Author Topic: Ryan reportedly opens door to stepping down as convention chair, if Trump asks  (Read 969 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/05/09/ryan-reportedly-opens-door-to-stepping-down-as-convention-chair-if-trump-asks.html

Ryan reportedly opens door to stepping down as convention chair, if Trump asks
Published May 09, 2016 FoxNews.com

House Speaker Paul Ryan reportedly suggested Monday he’d be willing to step down as Republican convention chairman if asked by presumptive presidential nominee Donald Trump, whom Ryan has declined to endorse. 

According to Milwaukee Journal Sentinel columnist Christian Schneider, Ryan made the comments during a meeting with reporters from the Wisconsin newspaper.

Schneider tweeted: “.@SpeakerRyan on whether he'd step down as convention chair if Trump asks: I'll do whatever he asks me to do.”

The comments come after Ryan last week declined to endorse Trump, at least at this point, suggesting he wants to see Trump do more to unify the party and stand by Republican principles. 

Trump fired back over the weekend, saying he was “blind-sided” by the remarks – while declining to answer directly when asked in an interview whether Ryan could still serve as convention chairman if he doesn’t endorse Trump. 

Trump plans to meet with Ryan later this week and suggested he’d have a better idea of his answer after that discussion.

Meanwhile, Trump backer Sarah Palin on Sunday said she plans to work to unseat Ryan, by supporting Ryan’s primary challenger in Wisconsin’s first district. Ryan’s snub of Trump was “not a wise decision of his,” Palin said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

Trump, asked about Palin's remarks on Monday on CNN, called her a "free agent" and said he had nothing to do with that push.

Ryan is facing businessman Paul Nehlen in the Aug. 9 Republican congressional primary.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

A sign that Trump doesn't intimate Ryan and that he is willing to risk the Donald's wrath for the sake of conservative ideas.

Ryan is not going to bend the knee to Trump on Thursday, will be my guess.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Mechanicos

A sign that Trump doesn't intimate Ryan and that he is willing to risk the Donald's wrath for the sake of conservative ideas.

Ryan's Conservative Ideas include use of knee-pads for dealing with Obama and the Democrats.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Bill Cipher

Ryan's Conservative Ideas include use of knee-pads for dealing with Obama and the Democrats.

As opposed to Trump, whose transition team will be headed by the guy who fellated Obama on national TV after Hurricane Sandy and just before the 2012 elections.  No doubt Christie will be lending his kneepads to Trump on a regular basis.   

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
There's no way a guy should be convention chairman - and not endorse the nominee.  Ryan should step down on his own if that's the way he feels.  I hope he gets Cantored. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline MACVSOG68

As opposed to Trump, whose transition team will be headed by the guy who fellated Obama on national TV after Hurricane Sandy and just before the 2012 elections.  No doubt Christie will be lending his kneepads to Trump on a regular basis.

:dontfeed:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Bill Cipher

There's no way a guy should be convention chairman - and not endorse the nominee.  Ryan should step down on his own if that's the way he feels.  I hope he gets Cantored. 

Why?  Is the nomination supposed to be a coronation? 

Bill Cipher

:dontfeed:

Sometimes the truth blows, I mean hurts. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Agree.  And I doubt Trump's going to ask him to step down.  IF Trump doesn't want Ryan to be part of the convention planning, Trump will simply tell him so.

Done and done.

Offline LonestarDream

Geesh.  Trump needs to learn to PICK UP THE PHONE or he is going to be installing his own chair.

Its tricky.  At the same time, am glad to see Ryan is being primarried.

Why do I hold this dichotomy?  While I want to Ryan out of Congress, it is not in Trump's interest to 'fire' Ryan.  Otherwise, Trump is going to end up with about 65% of the base in November.

Just a few weeks ago , Trump said he would have 'no problem' working with Ryan.

Makes Trump look small.  Not every actor out there is a real estate deal to be 'walked away from' if everything does not go Trump's way.

(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I don't agree that Ryan should step down just because Trump wants him to.

I mean Trump isn't King... at least not yet.

Trump isn't even the nominee yet.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline LonestarDream

You didnt get the memo?  It was in Versailles...   

I don't agree that Ryan should step down just because Trump wants him to.

I mean Trump isn't King... at least not yet.

Trump isn't even the nominee yet.

lol
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:10:24 pm by LonestarDream »
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

A-Lert

:wtf!:   :mauslaff:

Offline r9etb

Why?  Is the nomination supposed to be a coronation?

According to some, apparently.

Offline r9etb

Otherwise, Trump is going to end up with about 65% of the base in November.

Considering he's only got fewer than 50% of them now, wouldn't that be a step up?

Offline kjam22

Geesh.  Trump needs to learn to PICK UP THE PHONE or he is going to be installing his own chair.

Its tricky.  At the same time, am glad to see Ryan is being primarried.

Why do I hold this dichotomy?  While I want to Ryan out of Congress, it is not in Trump's interest to 'fire' Ryan.  Otherwise, Trump is going to end up with about 65% of the base in November.

Just a few weeks ago , Trump said he would have 'no problem' working with Ryan.

Makes Trump look small.  Not every actor out there is a real estate deal to be 'walked away from' if everything does not go Trump's way.

Not only will it make King Trumpy look small.... he could end up with someone worse.  Romney to chair?   Someone sympathetic to the Bush family?  Just to name a couple.   There could be a long list of Republicans to chair that would be worse for King Trumpy than Paul Ryan......
America needs God's forgiveness....... Even if Donald Trump doesn't think he does.

Offline CaliGirl

I just don't like Paul Ryan at all. He became Speaker of the House, and now he acts like he is king tut!!! The more I read about people bashing Trump, who knows I just might vote for him!