Author Topic: For Who? For What? Why do Republicans owe Trump anything?  (Read 1518 times)

Offline sinkspur

For Who? For What? Why do Republicans owe Trump anything?
« on: May 14, 2016, 02:30:18 am »
http://www.weeklystandard.com/for-who-for-what/article/2002381

For Who? For What?

MAY 23, 2016 | By JONATHAN V. LAST

In Philadelphia sports lore, there is a famous phrase: “For who? For what?" In 1995, the Philadelphia Eagles were thought to be one player away from Super Bowl contention. In the offseason they signed the NFL's best free agent, Pro Bowl running back Ricky Watters. In the final minutes of the first game of the season, the Eagles were losing to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, badly. As Philadelphia marched down the field in search of an irrelevant late-game touchdown, quarterback Randall Cunningham threw a bullet to Watters over the middle. With linebackers closing in on him from three sides, Watters didn't even attempt to catch the ball. He batted it down.

In the locker room after the game, reporters asked Watters about his lack of effort on the play. He replied: "I'm not going to trip up there and get knocked out. For who? For what?"

They are questions Republican office-seekers ought to ask themselves before they endorse Donald Trump.

As a matter of loyalty or principle, why do Republican officeholders owe Trump their support? He has no history in the Republican party or of supporting Republican causes. Quite the opposite—he was, until the day before yesterday, a Democratic supporter of Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi. If, after her 2008 loss to Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton had registered as a Republican and then won the GOP's 2016 nomination, would Republicans feel duty-bound to endorse her? Of course not. She would still be Hillary Clinton. And Donald Trump is still Donald Trump.

Republicans have not had a presidential nominee who pleased a wide majority of the party in a long while; most of their nominees have been mildly disdained. Yet as imperfect as Mitt Romney and John McCain were, they didn't prompt prominent Republicans to burn their party registration cards. There was never a question of whether to endorse them. The resistance to Trump from within the Republican party is a difference of kind, not degree.

Part of the argument against Trump has always been that it would be impossible for him to unite the Republican party. So far this has proven to be true. Trump seems not just incapable of working with elected Republicans, but uninterested. "I don't think it's imperative that the entire party come together," Trump told Morning Joe. "I don't want everybody." As if to drive home the point, the day after clearing the field, Trump went out of his way to reiterate his theory about Ted Cruz's father being involved in the Kennedy assassination. He called Russell Moore, the head of the Southern Baptist Convention's policy arm, "a nasty guy with no heart!" He flipped on opposing the Democratic campaign to raise the minimum wage and bragged, "I'm very different from most Republicans."

And then, to add insult to insult, Trump lied about Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio. He told NBC's Chuck Todd that he was surprised that Paul Ryan had withheld his endorsement since the speaker of the House had called and congratulated him after the New York primary. Trump told Fox News's Bret Baier that he had several "really nice conversations" with Rubio and that Rubio had been "very supportive, very good."

According to Ryan's and Rubio's staffs, these conversations never happened and Trump's account is fictional. Not the usual way one builds party unity.

President Obama often complains that congressional Republicans reflexively opposed him without ever trying to work with him. To which Republicans reply that Obama was a deliberately polarizing figure who showed no interest in cooperating with the GOP Congress, preferring instead to mock and marginalize them. Trump seems to believe, like Obama, that unity can be demanded, rather than earned.

So as a matter of principle, Republicans owe Trump nothing. Of course, politics is sometimes inhospitable to principle. But even as a crass, electoral concern, it may be foolish for Republicans to support Trump. Understand that the term "Trump supporters" now includes not just the alt-right and the KKK, but every Republican officeholder who has endorsed Trump. If Trump loses in November, he will harrumph back to Mar-a-Lago unbowed. The fact that he will have no future in the party is likely to disturb him very little, since he had no past in it, either. But other Republicans—Bobby Jindal, Rick Perry, Chris Christie, Mitch McConnell—will not have the same luxury.

To endorse Donald Trump is to make your political career hostage to a man who may, at any random moment, accuse a former president of treason. Or encourage his supporters to physically assault their opponents. Or spin wild conspiracy theories, or tell obvious lies, or praise murderous dictators.

One of the oddities of politics is that its practitioners can be destroyed by a single moment. Think of Marco Rubio's New Hampshire debate flub. Or Rick Perry's 2012 mishap. Or Mitt Romney's "47 percent" comment. Or Howard Dean's scream. Or Al Gore's sighing. Yet some politicians can survive anything short of a full-scale nuclear first strike.

Both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump have survived facts and statements that would have destroyed most politicians. It isn't fair, but fair's got nothing to do with it. Most people running for office do not have electorally the resilience of a cockroach.

Republicans considering whether to endorse Trump should ask themselves, honestly, whether they possess the same imperviousness as Trump. Because they're going to need it. Over the next six months, any Republican running for election who is supporting Trump is going to be importuned to defend every insane utterance, every lie, every dangerous idea that emanates from the man. They're going to be pestered, every day, at every campaign stop, to either endorse or disavow everything noteworthy Trump says.

That's the flip side to the "unity" arguments Trumpkins such as Mike Huckabee are mounting. It's easy for Huckabee to be pro-Trump—he'll never stand before voters again. But people with careers need to understand that there are no good alternatives in a Trumpist GOP, only less-bad ones. The choice isn't whether Republicans unite behind a guy who became a Republican five minutes ago and holds almost no views in common with theirs. It's whether Republican office-seekers should preserve some independence or yoke themselves to a perpetual scandal machine.

Republicans in the past have proved clear-eyed about such things. Remember Todd Akin's 2012 Missouri Senate campaign? Akin was one of those everyday politicians—the kind who can end their career with a single, stupid remark. He chose to dilate on the subject of "legitimate rape" during an interview with a local TV station.

Akin's remarks became a national sensation. Did Republicans rally behind him in "unity"? Akin, after all, had won his party's nomination fair and square. The people of Missouri had spoken! And Akin was an actual Republican: He served in the House of Representatives for more than a decade. He had opposed abortion and supported the Second Amendment and was even in favor of building a wall—or at least a fence—along the Mexican border.

Yet Republicans ran from Akin as if he had the plague. Mitt Romney and Roy Blunt abandoned him. So did Scott Brown in his Massachusetts race and Ron Johnson in Wisconsin. The National Republican Senatorial Committee not only stopped spending in Akin's race, but went so far as to issue a press release highlighting calls for Akin to drop out.

That NRSC press release about Akin makes for fascinating reading today. In it, Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, and the Wall Street Journal—all of whom have conspicuously demanded Republican "unity" behind Trump—were cited, calling on Akin to give up his legitimately earned Senate nomination and drop out of the race.

The Journal lamented that "Mr. Akin has sunk his own ship." Coulter said that "Republicans can't risk these kinds of mistakes" and that if Akin didn't give up his nomination and withdraw she would "officially" "hate" him. Hannity implored Akin to understand that "elections are bigger than one person." So much for unity.

Any Republican running for office who supports Donald Trump is pledging their honor, their dignity, and their political life to this man. So before they make that choice, they ought to ask themselves: For who? For what?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: For Who? For What? Why do Republicans owe Trump anything?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 02:34:24 am »
That weasel Priebus threw Todd Akin overboard with no hesitation.  Now, he wants us to get behind a pathological liar

http://www.weeklystandard.com/reince-in-2012-forget-unity-dump-akin/article/2002393/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=t.co&utm_campaign=20160513_TWS-blog-reince-akin-trump-2_twitter&utm_content=TWS

Reince in 2012: Forget Unity, Dump Akin

11:44 AM, MAY 13, 2016 | By MICHAEL WARREN

Among those Washington Republicans who met with presumptive presidential nominee Donald Trump Thursday was Reince Priebus, the chairman of the Republican National Committee. Priebus tweeted a message that his meeting with Trump, Paul Ryan, and other congressional leaders was "great" and a "very positive step toward party unity."

"Unity" was the operative word on Capitol Hill, despite the apparent risk Trump's nomination poses to endangered House and Senate candidates down the ballot. As RNC chair, Priebus has been leading the call for Republican unity, even before Trump secured enough delegates to all but ensure his nomination. "[We] all need to get behind the nominee," he told the New York Times last month.

But in 2012, Priebus was singing a different tune about another Republican nominee for national office who had said problematic statements that threatened to doom other GOP candidates. Todd Akin, the Missouri congressman who won that state's U.S. Senate primary (with the help of the Democratic incumbent who hoped to face him in the general), had become toxic to national Republicans after suggesting that women who become pregnant from rape were not "legitimately" raped. Republicans across the country asked Akin to step aside from his race for the good of the party and the country. Priebus was one of them.

"I'm involved because I'm worried about the future of this country," the RNC chairman told two RedState.com writers in August 2012. "What I do love about some people in politics is that they're in it for the cause. They really do believe that this is about liberty and freedom and the future of our country. And sometimes when that's really where you're at, and you have an opportunity to put someone else in place who has a better chance of winning than you do, well, then, you're not always, you know, the person that has to be the guy."

With just over two months before the 2012 elections, Priebus called on Akin to drop out.

"I think that it's time for Mr. Akin to step aside and allow someone else that has a better chance of winning. That's all this is about, putting your country first," he said, adding that the RNC would not spend any money on the Missouri Senate race, even if Akin was tied with Democratic opponent Claire McCaskill.

A-Lert

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 02:54:56 am »
 8888crybaby :boring:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 03:49:26 am »
I don't owe the POS anything and nothing is exactly what he will get from me!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 05:46:25 pm »
As a matter of loyalty or principle, why do Republican officeholders owe Trump their support? He has no history in the Republican party or of supporting Republican causes

The American voters are driving Donald Trump's Republican Party.  If the establishment would lift their gaze from their navels, they would see this and embrace it. 

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 05:48:23 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 05:50:39 pm »
No one owes him (or any candidate) anything. He is the job applicant and he has to sell himself to us. We are not bound by any sort of loyalty or quid pro quo to support anyone just because they decide one day to sew a R on their jersey.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 05:54:48 pm »
The American voters are driving Donald Trump's Republican Party.  If the establishment would lift their gaze from their navels, they would see this and embrace it. 

40% of GOP primary voters supported Trump.  That's a plurality.  I"m no longer a Republican because I refuse to belong to any group that Trump is a part of.  Jeff Sessions sold his soul and will never be the conservative hero he once was.

Trump is now part of the establishment, so stop with the bullshit.  He'll get establishment support, establishment money, establishment endorsements.  Your boy is what you hate.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 06:24:22 pm »
40% of GOP primary voters supported Trump.  That's a plurality.  I"m no longer a Republican because I refuse to belong to any group that Trump is a part of.  Jeff Sessions sold his soul and will never be the conservative hero he once was.

Your number is outdated.  I respect your withdrawal from the Republican Party.  And Jeff Sessions' soul is intact and he will continue to be a driving force in Republican policy. 

Trump is now part of the establishment, so stop with the bullshit.  He'll get establishment support, establishment money, establishment endorsements.  Your boy is what you hate. 

You have missed what's happened here.  Donald Trump has redefined what the Republican establishment is and will be going forward.  I support the change.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 06:33:51 pm »
Your number is outdated.  I respect your withdrawal from the Republican Party.  And Jeff Sessions' soul is intact and he will continue to be a driving force in Republican policy. 

You have missed what's happened here.  Donald Trump has redefined what the Republican establishment is and will be going forward.  I support the change.

My number is not outdated.  40.5% is what Trump won in the primaries so far. 

Trump stands for nothing except suggestions. 

Trump, late April: "Every­thing I say I’m going to do, folks, I’ll do."
Trump, yesterday: "Everything is a suggestion...it's a suggestion."

Congratulations on your hero worship.  You're a hypocrite if you criticized Obama supporters for the very same thing. 

You're also a hypocrite if you joined the Donald in trashing Marco Rubio for taking Sheldon Adelson's money in the primary.  Trump said "Little Marco will be Adelson's puppet."

Now we find out Adelson is going to pour money into Trump's campaign.  Will Trump be Adelson's puppet now?

You Trumpkins are such suckers.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 06:38:49 pm by sinkspur »

A-Lert

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 06:51:08 pm »
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/trump-forces-didn-t-just-beat-establishment-they-overran-it-n570851

Trump Forces Didn't Just Beat the Establishment, They Overran It

About 25.7 million people have voted in the 2016 Republican primaries and caucuses so far. That's about seven million more votes than were cast in the entire 2012 GOP presidential primary - and there are likely still well over two million votes yet to be cast in nine states this year, including in the nation's most populous state, California.

And a close look at the numbers provides a lot of evidence that Trump didn't win the party over so much as his supporters overran the primary process. In essence, Trump democratized (small "d") the GOP process and took it away from the establishment.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 08:22:09 pm »
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/trump-forces-didn-t-just-beat-establishment-they-overran-it-n570851

About 25.7 million people have voted in the 2016 Republican primaries and caucuses so far. That's about seven million more votes than were cast in the entire 2012 GOP presidential primary - and there are likely still well over two million votes yet to be cast in nine states this year, including in the nation's most populous state, California.

And a close look at the numbers provides a lot of evidence that Trump didn't win the party over so much as his supporters overran the primary process. In essence, Trump democratized (small "d") the GOP process and took it away from the establishment.
In other words, Democrats hijacked the party, just as we've been warning about for years now.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 08:39:11 pm »
In other words, Democrats hijacked the party, just as we've been warning about for years now.

Why yes, that pretty much sums it up  :chairbang:
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 08:44:20 pm »
http://www.weeklystandard.com/for-who-for-what/article/2002381

For Who? For What?

MAY 23, 2016 | By JONATHAN V. LAST

In Philadelphia sports lore, there is a famous phrase: “For who? For what?" In 1995, the Philadelphia Eagles were thought to be one player away from Super Bowl contention. In the offseason they signed the NFL's best free agent, Pro Bowl running back Ricky Watters. In the final minutes of the first game of the season, the Eagles were losing to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, badly. As Philadelphia marched down the field in search of an irrelevant late-game touchdown, quarterback Randall Cunningham threw a bullet to Watters over the middle. With linebackers closing in on him from three sides, Watters didn't even attempt to catch the ball. He batted it down.

In the locker room after the game, reporters asked Watters about his lack of effort on the play. He replied: "I'm not going to trip up there and get knocked out. For who? For what?"

They are questions Republican office-seekers ought to ask themselves before they endorse Donald Trump.

As a matter of loyalty or principle, why do Republican officeholders owe Trump their support? He has no history in the Republican party or of supporting Republican causes. Quite the opposite—he was, until the day before yesterday, a Democratic supporter of Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi. If, after her 2008 loss to Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton had registered as a Republican and then won the GOP's 2016 nomination, would Republicans feel duty-bound to endorse her? Of course not. She would still be Hillary Clinton. And Donald Trump is still Donald Trump.

Republicans have not had a presidential nominee who pleased a wide majority of the party in a long while; most of their nominees have been mildly disdained. Yet as imperfect as Mitt Romney and John McCain were, they didn't prompt prominent Republicans to burn their party registration cards. There was never a question of whether to endorse them. The resistance to Trump from within the Republican party is a difference of kind, not degree.

Part of the argument against Trump has always been that it would be impossible for him to unite the Republican party. So far this has proven to be true. Trump seems not just incapable of working with elected Republicans, but uninterested. "I don't think it's imperative that the entire party come together," Trump told Morning Joe. "I don't want everybody." As if to drive home the point, the day after clearing the field, Trump went out of his way to reiterate his theory about Ted Cruz's father being involved in the Kennedy assassination. He called Russell Moore, the head of the Southern Baptist Convention's policy arm, "a nasty guy with no heart!" He flipped on opposing the Democratic campaign to raise the minimum wage and bragged, "I'm very different from most Republicans."

And then, to add insult to insult, Trump lied about Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio. He told NBC's Chuck Todd that he was surprised that Paul Ryan had withheld his endorsement since the speaker of the House had called and congratulated him after the New York primary. Trump told Fox News's Bret Baier that he had several "really nice conversations" with Rubio and that Rubio had been "very supportive, very good."

According to Ryan's and Rubio's staffs, these conversations never happened and Trump's account is fictional. Not the usual way one builds party unity.

President Obama often complains that congressional Republicans reflexively opposed him without ever trying to work with him. To which Republicans reply that Obama was a deliberately polarizing figure who showed no interest in cooperating with the GOP Congress, preferring instead to mock and marginalize them. Trump seems to believe, like Obama, that unity can be demanded, rather than earned.

So as a matter of principle, Republicans owe Trump nothing. Of course, politics is sometimes inhospitable to principle. But even as a crass, electoral concern, it may be foolish for Republicans to support Trump. Understand that the term "Trump supporters" now includes not just the alt-right and the KKK, but every Republican officeholder who has endorsed Trump. If Trump loses in November, he will harrumph back to Mar-a-Lago unbowed. The fact that he will have no future in the party is likely to disturb him very little, since he had no past in it, either. But other Republicans—Bobby Jindal, Rick Perry, Chris Christie, Mitch McConnell—will not have the same luxury.

To endorse Donald Trump is to make your political career hostage to a man who may, at any random moment, accuse a former president of treason. Or encourage his supporters to physically assault their opponents. Or spin wild conspiracy theories, or tell obvious lies, or praise murderous dictators.

One of the oddities of politics is that its practitioners can be destroyed by a single moment. Think of Marco Rubio's New Hampshire debate flub. Or Rick Perry's 2012 mishap. Or Mitt Romney's "47 percent" comment. Or Howard Dean's scream. Or Al Gore's sighing. Yet some politicians can survive anything short of a full-scale nuclear first strike.

Both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump have survived facts and statements that would have destroyed most politicians. It isn't fair, but fair's got nothing to do with it. Most people running for office do not have electorally the resilience of a cockroach.

Republicans considering whether to endorse Trump should ask themselves, honestly, whether they possess the same imperviousness as Trump. Because they're going to need it. Over the next six months, any Republican running for election who is supporting Trump is going to be importuned to defend every insane utterance, every lie, every dangerous idea that emanates from the man. They're going to be pestered, every day, at every campaign stop, to either endorse or disavow everything noteworthy Trump says.

That's the flip side to the "unity" arguments Trumpkins such as Mike Huckabee are mounting. It's easy for Huckabee to be pro-Trump—he'll never stand before voters again. But people with careers need to understand that there are no good alternatives in a Trumpist GOP, only less-bad ones. The choice isn't whether Republicans unite behind a guy who became a Republican five minutes ago and holds almost no views in common with theirs. It's whether Republican office-seekers should preserve some independence or yoke themselves to a perpetual scandal machine.

Republicans in the past have proved clear-eyed about such things. Remember Todd Akin's 2012 Missouri Senate campaign? Akin was one of those everyday politicians—the kind who can end their career with a single, stupid remark. He chose to dilate on the subject of "legitimate rape" during an interview with a local TV station.

Akin's remarks became a national sensation. Did Republicans rally behind him in "unity"? Akin, after all, had won his party's nomination fair and square. The people of Missouri had spoken! And Akin was an actual Republican: He served in the House of Representatives for more than a decade. He had opposed abortion and supported the Second Amendment and was even in favor of building a wall—or at least a fence—along the Mexican border.

Yet Republicans ran from Akin as if he had the plague. Mitt Romney and Roy Blunt abandoned him. So did Scott Brown in his Massachusetts race and Ron Johnson in Wisconsin. The National Republican Senatorial Committee not only stopped spending in Akin's race, but went so far as to issue a press release highlighting calls for Akin to drop out.

That NRSC press release about Akin makes for fascinating reading today. In it, Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, and the Wall Street Journal—all of whom have conspicuously demanded Republican "unity" behind Trump—were cited, calling on Akin to give up his legitimately earned Senate nomination and drop out of the race.

The Journal lamented that "Mr. Akin has sunk his own ship." Coulter said that "Republicans can't risk these kinds of mistakes" and that if Akin didn't give up his nomination and withdraw she would "officially" "hate" him. Hannity implored Akin to understand that "elections are bigger than one person." So much for unity.

Any Republican running for office who supports Donald Trump is pledging their honor, their dignity, and their political life to this man. So before they make that choice, they ought to ask themselves: For who? For what?
Many of the same people who (rightly) lambasted Bill Clinton as an immoral creep are now either ignoring or saying "so what" to Trump's past indiscretions in the sex area. They're actually saying the end justifies the means.
Trump got about 40% of the Republican vote in the primaries, but "the people have spoken" or  "the will of the people cannot be ignored." That was what the people who voted for King Barack also said.
"So shuck all your principles you anti-Trump people. Forget about your conscience" say the people jumping aboard the Trump Train (to disaster.)
No thank you.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 08:48:35 pm »

That's an incoherent argument.  American voters also drove King Barack into the White House. So because a majority of American voters chose Obama over Romney, we should be glad? Because a pct. of Republicans around 42% voted for Trump in the primaries, they represent "the will of the people" in your opinion?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 08:49:48 pm »
Many of the same people who (rightly) lambasted Bill Clinton as an immoral creep are now either ignoring or saying "so what" to Trump's past indiscretions in the sex area. They're actually saying the end justifies the means.
Trump got about 40% of the Republican vote in the primaries, but "the people have spoken" or  "the will of the people cannot be ignored." That was what the people who voted for King Barack also said.
"So shuck all your principles you anti-Trump people. Forget about your conscience" say the people jumping aboard the Trump Train (to disaster.)
No thank you.

#NeverTrump #NeverHillary

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 08:53:58 pm »
#NeverTrump

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 09:24:59 pm »
No one owes him (or any candidate) anything. He is the job applicant and he has to sell himself to us. We are not bound by any sort of loyalty or quid pro quo to support anyone just because they decide one day to sew a R on their jersey.

:amen:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 09:38:02 pm »
This is the most pathetic thing I've ever read:

Is Trump a six year old?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 09:49:22 pm »
This is the most pathetic thing I've ever read:

Is Trump a six year old?

Yet another reason to bid the GOP adieu on the national level.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 10:38:05 pm »
I no longer identify with the Republican Party - so I can give a rat's arse what their Ruling Class Oligarchs, sycophants and political messiah-worshippers think their "members""owe" them.

They can fawn over Lil' Benito and the Liberal Northeastern Marxist cabal to their heart's content.

I'll have nothing more to do with them or their fundamental transformation of making America into Trump or Hildabeast's image.

They're the Beast - and I refuse their mark.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 10:47:38 pm »

I've been saying for weeks that I'd like to know, as close as it can be known, just how many actual
Republicans did in fact vote for Donaldus Minimus in the primaries, considering how many
of the primaries were open primaries in which anyone could vote for anyone regardless of party
affiliation. We'd have a far better idea of just how strong was his real support among actual
Republicans. (For that matter, who knows how many actual Democrats actually did vote
for Hilarious Rodent Clinton in the primaries, along the same line of thinking.)

Say what you will about either party's establishment, actual or alleged, but ponder this: Open
primaries are ridiculous. It stands only to reason that none but Republicans should be picking
a Republican candidate, whomever he (or she) might be, or that none but Democrats should
be picking a Democratic candidate, whomever she (or he) might be. I'd like to hope that if
this primary season did nothing else, it provoked a lot of people---particularly those who thought
formerly that open primaries were a grand idea---to think twice and, perhaps, act accordingly.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

A-Lert

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2016, 11:29:59 pm »

:bsflag: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_party_strength_in_U.S._states