Author Topic: White Nationalists See Advancement Through Donald Trump’s Candidacy  (Read 5512 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://www.wsj.com/articles/white-nationalists-see-advancement-through-donald-trumps-candidacy-1463523858

White Nationalists See Advancement Through Donald Trump’s Candidacy

Presumptive Republican nominee’s campaign has disavowed support of supremacist groups

By BETH REINHARD
Updated May 17, 2016 6:29 p.m. ET

White nationalists are hailing Donald Trump’s elevation to presumptive Republican presidential nominee, while also trying to boost their own political profiles and activity.

Although Mr. Trump has spurned these extreme groups’ support, the level of interest within them for the White House candidate rivals that for segregationist George Wallace, who won five states in the 1968 election, and for conservative Republican Pat Buchanan, who denounced multiculturalism in the 1990s.

Mr. Trump is being heralded by these groups for his proposals to bar Muslim immigrants, deport millions of people living illegally in the U.S., and build a wall along the southern border.

“White men in America and across the planet are partying like it’s 1999 following Trump’s decisive victory over the evil enemies of our race,” wrote Holocaust denier Andrew Anglin, who calls Mr. Trump “the Glorious Leader” on his Daily Stormer website, after the candidate all but sewed up the GOP nomination on May 3.

While his policy prescriptions proved popular with GOP primary voters, Mr. Trump is now the presumptive nominee of a party that has struggled in recent presidential elections to expand its appeal beyond white voters. At the same time, his hard-line immigration policy and high profile are big lures for extreme groups seeking to elevate their status and views.

Campaign spokeswoman Hope Hicks said Mr. Trump “has disavowed and will continue to disavow the support of any such groups associated with a message of hate.”

The businessman isn’t the only candidate who has attracted white supremacists.

Ku Klux Klan leader  Will Quigg of California, who last year backed Mr. Trump on Twitter, told the Telegraph newspaper in March that he wants Democrat Hillary Clinton to win. The Clinton campaign rejected that support.

Last year, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz brushed off donations to his presidential campaign from Earl Holt III, leader of a white supremacist group that authorities allege was cited as an inspiration by Dylann Roof, the man charged with killing nine people at a historically black church in Charleston, S.C., in June 2015. The campaign said it refunded $2,300 to Mr. Holt and sent $2,700 as a donation to a fund set up for the families of the church-shooting victims.

It also isn’t the first time the KKK tried to align with a nominee in the modern era. Klan leaders in 1984 tried to throw their support publicly to President Ronald Reagan, who rebuffed their overtures.

Mr. Trump earlier this year drew criticism for his hesitation to disavow the support of David Duke, a former KKK leader and former state representative from Louisiana. But earlier this month, after Mr. Duke described Mr. Trump’s success as overcoming “these Jewish supremacists who control our country,” Mr. Trump said, “Anti-Semitism has no place in our society, which needs to be united not divided.”

He also returned a $250 contribution in February from white nationalist leader William Johnson, whom the campaign listed among its California GOP convention delegates before striking him from the list last week.

Mr. Trump’s rejections have failed to deter support from leaders of what civil-rights groups label “right-wing hate groups.”

These groups’ websites, radio shows and podcasts are filled with praise for Mr. Trump’s views on immigration, appeals to vote for him and calls to volunteer for his campaign. Some white nationalist leaders have boasted online about attending his rallies, either as supporters or as journalists, and say the traffic on their websites is increasing since the rise of Mr. Trump.

“Trump’s candidacy has absolutely electrified the radical right,” said Mark Potok, a senior fellow at the Southern Poverty Law Center, a civil-rights organization that tracks extremist groups.

How Donald Trump Happened

A look at the demographics behind his supporters

People who identify as white nationalists, white-rights advocates or race realists say that even if Mr. Trump’s views don’t exactly line up with their own, they appreciate his willingness to speak his mind, regardless of the backlash.

“The main reason white nationalists support Donald Trump is that he is the real deal,” said Mr. Johnson, the rejected California delegate. “I speak from the heart and so does he.”

Attendance at this coming weekend’s annual conference hosted by American Renaissance, which publishes a website on topics including eugenics and alleged IQ differences between races, is expected to double to 300 people, said editor Jared Taylor, in part because of Mr. Trump’s success.

“Donald Trump says what millions of Americans have thought for years—and is much too popular to be silenced,” reads a notice about the event near Nashville, Tenn., that is described as a “celebration of our world brotherhood of Europeans.’’

Mr. Taylor did a robocall earlier this year before the primaries in Iowa and New Hampshire in which he said: “We don’t need Muslims. We need smart, well-educated white people who will assimilate to our culture. Vote Trump.” The call was funded by an outside group and not approved by the Trump campaign.

Exit polls show large majorities of Republican primary and caucus voters agree with Mr. Trump’s plan to ban Muslim immigrants, at least temporarily. Mr. Trump has said the ban is necessary to prevent terrorist attacks because the process of screening immigrants is inadequate.

“It’s very encouraging when someone of the prominence of the Republican presumptive nominee says some of the same things we’ve been saying for years,” Mr. Taylor said. “Who needs Muslims? Who needs Mexicans? Once you ask those questions, you think, ‘Who needs Haitians?’ Mr. Trump is reacting in an almost visceral way to the idea of whites becoming a minority.”

Mr. Trump’s allies say he can’t control who backs him, and he is wary of drawing more attention to their rhetoric, said the Rev. Darrell Scott, a black pastor in Cleveland and the chief executive of the National Diversity Coalition for Trump, a multiracial, multiethnic group of supporters.

“I don’t think he wants to make an issue of white supremacists,” Mr. Scott said. “Any radical element of society that says they like Trump gets the opportunity for media coverage, and he doesn’t want to magnify that.”

Civil-rights groups say Mr. Trump, despite his disavowals, has sent signals to people who hold racist views. His posture toward immigrants also has been repudiated by many leaders in his own party.

“White supremacists and white nationalists have been marginalized in our political discourse, but Trump’s campaign is bringing them out of the woodwork and making it easier for them say certain things,” said Peter Montgomery, senior fellow at the People for the American Way, a liberal group.

In his campaign announcement speech in June 2015, Mr. Trump said some Mexican immigrants are rapists and drug dealers. He said he would consider shutting down mosques to prevent terrorist attacks, and he backed a “deportation force” such as the one used by the Eisenhower administration to round up illegal Mexican immigrants and send them back across the border.

With millions of followers on Twitter, Mr. Trump has retweeted encouragement from white supremacists, as well as faulty crime statistics that suggest the vast majority of murders of white people are committed by blacks. Earlier this month, he told NBC News that Germany is “crime-riddled” because of Muslim immigrants. Mr. Trump didn’t offer evidence to back up these claims. According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the vast majority of murders of white people are committed by other white people. German newspapers have reported that government statistics show the increase in migrants hasn’t been accompanied by a proportionate increase in crime.

In February, the Anti-Defamation League sent a list of 11 “racist individuals and extremists groups” to all of the Democrats and Republicans running for president, urging them to steer clear. All of those on the list had expressed support for Mr. Trump.

“We’ve seen him use blistering attacks against his opponents but we haven’t seen him use the same level of force and clarity against these racists and anti-Semites,” said Jonathan Greenblatt, the ADL’s national director. “As the GOP nominee he absolutely needs to do more.”
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

“We’ve seen him use blistering attacks against his opponents but we haven’t seen him use the same level of force and clarity against these racists and anti-Semites,” said Jonathan Greenblatt, the ADL’s national director. “As the GOP nominee he absolutely needs to do more.”

Trump needs white male votes cuz he's sucking hind teat in every other demographic. 

Maybe they like him because he's going to lower the capital gains tax.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:43:26 am by sinkspur »

Offline DiogenesLamp

Oh come on!   We don't need this sort of smear campaign against Trump.   

I am a Cruz supporter,  and I think the Trump campaign did him very dirty,   but it is not going to help us to try and take out Trump with a smear campaign.   

And it's unethical. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Norm Lenhart

Oh come on!   We don't need this sort of smear campaign against Trump.   

I am a Cruz supporter,  and I think the Trump campaign did him very dirty,   but it is not going to help us to try and take out Trump with a smear campaign.   

And it's unethical.

Except white nationalist/klanner types do. They are on record and have been for months.

That said, they are a handful of people and won't impact anything. I can't stand Trump and even I don't think he's stupid enough to encourage klanners intentionally.

Offline DiogenesLamp

Except white nationalist/klanner types do. They are on record and have been for months.

That said, they are a handful of people and won't impact anything. I can't stand Trump and even I don't think he's stupid enough to encourage klanners intentionally.

It isn't him i'm worried about.   It's the rumor mongering by people who hate a particular candidate.   I saw what they did to Cruz and it wasn't right.    Spreading this rumor is little different from Trump spreading the rumor about Cruz's father and Oswald.   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline sinkspur

It isn't him i'm worried about.   It's the rumor mongering by people who hate a particular candidate.   I saw what they did to Cruz and it wasn't right.    Spreading this rumor is little different from Trump spreading the rumor about Cruz's father and Oswald.

Rumor?  Hell, Trump wouldn't disavow David Duke or the Klan in a nationally televised interview with Jake Tapper.  Acted like he didn't know who Duke was and said he had to "investigate these groups." 

Investigate the Klan? Oh, that's right. His dad was arrested at a Klan rally in 1927.  No wonder Trump has a problem slamming the Klan.

Offline Norm Lenhart

Its a fact that Klanners love the guy. They RECRUIT based on what they believe he will do. I'm not saying he actively WANTS that help. But it isn't a smear.

On the other hand, I don't really care what smears befall him after what he did to Cruz. Sow/Reap/play with fire/get burned/die by the sword etc.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Nice to see that this thread has been unlocked.  Weird to see a Wall Street Journal article locked in the first place...I guess some Trump supporters are embarrassed by skinhead love for Trump.

A-Lert

You didn't read the article, did you?

Ku Klux Klan leader  Will Quigg of California, who last year backed Mr. Trump on Twitter, told the Telegraph newspaper in March that he wants Democrat Hillary Clinton to win. The Clinton campaign rejected that support.

Last year, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz brushed off donations to his presidential campaign from Earl Holt III, leader of a white supremacist group that authorities allege was cited as an inspiration by Dylann Roof, the man charged with killing nine people at a historically black church in Charleston, S.C., in June 2015. The campaign said it refunded $2,300 to Mr. Holt and sent $2,700 as a donation to a fund set up for the families of the church-shooting victims.

It also isn’t the first time the KKK tried to align with a nominee in the modern era. Klan leaders in 1984 tried to throw their support publicly to President Ronald Reagan, who rebuffed their overtures.

A-Lert

Nice to see that this thread has been unlocked.  Weird to see a Wall Street Journal article locked in the first place...I guess some Trump supporters are embarrassed by skinhead love for Trump.

88finger point

Offline markomalley

This is rather comical.

Of more interest though is the unwavering support given to Trump by the likes Alex Jones. Surprised that the media isn't all over that. Maybe it's just a matter of time.

Offline Norm Lenhart

You didn't read the article, did you?

Still waiting to see your point.

A-Lert

Still waiting to see your point.

You posted; "Its a fact that Klanners love the guy. They RECRUIT based on what they believe he will do"

Then I guess "Klanners" must love Hillary, Ted Cruz and Ronald Reagan.  From the article;

Offline Norm Lenhart

You posted; "Its a fact that Klanners love the guy. They RECRUIT based on what they believe he will do"

Then I guess "Klanners" must love Hillary, Ted Cruz and Ronald Reagan.  From the article;

Is there some reason that you always bring up Reagan from the left? Why do you hate Reagan so obviously and openly? And if you can show me where Reagan or Cruz ever declined to disavow any Klanner support once shown, please do. Donald, however, dodged the issue rather openly.

Still waiting to see your point. I have to assume you don't have one and rack this up to another of your ongoing series of Trump excuses.

A-Lert

Is there some reason that you always bring up Reagan from the left? Why do you hate Reagan so obviously and openly? And if you can show me where Reagan or Cruz ever declined to disavow any Klanner support once shown, please do. Donald, however, dodged the issue rather openly.

Still waiting to see your point. I have to assume you don't have one and rack this up to another of your ongoing series of Trump excuses.

No one has control over who supports them. That you are blind to the fact is obvious.

Offline Norm Lenhart

No one has control over who supports them. That you are blind to the fact is obvious.

You might want to reread my original comment. Because in your zeal to defend the guy that you support, you rather obviously missed my entire point.

A-Lert

Is there some reason that you always bring up Reagan from the left? Why do you hate Reagan so obviously and openly?

I didn't bring up Reagan. Had you read the posted article, you'd see he was part of it. I liked Reagan. He's the last GOP candidate with sense enough to realize a political party can't grow or gain support through subtraction. It amazes me that so many who claim to admire Reagan know so little about him.

Offline Norm Lenhart

I didn't bring up Reagan. Had you read the posted article, you'd see he was part of it. I liked Reagan. He's the last GOP candidate with sense enough to realize a political party can't grow or gain support through subtraction. It amazes me that so many who claim to admire Reagan know so little about him.

"Then I guess "Klanners" must love Hillary, Ted Cruz and Ronald Reagan."

I'll assume a short term memory loss on your part and not a wilful and outright lie to distract from getting caught. Allow me to repaste so it sinks in a bit

Once more in case you missed it

A-Lert

I'll assume a short term memory loss on your part and not a wilful and outright lie to distract from getting caught. Allow me to repaste so it sinks in a bit

Once more in case you missed it

Your word was "klanners". Cruz, Hillary and Reagan are all part of the article. You didn't read it and now you're just dancing on a pinhead.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I highly recommend putting Alert on ignore.  Arguing with him is only self gratifying.

Offline Norm Lenhart

I highly recommend putting Alert on ignore.  Arguing with him is only self gratifying.

I'm considering it. I wouldn't call it arguing though. That implies two people debating and not one stating facts and the other randomly fantasizing ;)

Offline sinkspur

Your word was "klanners". Cruz, Hillary and Reagan are all part of the article. You didn't read it and now you're just dancing on a pinhead.

Why, yes he is.  You've swerved into the truth.

A-Lert

I'm considering it. I wouldn't call it arguing though. That implies two people debating and not one stating facts and the other randomly fantasizing ;)

Awwww, poor thing, can't handle a difference of opinion? Not unexpected from a Freeper.  :silly:

Offline Norm Lenhart

Awwww, poor thing, can't handle a difference of opinion? Not unexpected from a Freeper.  :silly:

That's the thing. You don't have an opinion. You have vowel movements. there's not a lot of point in me interacting with someone engaged in magical thinking. I mean lets face facts. You are one of a small group here that simply emote to any negative comment over Trump. There surely must be a reason so many vets here tell us newbs to put you on ignore. But I have yet to see a single person outside your group call for any of us to get the ignore button. Why do you suppose that is?

Not even liked on your native site? Not something I'd be proud of.

PS, what does being an ex freeper have to do with it?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 04:20:27 am by Norm Lenhart »

A-Lert

That's the thing. You don't have an opinion. You have vowel movements. there's not a lot of point in me interacting with someone engaged in magical thinking. I mean lets face facts. You are one of a small group here that simply emote to any negative comment over Trump. There surely must be a reason so many vets here tell us newbs to put you on ignore. But I have yet to see a single person outside your group call for any of us to get the ignore button. Why do you suppose that is?

Not even liked on your native site? Not something I'd be proud of.

PS, what does being an ex freeper have to do with it?

What's magical? Fact; Trump won a record number of GOP primary votes. Fact; Trump won the most delegates. Fact; Trump is the presumptive GOP nominee. Fact; Trump is supported by many stalwart conservatives, in business, the military, politics, local, state and national and more importantly we the people. 

Not liked? By neverTrumps? LOL ......now why would that be? Because I don't genuflect to them/you?  The only emoting being done here is by the neverTrumps who can't stop whining. You lost, get over it. How many times do you have to post that you don't like Trump? Do you believe you're going to persuade anyone to your side? I'm not trying to persuade the neverTrumps, but I'll do my best to refute lies and disinformation. If that irritates you, then use the ignore button or hide behind it like some of the  PAs who snipe and hurl insults.