delegates' are nothing but a conspiracy fiction and fantasy in your mind. They're called the grassroots, something Trump has been unable to cultivate. He just gets the angry drive-bys.

That's going to kill him in the general.
Here is your #neverTrump "grassroots"
http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/03/08/tech-ceos-meet-secretly-with-gop-leaders-to-stop-trump/
Liberals and Establishment...

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2016, 02:46:19 pm »

And you have not proven hes beholden to anybody. You make a claim not backed up by real world evidence. Hes their boss.

No one here is logically required to demonstrate that Trump is beholden to donors.  Trump himself introduced that claim against his opponents.  Having done so, he is now logically required to demonstrate why the argument doesn't apply to him.  If it doesn't apply to him because "he's already rich and he doesn't need the money" then why does he still pursue personal income in his private business?  If he doesn't need money, why does he pursue it?  Whether he *needs* the money or not, he clearly *wants* it, because he continues to pursue it in private business.  So his wealth in no way makes him different from any other candidate who seeks funding for a political campaign.

"Hes [sic] their boss."  The people giving money to Trump work for Trump?  Can you provide some evidence to demonstrate that, or explain in exactly what sense Trump is their boss?  You stated earlier in this thread that those donors have their own reasons for donating to Trump.  What are those reasons, exactly?  What do they hope to achieve in providing the contribution?  Since Trump is "their boss", can he fire them if they don't donate?

Are you suggesting that every other candidate accepts contributions in exchange for political favors, while Trump extorts contributions because he's "their boss"?  That's not the kind of boss any of us want to work for, nor the kind of leader most of us want in The Oval Office.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2016, 02:48:06 pm »
No Logic does not so dictate. For one None of them were Billionaires who had their position already earned before they negotiated with the donors. So Money and Power were not what was the asset they could use to gain control.
As far as the others yes, They are Nothing without their donors, No political life, no office etc. Trump showed he could do it without their help. He does not need them but all the normal politicians do which is why the Donor class normally is the ones in power with the elected ones merely a figurehead who does what they are told. Its about who controls whom. Trump has the power position not the beggar position like the others.

Didya consult the handler team before posting that one?

Bottom line is if Trump didn't need the money, he wouldn't seek it. Reality is he needs the money, because he is not Mike Bloomberg. He'd have just done it already if he had the liquid assets, which he doesn't, like Mike Bloomberg.
The Republic is lost.