Author Topic: Ted Cruz won’t make nice in Senate and isn’t ready to back Trump  (Read 2632 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Ted Cruz won’t make nice in Senate and isn’t ready to back Trump

Todd J. Gillman

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/2016/05/ted-cruz-wont-make-nice-in-senate-and-isnt-ready-to-back-trump.html/

Combative as ever, Sen. Ted Cruz signaled Saturday that he’s in no hurry to help elect Donald Trump as president, warning of dark days ahead regardless of who wins the White House this fall.

In an interview with The Dallas Morning News at the state Republican convention, he offered little in the way of introspection. He voiced no regrets about his antagonistic style in the Senate, which hampered his ability to round up allies. And he wouldn’t revisit his decision to embrace Trump for months as GOP rivals pointed out flaws Cruz would later hammer on.

“The odds are significant that we are headed for four very challenging years for this country. And I believe that movement, that remnant of freedom loving patriots, may well be the force that pulls us back from the abyss,” Cruz said in a suite at the Omni Hotel overlooking downtown Dallas.

Remnant is a term that resonates with the evangelical Christians whom Cruz has carefully courted, referring to the survivors of biblical-scale catastrophe. Conservative evangelicals provided a foundation for the Cruz run for president, though ended up unable to build a coalition sufficient to halt Trump.
Sen. Ted Cruz sits for an interview at the Omni Hotel in Dallas on May 14, 2016. (Vernon Bryant/The Dallas Morning News)

Sen. Ted Cruz sits for an interview at the Omni Hotel in Dallas on May 14, 2016. (Vernon Bryant/The Dallas Morning News)

Cruz has remained proudly an outsider. He signaled no interest in adjusting his approach. There will be no reboot, no Ted Cruz 2.0.

“I understand that the media would like to see me surrender the conservative principles that I’m fighting for, join the Washington cartel, and stop fighting for the men and women of this country. I am not willing to do so,” he said. “My responsibility is to the 8,000 delegates who are gathered here today at this convention, is to the little old ladies across this state who have knocked on doors and made thousands and thousands of phone calls” and to struggling business owners and veterans.

“I recognize that the media loves to focus on style and personality. It is about substance. Substance matters,” he said. “People are hurting in this country, and my focus is on lifting the burden of Washington on small businesses, stopping the federal government from violating your freedoms so that you and I can live a better life.”

Cruz offered no regrets about his decision to lay off Trump for months as others, including Rick Perry, Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio and Lindsey Graham went on the attack. The gloves finally came off in mid-December, and at the end, Cruz was calling Trump unstable, a narcissist, a “pathological liar” and a “serial philanderer.”

“You learn a great deal about a candidate watching them up close and how they campaign. What I thought and knew about each candidate changed dramatically over the course of the campaign,” he said. “What I said then and I say now is, I enthusiastically embrace Donald Trump supporters –millions and millions of Americans who are good people, who are frustrated out of their minds with Washington, who are tired of being lied to, and who are desperate for somebody who will stand with them.”

continued

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
May God bless and keep him!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Amen to that!

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
Ted Cruz won’t make nice in Senate and isn’t ready to back Trump

Todd J. Gillman

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/2016/05/ted-cruz-wont-make-nice-in-senate-and-isnt-ready-to-back-trump.html/

I understand that the media would like to see me surrender the conservative principles that I’m fighting for, join the Washington cartel, and stop fighting for the men and women of this country. I am not willing to do so,” he said. “My responsibility is to the 8,000 delegates who are gathered here today at this convention, is to the little old ladies across this state who have knocked on doors and made thousands and thousands of phone calls” and to struggling business owners and veterans.

What juxtaposition with the presumptive suh-jester in chief
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:52:09 pm by BigHomer »
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The instant the national republican party hands over the keys to Trump is the instant me and my money exit the party for good!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

A-Lert

Bye-bye....:seeya:

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
    • Not My Circus
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
This ain't TOS

No, I think Lert got banned from TOS. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

He was a+bert over there and every bit as annoying.  I love the ignore feature on this site!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
    • Not My Circus

I'm sure they'd welcome him back now as long as he has deep pockets

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Ted Cruz won’t make nice in Senate and isn’t ready to back Trump
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 08:20:38 pm »
He was a+bert over there and every bit as annoying.  I love the ignore feature on this site!

I can't believe I didn't put the two together. Yes, annoying is the word. Thank goodness for ignore.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 08:44:30 pm »

Cruz has remained proudly an outsider. He signaled no interest in adjusting his approach. There will be no reboot, no Ted Cruz 2.0.

This is exactly what I like best about him.  What he says is what he does.  No "walking it back" for Ted.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 08:46:20 pm »
This is exactly what I like best about him.  What he says is what he does.  No "walking it back" for Ted.

:amen:  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 08:59:50 pm »
Cruz is a principled man. God bless him! He would make a great President of the Republic of Texas. ***gadsen@@@
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 09:51:28 pm »
Ted Cruz won’t make nice in Senate

Let's hope he holds tight to this winning strategy for decades to come.   :beer:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 10:01:03 pm »
“You learn a great deal about a candidate watching them up close and how they campaign. What I thought and knew about each candidate changed dramatically over the course of the campaign,” he said.

That Cruz could not see, or chose to ignore, what millions of the rest of us saw in Donald Trump indicates he simply can't read people very well.  It's no wonder he pisses off everybody he works with.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

A-Lert

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 10:52:52 pm »

Wrong again.

A-Lert

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 10:59:31 pm »
I'm sure they'd welcome him back now as long as he has deep pockets

I'm not interested in posting where cliques and pack attacks are a regular occurrence. I don't genuflect to anybody.

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
    • Not My Circus
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 11:05:35 pm »
I'm not interested in posting where cliques and pack attacks are a regular occurrence. I don't genuflect to anybody.

I'll count that as one redeeming personal characteristic for you

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 02:00:50 am »
Cruz is a principled man. God bless him! He would make a great President of the Republic of Texas. ***gadsen@@@

Now, I like that!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 02:02:14 am »

Let's hope he holds tight to this winning strategy for decades to come.   :beer:

Why on earth would you wish that? 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 02:03:11 am »
That Cruz could not see, or chose to ignore, what millions of the rest of us saw in Donald Trump indicates he simply can't read people very well.  It's no wonder he pisses off everybody he works with.

Sink, what are you talking about? 

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 02:08:34 am »
Cruz should team up with Sasse, Lee and one other to deny a 51 seat majority to the McConnell GOP. This group would yield a tremendous power broker in the Senate.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

A-Lert

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2016, 02:28:14 am »
Cruz should team up with Sasse, Lee and one other to deny a 51 seat majority to the McConnell GOP. This group would yield a tremendous power broker in the Senate.

What purpose would that serve?

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 02:39:30 am »
What purpose would that serve?
You don't know, If you were truly against the "establishment" GOP, but I guess your in McConnell corner then
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy