Author Topic: US seeking death penalty in Charleston church massacre case  (Read 610 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
US seeking death penalty in Charleston church massacre case

By ERIC TUCKER and MEG KINNARD
May. 24, 2016 6:21 PM EDT

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/c206747e2509467189dd9b1709d11659/us-seeking-death-penalty-charleston-church-massacre-case

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department intends to seek the death penalty against Dylann Roof, the man charged with killing nine black parishioners last year in a church in Charleston, South Carolina, Attorney General Loretta Lynch said Tuesday.

"The nature of the alleged crime and the resulting harm compelled this decision," Lynch said in a brief statement that said the department had considered "all relevant factual and legal issues."

Roof is awaiting trial on federal hate crime charges in connection with the June 17 shooting at Emanuel AME Church, which contributed to a national conversation about race relations and also led to the removal of a Confederate battle flag from the South Carolina Statehouse.

Roof is also charged with nine counts of murder in state court, and South Carolina prosecutors have already announced plans to seek the death penalty when he stands trial next year. Solicitor Scarlett Wilson has said she wants her case to be tried first.

excerpted

Offline musiclady

Re: US seeking death penalty in Charleston church massacre case
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:39:37 pm »
Ironic that the people who eschew the death penalty want it when it suits their cause.

I totally agree that this degenerate needs to be removed from the face of the earth, but find it fascinating that leftists who attack us for believing in capital punishment, are now espousing it.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 10:40:15 pm »
That is the appropriate punishment.

Absolutely.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 10:42:57 pm »
For some reason Nidal Hasan popped into my mind when  I read this.

Sentenced to death in 2013. Still breathing in 2016.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 10:58:04 pm »
For some reason Nidal Hasan popped into my mind when  I read this.

Sentenced to death in 2013. Still breathing in 2016.

Average time for death penalty sentace to be carried out is about 15 years or so.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 11:05:05 pm »
Average time for death penalty sentace to be carried out is about 15 years or so.

Though I am not a big supporter of the death penalty, nor of passing new laws, in this instance I would want a law to expedite death penalty on cop killers and murders of the military.

Offline Charlespg

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 12:40:25 am »
Ironic that the people who eschew the death penalty want it when it suits their cause.

I totally agree that this degenerate needs to be removed from the face of the earth, but find it fascinating that leftists who attack us for believing in capital punishment, are now espousing it.
same here
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 12:53:27 am »
The death penalty is wrong on moral, philosophical, and practical grounds. 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 12:56:17 am »
Feds seeking it.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 01:18:58 am »
musiclady wrote:
"Ironic that the people who eschew the death penalty want it when it suits their cause."

Nothing "ironic" about it at all.
This illustrates exactly how leftists think and act.

If this guy had been a muslim, they'd have called for 15 years, if that much.

If he'd been a black who killed nine whites, they'd claim "racism" was an aggravating circumstance and ask for less. Or suggest that racism had driven him crazy and that the verdict be not guilty by reason of insanity...

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 02:35:09 am »
musiclady wrote:
"Ironic that the people who eschew the death penalty want it when it suits their cause."

Nothing "ironic" about it at all.
This illustrates exactly how leftists think and act.

If this guy had been a muslim, they'd have called for 15 years, if that much.

If he'd been a black who killed nine whites, they'd claim "racism" was an aggravating circumstance and ask for less. Or suggest that racism had driven him crazy and that the verdict be not guilty by reason of insanity...

Ironic relative to truth, not relative to where liberals lie............. well outside of anything that is true......

Offline markomalley

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 03:18:01 pm »

Nothing ironic about it. Leftists would use the death penalty far more often if legislation could be passed to have more crimes that meet their criteria had the death penalty associated with them. Things like climate change denial, homophobia, etc. Look at the Freddie Gray trials going on... if it was up to the left, the officers would have been string up on light poles already (literally).

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 04:17:04 pm »
Nothing ironic about it. Leftists would use the death penalty far more often if legislation could be passed to have more crimes that meet their criteria had the death penalty associated with them. Things like climate change denial, homophobia, etc. Look at the Freddie Gray trials going on... if it was up to the left, the officers would have been string up on light poles already (literally).

See my post #11 - the irony is relative to truth, not relative to leftist ideology.  Nothing they say, do, or believe is related to truth.