Author Topic: Why Donald Trump might actually believe all the crazy stuff he says  (Read 1318 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://theweek.com/articles/625352/why-donald-trump-might-actually-believe-all-crazy-stuff-says?utm_source=links&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=twitter

Why Donald Trump might actually believe all the crazy stuff he says

Pascal-Emmanuel Gobry

May 23, 2016

When it comes to Donald Trump, one thing is certain: He lies. He lies constantly. He lies when it suits him, but also when it hurts him. He lies here or there. He lies anywhere. He would lie in a house, he would lie to a mouse. He would lie in a box, he would lie to a fox.

Many have commented on this compulsive trait, and his seeming lack of a core. Usually, when people lie, it is to hide their true self or true views; but with Trump, there simply doesn't seem to be any truth there at all. We lie to protect something, he lies because there's nothing to protect. It reminds me of the famous quote from Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho: "...there is an idea of a Patrick Bateman, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there."

What this means for political analysis of Trump is that it is widely assumed that he doesn't mean any of his campaign rhetoric or any of his promises.

Even though Trump has said everything and anything, a few clear themes have managed to emerge from his campaign thus far: The rejection of immigration, naked appeals to white identity politics, protectionism, and contempt for elites are all part of the familiar mix of American politics, under the heading of "populism." The impression is that Trump, as a businessman, saw a business opportunity and seized it, and gave the people what they wanted. But if he'd had a better path to political power by running on a moderate platform, he would have done that.

Indeed, he has encouraged that impression, calling his positions — like building a wall to keep out immigrants — mere "suggestions," or even saying one thing and the opposite thing at the same time, like when he proclaimed that America has too many immigrants and offering as a policy option a "touchback amnesty" program that would leave America with the same number of immigrants.

He has even all but said during the primary that he would "pivot" to a different set of positions during the general election. But what if that was the lie? After all, Trump has done nothing but double down on perhaps his most inflammatory and divisive promise: a ban on Muslims entering the United States.

For much of his public career, Trump posed not as a reactionary nationalist, but as a chapter-and-verse-reciting devotee of the milquetoast neoliberalism and lifestyle libertinism of New York's plutocratic class, a positioning that surely helped him with the political connections he needed to develop all that real estate in Democratic-dominated jurisdictions. And since those are the views he's proclaimed for most of his life, the "default" views of his milieu, everyone seems to assume that if he has any substantive views, that's probably what they are. But what if instead the Donald Trump we've seen this primary season is the real Donald Trump?

The Trump campaign's internal motto has been "Let Trump be Trump." What if the con is to make us all believe it's a con?

Why do I think that's a possibility? Let's look at the hints, starting with the company Donald Trump keeps.

Fred Trump, Donald's father, whom he idolized his entire life, has been tied to the KKK. Donald's longtime butler recently made some strongly racist rants against Barack Obama. Do we really think Trump didn't know about his butler's views? This paints a picture of a Trump whose views are aligned much more closely with those of his white supremacist supporter, David Duke, than he'd like us to believe.

Then there's Trump's long track record of praising authoritarian governments. He praised Putin recently, and in a 1990 Playboy interview, he praised the government of China over its Tiananmen crackdown. He also praised North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un. Trump speaks as someone who plainly believes that the best form of government is authoritarian government, and the best regime is one where there is a Putin-like (or Trump-like) guy in charge.

And finally, there's the total absence of the promised general election pivot. Instead of moderating his positions, of trying to walk them back, of issuing big speeches on various topics where he could stake out more moderate positions, he has been doubling down on the same rhetoric.

Donald Trump's entire worldview, as can be determined from his entire life and public record, is pretty much of one thing: the worship of strength. Hence the obsession with status, wealth, and fame. Hence the misogyny, the racism, and the bullying.

Of course, the worship of strength is what fascism is all about. The Nazis touted "the triumph of the will." Aryans are strong, they said, and therefore had the right and the duty to dominate the world. Everyone else, including Jews, gypsies, gays, the handicapped, are weak and must be eliminated.

I would argue that Trump's constant lying is itself evidence of his deeply-held fascism. When you worship strength and domination, you are liable, as Pilate, to ask "What is truth?" Truth, in Trump's eyes, is but a tool. Or, as Mussolini put it, "If relativism signifies contempt for fixed categories and those who claim to be the bearers of objective immortal truth, then there is nothing more relativistic than Fascist attitudes and activity. From the fact that all ideologies are of equal value, we Fascists conclude that we have the right to create our own ideology and to enforce it with all the energy of which we are capable."

Trump isn't an idiot. Nor is he completely opportunistic. Instead, beyond all the smoke and mirrors, he's a man with a very explicit worldview — and he's a man with a plan.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Suppressed

I think there's a large chance this possibility is right.

But populism and neoliberalism overlap, in troublesome ways.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Trump isn't an idiot. Nor is he completely opportunistic. Instead, beyond all the smoke and mirrors, he's a man with a very explicit worldview — and he's a man with a plan.
This.

Trump is the extreme version of the "alpha male," a man who must be at the top of everything he does. To do so, he will do anything to achieve his goals, no matter how unethical. These people are extremely dangerous.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
This.

Trump is the extreme version of the "alpha male," a man who must be at the top of everything he does. To do so, he will do anything to achieve his goals, no matter how unethical. These people are extremely dangerous.

He's the political version of Charlie Sheen and his "winning" obsession.

Offline ConstitutionRose

He's the political version of Charlie Sheen and his "winning" obsession.

blij26

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 05:49:54 pm by ConstitutionRose »
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Mechanicos

To #neverTrumpers, closing the border, stopping ISIS from coming in, making us a manufacturing country again, getting respect back, and raising the standard of living with good jobs is crazy. Very Telling...
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline andy58-in-nh

To #neverTrumpers, closing the border, stopping ISIS from coming in, making us a manufacturing country again, getting respect back, and raising the standard of living with good jobs is crazy. Very Telling...

Nice field of Straw Men you've got there. Obama would be impressed.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It has nothing to do with his platform.

It is his method: cheating, threats, punishment of those who dare cross him. We even have it here on this board, with the Trump brigade promising to "remember" those of us who dare speak our minds on him and make sure we are never relevant again. One of them told us he hopes we "drop dead."

Donald Trump is a tyrant in waiting. the likes of which this country has never seen. Of course he promises great (but, I hate to tell you, impossible) things: it's just a scheme for him to get into power.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
This.

I've seen people on TOS compare Trump to John Wayne and other true Alpha male types. I just don't see how the pudgy orange guy can be Alpha Male on anybody’s list. If he were so insistent at being the best his whole line of Trump-way products would still be around.

I think he's just a big gasbag with an titantic Ego.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

One word- Negotiable.

No intention on following through with any of the rhetoric he claimed to get the sheeple behind him.  He is backtracking.

You would have to be nuts to believe he is interested in employing Americans.  He doesn't do business like that.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:13:03 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online roamer_1

I think he's just a big gasbag with an titantic Ego.

Yeah... But I guess that's as close as city folks ever get... The metro-sexual ideal can get no closer to the real thing.

Offline Mechanicos

One word- Negotiable.

No intention on following through with any of the rhetoric he claimed to get the sheeple behind him.  He is backtracking.

You would have to be nuts to believe he is interested in employing Americans.  He doesn't do business like that.
A couple fundamental problems with this #neverTrump narrative. If Trump was the Slime ball as painted there would be THOUSANDS of people, past employees, co-workers, ex-wives, competitors past clients etc that would be all over the news confirming it. Yet, the exact opposite is what they say. There are extremely few exceptions to this of-knowledge reputation.  People who have been close to him, hundreds so far, say such things like hes honorable, a man of his word, is respected, etc. So hes either the greatest con-man in the history of the world who has been that way his entire life and fooled all those thousands close to him for decades. OR the the more likely explanation is Political opposition created a phoney narrative during a political race.

Trump is honest with you when he says he will negotiate. That's called real world. We do not live in a dictatorship - yet. There is massive opposition to his proposed plans. He cannot wave a wand and make them happen but has to get other people on board. They are going to want something just like everybody else does when making a deal. The #neverTrump narrative presumes 2 things not supported by Trump's past history. They hes an incompetent negotiator and that hes a Slime ball who does not mean what he says. Both are not supported by the mans history and the people who know him from actual knowledge.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline elhombrelibre

He's been disloyal to his wives, his business partners, his girlfriends, and the students at the bogus Trump University.  Other than that he's a stand up guy. 

Offline Mechanicos

He's been disloyal to his wives, his business partners, his girlfriends, and the students at the bogus Trump University.  Other than that he's a stand up guy.
So you got a half dozen out of thousands and the school thing is not over, just a claim made during an election season. Yeah even his ex wives do not say hes disloyal or hate him. Only sinless man I know of was crucified. Red State Propaganda talking points are so pathetic.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Not crazy.  Fascism.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Mechanicos

Not crazy.  Fascism.
Calling it Fascism is the crazy talk.

Offline elhombrelibre

So you got a half dozen out of thousands and the school thing is not over, just a claim made during an election season. Yeah even his ex wives do not say hes disloyal or hate him. Only sinless man I know of was crucified. Red State Propaganda talking points are so pathetic.
Did you graduate from Trump University?

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
You could say the same things about Bill and Hillary.

Nobody's perfect, well let's cut to the chase: El Chapo/ Madoff 2016!
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline elhombrelibre

You could say the same things about Bill and Hillary.

Nobody's perfect, well let's cut to the chase: El Chapo/ Madoff 2016!

What Trump's supporters really mean is they're okay with scoundrels as long as they're fellow partisan ones. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Calling it Fascism is the crazy talk.

Robert Kagan is hardly crazy.  This is how Fascism comes to America

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide