Author Topic: VA secretary on Veteran Healthcare Wait Times: You don’t judge your experience at Disneyland based on the wait times, do you?  (Read 2000 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE:

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/05/23/va-secretary-you-dont-judge-your-experience-at-disneyland-based-on-the-wait-times-do-you/

by: AllahPundit

If there was a chance you’d die while in line for Space Mountain, I’m thinking you might.

People are wondering on Twitter how long it’ll be before the VA introduces a Fastpass+ program for vets.

Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert McDonald on Monday compared the length of time veterans wait to receive health care at the VA to the length of time people wait for rides at Disneyland, and said his agency shouldn’t use wait times as a measure of success because Disney doesn’t either.

“When you got to Disney, do they measure the number of hours you wait in line? Or what’s important? What’s important is, what’s your satisfaction with the experience?” McDonald said Monday during a Christian Science Monitor breakfast with reporters. “And what I would like to move to, eventually, is that kind of measure.”…

The VA secretary said most veterans report being satisfied with their care and argued that the average wait time for a veteran seeking VA treatment is only a matter of days.

Days, huh? That depends on how much you trust the VA’s record-keeping. A GAO report released last month found that three of the six VA centers they inspected claimed shorter wait times than vets had actually experienced in 25 percent of cases surveyed. The audit concluded that was due to inconsistent record-keeping, not deliberate manipulation, but the fact remains that the average wait was much longer than reported — not the four- to 28-day range that the VA claimed but 11-48 days. That’s not “days.” It’s weeks.

Repeat: Weeks.

Well, this is hitting close to home. My vet brother spent the last few weeks puking, has lost 20 pounds. VA can get him in 5 weeks from now

— Political Math (@politicalmath) May 23, 2016

Meanwhile, USA Today reported last month after reviewing dozens of investigation reports into VA practices that some facilities are deliberately manipulating their data on wait times to make it seem as though vets are being seen more quickly than they are. That sort of book-cooking was supposed to have ended after the VA scandal first broke in 2014. It hasn’t:

Employees at 40 VA medical facilities in 19 states and Puerto Rico regularly “zeroed out” veteran wait times, the analysis shows. In some cases, investigators found manipulation had been going on for as long as a decade. In others, it had been just a few years.

In many cases, facility leaders told investigators they clamped down the scheduling improprieties after the Phoenix scandal, but in others, investigators found they had continued unabated.The manipulation masked growing demand as new waves of veterans returned from wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and as Vietnam veterans aged and needed more health care…

The newly released findings of those probes show that supervisors instructed schedulers to manipulate wait times in Arkansas, California, Delaware, Illinois, New York, Texas and Vermont, giving the false impression facilities there were meeting VA performance measures for shorter wait times.

The Disneyland comment is the logical end point of VA futility in trying to reduce bureaucracy and admit veterans more quickly. If you can’t get wait times down after a decade of trying and a hellacious scandal in which vets died while awaiting treatment, what’s left except to start downplaying wait times entirely? Don’t focus on how long you waited. Focus on … how much fun you had in the CAT scan room, I guess?

Exit question: How do you separate wait times from “satisfaction with the experience” in the context of medical treatment?

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Disney land doens't provide healthcare so why should the VA? Logic just isn't this person's strong suite.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert McDonald on Monday compared the length of time veterans wait to receive health care at the VA to the length of time people wait for rides at Disneyland, and said his agency shouldn’t use wait times as a measure of success because Disney doesn’t either.

“When you got to Disney, do they measure the number of hours you wait in line? Or what’s important? What’s important is, what’s your satisfaction with the experience?” McDonald said Monday during a Christian Science Monitor breakfast with reporters. “And what I would like to move to, eventually, is that kind of measure.”…

What kind of idiot compares wait times at a VA hospital, where people are suffering (and dying), with wait times for rides at Disneyland?  The kind who is oblivious to the suffering, that kind.  Typical gummint bureaucrat.  There's a special place for this clown in Hell.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

rangerrebew

If the government had one ounce of concern for the medical care of vets, they would put themselves (all of them) on VA medical care for 2 years.  The changes would be so dramatic and wide ranging it would be hard to keep up with them all.  The crooks in congress wouldn't put up with that for long. **nononono*

Offline GrouchoTex

What kind of idiot compares wait times at a VA hospital, where people are suffering (and dying), with wait times for rides at Disneyland?  The kind who is oblivious to the suffering, that kind.  Typical gummint bureaucrat.  There's a special place for this clown in Hell.

At the very least, I'd demand his immediate resignation, but I wonder if that will happen in this administration?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
At the very least, I'd demand his immediate resignation, but I wonder if that will happen in this administration?

Resignation is too good for this dumbassery.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline GrouchoTex

Resignation is too good for this dumbassery.

I agree.
I wonder what will happen next?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I agree.

Good question.  Watching what comes next has become a cottage industry with Democrats.  Sometimes I marvel at their ability to form words.
I will NOT comply.

Offline bob434

[[VA secretary on Veteran Healthcare Wait Times: You don’t judge your experience at Disneyland based on the wait times, do you?]]

Oh... My... Word! Seriously? People waiting in a line to ride the rollercoaster are not dying, sick, or in need of medical care! With an attitude like that- this fella should be sued for possible criminal negligence if he allowed people to wait and they died while waiting-

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

I agree.
If they follow the Disney model they will raise rates if you want to be treated during peak hours. What a mickey mouse operation. Our vets deserve better.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline GrouchoTex

If they follow the Disney model they will raise rates if you want to be treated during peak hours. What a mickey mouse operation. Our vets deserve better.
I've always thought we should close the VA.
Let all vets go wherever they want.
Hospital, Doctor, swipes their card (drivers license, military I. D.?). And just bills The government.
It may be cheaper and more effective than the VA.
Any thought? Suggestion?

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

Hospital, Doctor, swipes their card (drivers license, military I. D.?). And just bills The government.
Any thought? Suggestion?
I think it would be better for the government to buy an actual gold plated, silver lined, covers everything, no deductible, insurance plan and run it through a private company. This would at least get the government simply shoveling their money into a private system to pay for care, not under control of the care itself.

Otherwise yoursuggestion sounds like a trial baloon for "single payer" government health care for everybody. And if it isn't, it could end up being like the CHIPS program was where no doctor would ever take the card and your government coverage was worthless.

Offline GrouchoTex

I think it would be better for the government to buy an actual gold plated, silver lined, covers everything, no deductible, insurance plan and run it through a private company. This would at least get the government simply shoveling their money into a private system to pay for care, not under control of the care itself.

Otherwise your suggestion sounds like a trial balloon for "single payer" government health care for everybody. And if it isn't, it could end up being like the CHIPS program was where no doctor would ever take the card and your government coverage was worthless.

You're right, could be a slippery slop to single payer.
If you cover X why not cover Y?, etc.. good point.
I like your suggestion to run it through a private insurer.

geronl

You know we live in La La land that this fool wasn't forced to resign out of shame

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Any thought? Suggestion?

Oh no. That would cut out a bunch of plush government administrative jobs.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GrouchoTex

Oh no. That would cut out a bunch of plush government administrative jobs.

LOL, yeah, we can't have that!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
LOL, yeah, we can't have that!

No way! The people who hold those jobs all reliably vote democrat!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline markomalley

Leaving aside the conflation between health care and entertainment....

The wait time for rides is definitely a criterion when judging an amusement park. It absolutely is!

Offline bob434

for some reason this meeting seems like a scene out of dumb and dumber- can't quite put my finger on why though- if only a bottle of 'Turbo-Lax' were involved-

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Oceander

Actually, I do.  And Disney realizes this, which is why it allows visitors to get a limited number of passes that will allow them to jump the line on a few rides each day.