Author Topic: Romney Ends Recruiting for Third-Party Candidate to Challenge Trump  (Read 1051 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=729469

Newsmax
Romney Ends Recruiting for Third-Party Candidate to Challenge Trump
Wednesday, May 18, 2016 02:55 PM

By: Cathy Burke

Mitt Romney is no longer trying to recruit a third-party candidate to challenge Republican presumptive presidential nominee Donald Trump, Yahoo News reports.

The news site, quoting an unnamed source, reports Wednesday the former Massachusetts governor and 2012 GOP nominee remains "motivated to help the 'stop Trump' cause," but is not calling or emailing any people still considering a run.

A few potential candidates remain, but none are currently "live prospects," Yahoo news reports, quoting the source.

"He thinks someone should run. That's his role. That's the beginning and end of it," an unnamed Romney adviser tells the site. "Is he organizing it? No. But he has talked to people who have thought about it."

According to Yahoo News, the effort to persuade Romney himself to launch a bid "never went anywhere seriously this year for the same reasons others do not want to run: Any independent candidate would almost certainly be blamed for electing [Hillary] Clinton."

"Those close to Romney did not want to be responsible for laying that burden on his shoulders," Yahoo News reports.

According to the news site, Romney's high-profile speech in March condemning Trump as "a phony" and "a fraud" who was "playing the American public for suckers" was prompted, in part at least, by the real estate billionaire's February interview with CNN in which he claimed he didn't know who white supremacist David Duke was and declined to reject political support from him and the Ku Klux Klan.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Norm Lenhart

http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=729469

Newsmax
Romney Ends Recruiting for Third-Party Candidate to Challenge Trump
Wednesday, May 18, 2016 02:55 PM

Before it's over, the GOP will end up making a 'deal' to run Romney as Trump's VP in  exchange for their support just as they did with Reagan/Bush. I'll be very shocked if I'm wrong, and I could be... but regardless, Romney isn't done folks. I've said it for years now and he just keeps popping up over and over proving me right.

He is NOT done.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/18/politics/mitt-romney-never-trump-independent-2016-campaign/

Washington (CNN) — Mitt Romney won't launch a third-party presidential campaign of his own and has stopped trying to recruit somebody else to do it.

The 2012 Republican nominee had attempted to recruit a challenger to Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. But prospects like Nebraska Sen. Ben Sasse said no, and Romney is now dropping his efforts, a source familiar with Romney's thinking told CNN. The news was first reported by Yahoo News.

It's the latest blow to the "Never Trump" movement -- a group of conservatives led by Romney, blogger Erick Erickson and The Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol -- to find an alternative to Trump.

Romney still hopes a candidate will emerge. But an adviser to the "Never Trump" efforts confirmed Tuesday night that the efforts are looking grim.

Part of the challenge, a key "Never Trump" official said, is that prospective candidates need to hear a campaign plan that involves money, staffing, viability, key states to target and a plan to get onto the presidential debate stages.

But the people making the pitches, the official said, "aren't campaign managers. They're writers, activists and politicians. You need someone to say, 'this is how I'd make this real.' The odds remain low."

A list of prospects that include Sasse, Romney, former Marine Gen. James Mattis, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and Ohio Gov. John Kasich have all publicly said they're not willing to launch campaigns at this stage.

Romney had been heavily involved in the recruiting efforts. He encouraged Sasse, the freshman Nebraska Republican, to run -- but Sasse, who has three small children, said he's not in a position to consider it.

Meanwhile, GOP officials are maneuvering to shut down talk of an independent candidate.

Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus said Sunday that a third-party bid would be a "suicide mission."

"They can try to hijack another party and get on the ballot, but, look, it's a suicide mission for our country because what it means is that you're throwing down not just eight years of the White House but potentially 100 years on the Supreme Court and wrecking this country for many generations," Priebus said on "Fox News Sunday," anticipating that a conservative third-party candidate would split the Republican vote and ensure a Democrat wins the White House.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Right_in_Virginia

Before it's over, the GOP will end up making a 'deal' to run Romney as Trump's VP in  exchange for their support just as they did with Reagan/Bush. I'll be very shocked if I'm wrong, and I could be... but regardless, Romney isn't done folks. I've said it for years now and he just keeps popping up over and over proving me right.

He is NOT done.

Nah...I think he is done.  He would bring nothing to the Trump ticket.  Nothing.  He's done.

Offline Norm Lenhart

Nah...I think he is done.  He would bring nothing to the Trump ticket.  Nothing.  He's done.

I'd like to believe that. However I have had people tell me for 4 years that he's done and not a week goes by that he does not pop up doing his damndest to torpedo this country. He is the GOP's golden boy and there are plenty of Romneybots already looking to get revenge for their loss in 12.

He appeals to the pro amnesty crowd, he appeals to the pro abortion crowd and he would counter (in word only) the supposed hardline positions of Trump. I don't believe Trump is an Iota different than Romney but that's not the point. The point being that people believe perception is reality. So if they perceive a balanced ticket, thats a plus when the goal is simply to win.

Online Right_in_Virginia

I'd like to believe that. However I have had people tell me for 4 years that he's done and not a week goes by that he does not pop up doing his damndest to torpedo this country. He is the GOP's golden boy and there are plenty of Romneybots already looking to get revenge for their loss in 12.

Except this is now Donald Trump's GOP.   :shrug:

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

He is NOT done.

He may not be done with politics, but he's done for 2016. Romney running with Trump would be a bigger mistake than Romney choosing Ryan as his VP.  Either Kasich or Christie will wind up as Trump's VP.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:47:55 am by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Norm Lenhart

Except this is now Donald Trump's GOP.   :shrug:

For the sake of discussion. lets assume DT gets the nod and wins and that he's the outsider he claims to be.

Do you think for a moment he will control the people there who are against him? And that is most of them. They have had their 'plan' too long to let some guy come in and bark orders contrary to their agenda.

Trump is all but powerless against the other two branches unless he governs like Obama. And if he suddenly governs like Obama, they will suddenly rediscover the idea of separation of powers.

Reagan spent 8 years dealing with the GBush wing of the party. Trump would have a far more ideological and united group of Uniparty in both branches to contend with.

Offline Norm Lenhart

He may not be done with politics, but he's done for 2016. Romney running with Trump would be a bigger mistake than Romney choosing Ryan as his VP.

Isn't that the hallmark of the GOP? Huge mistakes for political purposes?

Online Right_in_Virginia

For the sake of discussion. lets assume DT gets the nod and wins and that he's the outsider he claims to be.

Do you think for a moment he will control the people there who are against him? And that is most of them. They have had their 'plan' too long to let some guy come in and bark orders contrary to their agenda.

If you're saying that Trump needs to pay attention to whatever Romney's plan is ... I say, sorry, but no.

Romney has no power.  Republicans know Romney "choked like a dog" in 2012.  No one wants him--even those who were good soldiers and voted for him.  No one needs him--he brings nothing to the policy table.  If he had, he would have had more support.  And quite obviously, no one listens to him.

Thank you Romney for --- whatever.  Now go home.   We are moving on. 

Offline Norm Lenhart

If you're saying that Trump needs to pay attention to whatever Romney's plan is ... I say, sorry, but no.

Romney has no power.  Republicans know Romney "choked like a dog" in 2012.  No one wants him--even those who were good soldiers and voted for him.  No one needs him--he brings nothing to the policy table.  If he had, he would have had more support.  And quite obviously, no one listens to him.

If romney had no power, why does this article even exist? Why did the GOP call on him to front their agends since 12 in so many TV/Net/Print articles? Why did the GOP put him out there as the 'alternative? I read several articles in the last couple months alone with 'speculation' over will he/won't he' before Cruz suspended.

Now by any objective measure that is a guy the GOP feels powerful enough to trial balloon so often and in so many different guises.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

Here we go again, blaming Romney even though he turned out to be right on just about everything. Did it ever occur to you that the GOP is actually outnumbered? What could Romney have possibly done to have won that election?

I mean, you had Chris Christie, who was supposed to be one of Romney's closest allies, getting buddy-buddy with Obama right after the hurricane. Christie handed that election to Obama. There wasn't much of anything that Romney could have done to stop that.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Norm Lenhart

Here we go again, blaming Romney even though he turned out to be right on just about everything. Did it ever occur to you that the GOP is actually outnumbered? What could Romney have possibly done to have won that election?

I mean, you had Chris Christie, who was supposed to be one of Romney's closest allies, getting buddy-buddy with Obama right after the hurricane. Christie handed that election to Obama. There wasn't much of anything that Romney could have done to stop that.

Romney could have done nothing to have won it because he was the liberal we warned people about and warned was a loser for a candidate.

Aside from his 47% comment, I would love to see what he was right about. He disavowed his entire campaign's positions less than 24 hours after the Great Fail.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Ah, sweetie....I'm not going to debate 2012.  Not again.  Geeze.

My only point regarding Romney is that his time is over.  Thank you.  Now go home. 

That's it.  Go home.  Enjoy your life and that big, beautiful family.  We are moving on.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 01:41:36 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Fantom

Ah, sweetie....I'm not going to debate 2012.  Not again.  Geeze.

My only point regarding Romney is that his time is over.  Thank you.  Now go home. 

That's it.  Go home.  Enjoy your life and that big, beautiful family.  We are moving on.

Man, if there was any more reason for a Conservative to vote for Hillary... it would be a "Wrong_in_Virginia" post.

How to win friends....so not.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline sinkspur

Man, if there was any more reason for a Conservative to vote for Hillary... it would be a "Wrong_in_Virginia" post.

How to win friends....so not.

She's smug and full of hubris.   Doesn't realize she's alienating #NeverTrumps even more. 

Just can't help herself.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Fantom

She's smug and full of hubris.   Doesn't realize she's alienating #NeverTrumps even more. 

Just can't help herself.

I hear that.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

Romney was right.  IMHO what sunk Romney's ship is he was too accommodating and was warned he needed to be more moderate in order to win. He was also warned not to step outside the boundaries that would make him appear not politically correct and certainly he should have gone after Obama with both barrels and didn't.  He flip-flopped a couple of times on the 2nd Amendment which really hurt him. That has always been the downside for me with Romney, though I voted for him as he definitely would have been much better than Obama.  Romney has some integrity, charisma, is presidential and has knowledge of both the function of government and the Constitution.  He is worlds apart from Trump, I'd vote for him again and I still will not and can not vote for Trump.  I think Romney would be a fool to be Trump's VP; especially since he's made a 3rd party an issue.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.