Author Topic: Trump now says his proposed ban on Muslims entering US was 'just a suggestion'  (Read 332 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: AMERICAN THINKER

URL: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/05/trump_now_says_his_proposed_ban_on_muslims_entering_us_was_just_a_suggestion.html

BY: RICK MORAN

Donald Trump said in a radio interview that his proposal to temporarily ban Muslim travel to the US is just a "suggestion" until "we find out what's going on."

Does this sound like a mere "suggestion"? Or a statement of policy?

"Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on," a campaign press release said.

Trump, who has previously called for surveillance against mosques and said he was open to establishing a database for all Muslims living in the U.S., made his latest controversial call in a news release. His message comes in the wake of a deadly mass shooting in San Bernardino, California, by suspected ISIS sympathizers and the day after President Barack Obama asked the country not to "turn against one another" out of fear.

Trump's comments are likely to roil the Republican presidential race, forcing many of his opponents for the nomination to engage in a debate over whether there should be a religious test to enter America.

But his proposal was met with enthusiasm by many of his supporters, who showed their approval via social media as well as at his rally on Monday night.

"I think that we should definitely disallow any Muslims from coming in. Any of them. The reason is simple: we can't identify what their attitude is," said 75-year-old Charlie Marzka of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

Compare that statement of intent with what he told Fox News yesterday:

“We have a serious problem. It’s a temporary ban. It hasn’t been called for yet. Nobody’s done it. This is just a suggestion until we find out what’s going on,” Trump said.

But Trump didn’t mince words in linking Muslims to the proliferation of terrorism around the world.

“We have radical Islamic terrorism all over the world. You can go to Paris, you can go to San Bernardino, all over the world: If they want to deny it, they can deny it. I don’t choose to deny it,” he said.

Trump’s comments came one day after he claimed he would make an “exception” for London’s first Muslim mayor, Sadiq Khan, to enter the U.S.

“There will always be exceptions,” he told The New York Times on Tuesday, while adding he was happy Khan was elected in the city.

Khan was not impressed with Trump’s gesture, telling CNN that the Manhattan billionaire was “ignorant” about Islam and that he hoped he would lose the U.S. election.

Later on Wednesday, Fox News' Greta Van Susteren also asked about Trump's immigration plans, including forming a commission to work on his proposed Muslim ban.

“I’m looking at it very strongly with Rudy Giuliani heading it,” Trump said.

“I’ve spoken to him a little while ago. We’re going to put together a group of five or six people. Very, very highly thought of people, and I think Rudy will head it up, and we’ll look at the Muslim ban."

“I have a lot of confidence in Rudy Giuliani,” Trump concluded.

How long before Trump walks this comment back and pretends that this is what he meant all along?

Trump has a nasty habit of forgetting his original positions on issues and claiming to have said something else entirely. He's going to increase taxes on the rich. The next day, he said he wouldn't. His position on abortion has taken so many forms that no one knows where he stands.

These aren't slight shadings of positions that most politicians do. These are full blown reversals of what he has said previously.

It makes you wonder whether Trump stands for anything at al.

Offline eartick

This is a suggestion as the wall is a suggestion as cutting the budget is a suggestion as getting tough on immigration is a suggestion as making America great is a suggestion as ........

LIAR.......
Spent 9 years with buds on the border----a wall will not stop illegals.

Only Citizens armed to the teeth will stop this illegal invasion.

Offline LadyLiberty

He's all over the place:

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump  20h20 hours ago
Goofy Elizabeth Warren lied when she says I want to abolish the Federal Minimum Wage. See media—asking for increase!
3,094 retweets 9,670 likes
Reply   Retweet  3.1K   
Like 9.7K 
More

Looks like he's pandering to Bernie voters.

Offline bob434

Lyin Donald Trump- Slimy Donald Trump- Saying anything that he thinks will get him electe4d- then turning around and doing the opposite- Usually when someoen calls other people names, like donald did about Ted- ie "Lyin Ted' 'Slimy Ted' or whatever he said, they are projecting their own negative traits onto others-

Donald will turn on you trump supporters- you can bank on it- He's already doing so on several fronts- but trump supporters will defend him to the end regardless- Trum p was right about one thing when he said it does NOT matter what he does- his supporters will not abandon him no matter whaT- Even when he proves to be a flaming liberal in the end AFTER getting the nomination- He's giving pretty strong hints that he is conning everyone now- but sadly his supporters ignore the obvious and continue feinting in excitement every time they hear him say "There's noone better than me- Believe me' or 'I'm going to build a wall, and mexico will pay for it' or 'I'm going to wipe out our national debt' (psttt- He's walked back that last naive claim too)

The 'neverromney' peopel gave us dear leader for 8 years- now the 'noonebuttrump' people are taking us right back down another horrible road with an orange glowing con man who lies about being conservative- Look for donald to take back his claim "I'm going to put only the strongest conservative judges on the supreme court' when elected- As soon as he's conned everyone to get the nomination- He'll turn- Just like he's turning on his supporters now- His one big 'promise' was to ban all muslims from entering the country- Haven't we had enough of a perpetual liar in office for 7 years now? You really ant 4-8 more years of betrayal?  Thanks America!

Offline RedHead

Dead Carp Don, because Trump flips and flops more than a fish out of water.

Offline Mechanicos

Context was his discussion with the Muslim mayor of London who rejected his suggestion to temp ban Muslim immigrants and was denying such a thing as Muslim terrorism. Next timme listen to the interview. Not even the interviewer thought it was worth mentioning. People need to think for themselves here and stop letting bad people control what you think just because they feed a bias.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17