Author Topic: ‘This Week’ Transcript: Donald Trump (Tax Plan Segment)  (Read 1725 times)

Offline BuckeyeTexan

‘This Week’ Transcript: Donald Trump

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/week-transcript-donald-trump/story?id=38951757

STEPHANOPOULOS: You say fixing the economy is your number one priority as president. And your tax plan is your more substantive and specific proposal out there. You said recently again that you believe in raising taxes on the wealthy, including yourself, but your plan gives a massive tax cut to the wealthy. How do you square that?

TRUMP: It gives a massive tax cut to everybody. If you look at Larry Kudlow, he said it's a great plan. He loves the plan.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But more to the wealthy than everyone else.

TRUMP: ...George. And I'll say this to people, I've said it many times. I make deals. I negotiate. I put out a plan that has a massive, massive tax -- bigger than any other candidate. We have to negotiate with congress. You know, I'm not going to be able to say, like, President Obama let's do an executive order, OK. It would be wonder, it would be a lot easier, but you just can't do it when you're not supposed to do it.

He may do something -- and what he's done will probably -- much of it will be overturned by the courts. What I'm doing is I'm putting in a plan and that's my maximum plan. It's what I want.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But bottom line, do you want taxes on the wealthy to go up or down?

TRUMP: They will go up a little bit. And they may got up, you know...

STEPHANOPOULOS: But they're going down in your plan.

TRUMP: No, no, in my plan they're going down, but by the time it's negotiated, they'll go up.

Look, when I'm negotiating with the Democrats, I'm putting in plan. I'm putting in my optimum plan. It's going to be negotiated, George, it's not going to stay there. They're not going to say there's your plan, let's approve it. They're going to say, let's see what we can do.

Now, it will be a negotiation. I will try and keep everything -- what I really want is lower on business, because business -- we're the highest taxed nation in the world. And I want lower in the middle class. The middle class in this country is getting decimated. I want -- and I will fight like hell for that.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But people like (INAUDIBLE)...

TRUMP: I don't mind playing...

(CROSSTALK)

STEPHANOPOULOS: -- dichotomy.

TRUMP: I don't mind paying more tax, I'll be honest with you. I don't mind paying more tax. I've done very well over the last 40 years.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But under your plan, you pay less taxes.

TRUMP: But under my plan, it's going to be negotiated. What I'm saying is I will be submitting something like what I did in terms of concept -- because it's just a concept, George.

You know, we're putting in the policy, we're putting in a statement. It's a concept.

And I'll tell you what the real concept is. Lower taxes for business, lower taxes for the middle class, lower taxes for everybody and then we're going to start negotiating.

So if I want to get lower taxes, which is very important for me, I'm not going to put in high taxes and I'm not even going to put in what I necessarily want. I'm going to put in lower than I want and we're going to negotiate.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But in the end, will someone like me or Donald Trump pay more under your tax plan?

TRUMP: I have a feeling we may pay some more. But I'll tell you, the middle class is going to pay a lot less. And I wouldn't mind paying more, George. We've got to do something. I mean I wouldn't mind paying more.

But business will pay less. The middle class will pay less. We're going to bring in our money. You know, the corporate inversion is what's going on is incredible, with the companies leaving. But we have trillions of dollars outside of the country. We have a 10 percent tax on that money. Right now, they can't bring it back in. And by not bringing it back in, George, that's a disaster.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So is that something you're ready to negotiate with the Democrats, even though you're calling for (INAUDIBLE)...

TRUMP: No, but, you know, that -- on that, on the money...

STEPHANOPOULOS: (INAUDIBLE).

TRUMP: -- on the trillions that are out there...

STEPHANOPOULOS: No, on the taxes on the wealthy.

TRUMP: Everybody -- please...

STEPHANOPOULOS: -- you're saying you're willing to pay more.

TRUMP: I'm -- I am willing to pay more.

And do you know what?

The wealthy are willing to pay more. We've had a very good run. You know, we hear all about Obama. We hear all about -- we've had a very good run.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So that would be a big change from your plan.

TRUMP: No, it's not a change, George. It's a negotiation. Remember this, if I could get my plan approved the way it is nice I would be very happy. It's not going to happen, because we have a lot of people that are going to be negotiating this and they don't -- they don't do very well.

The world -- if you look at the United States with tax plans, not a lot happens. It just sort of stays the same. It's a big quagmire.

One of the things I'm getting is big simplification. We're getting the lower rates. We're getting a lot of things. But we're getting massive simplification. We're getting rid of carried interest, which is, you know, not going to make hedge fund people happy.

STEPHANOPOULOS: (INAUDIBLE). But those people are actually going to be paying fewer -- less taxes under your plan because even though you're getting rid of the loophole, you're taxing it as regular income,

TRUMP: We're getting rid of the loophole -- yes, but George, but let...

STEPHANOPOULOS: It's going to go down from 23 to 15 percent.

TRUMP: George, by the time it gets negotiated, it's going to be a different plan. And, you know, I like to be -- I like to have my cards on the table. We're going to submit the optimum. That's what I'd like to get and we'll fight for it.

But from a practical standpoint, it's going to get re-negotiated, and, in my opinion, the taxes for the rich will go up somewhat.
There are those that break and bend. I'm the other kind. ~Steve Earle

Offline Mechanicos

Re: ‘This Week’ Transcript: Donald Trump (Tax Plan Segment)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 07:31:02 pm »
Ahh as I thought, A $neverTrump nothing Burger. He will come in with going from 38 percent to 25 percent but not not expect to get 25% so he will get a cut under 38% but not as low as down to 25%. The only thing he was talking about going up was the bottom number not the top number Context tells the story.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline BuckeyeTexan

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 07:37:10 pm »
The most ardent Trump supporters often point me to Trump's policy statements as being representative of what he stands for and what he will do as POTUS. Trump says his policy statements are essentially an opening bid for a negotiation. So, by default, we know we'll get less than what's on the table. What worries me is that we don't know how much less.

How is this any different from the GOPe saying they were going to repeal Obamacare? We bought it hook, line, and sinker. What did we get?

For years, we've resented the GOPe for reaching across the aisle. Now it's okay to negotiate?

I don't get it.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 07:37:35 pm »
Ahh as I thought, A $neverTrump nothing Burger. He will come in with going from 38 percent to 25 percent but not not expect to get 25% so he will get a cut under 38% but not as low as down to 25%. The only thing he was talking about going up was the bottom number not the top number Context tells the story.

Yo Mech. Verbal cleanup ok aisle 3!!!
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 07:39:11 pm »
The most ardent Trump supporters often point me to Trump's policy statements as being representative of what he stands for and what he will do as POTUS. Trump says his policy statements are essentially an opening bid for a negotiation. So, by default, we know we'll get less than what's on the table. What worries me is that we don't know how much less.

How is this any different from the GOPe saying they were going to repeal Obamacare? We bought it hook, line, and sinker. What did we get?

For years, we've resented the GOPe for reaching across the aisle. Now it's okay to negotiate?

I don't get it.

It would be good if somebody would tell Trump what
Steve Miller put in those position papers...

Offline BuckeyeTexan

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 07:50:24 pm »
@Mechanicos

How can you say it's a nothing-burger? He says he wants lower taxes for business and the middle class and will fight like hell to get it, but at the same time, he says that his tax plan is his optimum plan and it will change during negotiations with Democrats.

He doesn't say he won't negotiate on middle class tax cuts. So that's open for discussion? 

No, Trump isn't suggesting that he'll take a little bit less than 38%. He says he fully expects to negotiate a deal wherein the wealthy pay more taxes.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 07:52:07 pm by BuckeyeTexan »

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 08:01:55 pm »
@Mechanicos

How can you say it's a nothing-burger? He says he wants lower taxes for business and the middle class and will fight like hell to get it, but at the same time, he says that his tax plan is his optimum plan and it will change during negotiations with Democrats.

He doesn't say he won't negotiate on middle class tax cuts. So that's open for discussion? 

No, Trump isn't suggesting that he'll take a little bit less than 38%. He says he fully expects to negotiate a deal wherein the wealthy pay more taxes.
Because one thing he has going for him besides his ability to pick competent people is hes known as a very good negotiator. We have not had one in a long time on the side of the People. 
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline BuckeyeTexan

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 08:07:23 pm »
@Mechanicos

So, as I feared, Trump isn't going to hold the line on middle class tax cuts. Here's what he said in a CNBC Squawk Box interview on Wednesday:

When you put out a tax plan, you are going to start negotiating. You're not going to say, okay, this is our tax plan, lots of luck, folks. There's going to be negotiation back and forth. And I can see that going up, to be honest with you. And I know I am talking to your folks but, you know, in all fairness we are cutting. And during a negotiation I could see that going up. I don't want middle to go up at all. But I could see that going up. And I think that probably will happen, because it's a cut for everybody.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/05/cnbc-excerpts-donald-trump-republican-presidential-candidate-and-trump-organization-chairman-speaks-with-cnbcs-squawk-box-today.html
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:27:10 pm by BuckeyeTexan »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 08:20:05 pm »
Because one thing he has going for him besides his ability to pick competent people is hes known as a very good negotiator....

So he says...

A-Lert

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 08:32:16 pm »
He stands for nothing but himself.  What a disaster.

So raising taxes on the wealthy and lowering taxes on the middle class benefits a billionaire? Can you explain how?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 09:01:24 pm »
‘This Week’ Transcript: Donald Trump

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/week-transcript-donald-trump/story?id=38951757

STEPHANOPOULOS: You say fixing the economy is your number one priority as president. And your tax plan is your more substantive and specific proposal out there. You said recently again that you believe in raising taxes on the wealthy, including yourself, but your plan gives a massive tax cut to the wealthy. How do you square that?

TRUMP: It gives a massive tax cut to everybody. If you look at Larry Kudlow, he said it's a great plan. He loves the plan.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But more to the wealthy than everyone else.

TRUMP: ...George. And I'll say this to people, I've said it many times. I make deals. I negotiate. I put out a plan that has a massive, massive tax -- bigger than any other candidate. We have to negotiate with congress. You know, I'm not going to be able to say, like, President Obama let's do an executive order, OK. It would be wonder, it would be a lot easier, but you just can't do it when you're not supposed to do it.

He may do something -- and what he's done will probably -- much of it will be overturned by the courts. What I'm doing is I'm putting in a plan and that's my maximum plan. It's what I want.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But bottom line, do you want taxes on the wealthy to go up or down?

TRUMP: They will go up a little bit. And they may got up, you know...

STEPHANOPOULOS: But they're going down in your plan.

TRUMP: No, no, in my plan they're going down, but by the time it's negotiated, they'll go up.

Look, when I'm negotiating with the Democrats, I'm putting in plan. I'm putting in my optimum plan. It's going to be negotiated, George, it's not going to stay there. They're not going to say there's your plan, let's approve it. They're going to say, let's see what we can do.

Now, it will be a negotiation. I will try and keep everything -- what I really want is lower on business, because business -- we're the highest taxed nation in the world. And I want lower in the middle class. The middle class in this country is getting decimated. I want -- and I will fight like hell for that.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But people like (INAUDIBLE)...

TRUMP: I don't mind playing...

(CROSSTALK)

STEPHANOPOULOS: -- dichotomy.

TRUMP: I don't mind paying more tax, I'll be honest with you. I don't mind paying more tax. I've done very well over the last 40 years.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But under your plan, you pay less taxes.

TRUMP: But under my plan, it's going to be negotiated. What I'm saying is I will be submitting something like what I did in terms of concept -- because it's just a concept, George.

You know, we're putting in the policy, we're putting in a statement. It's a concept.

And I'll tell you what the real concept is. Lower taxes for business, lower taxes for the middle class, lower taxes for everybody and then we're going to start negotiating.

So if I want to get lower taxes, which is very important for me, I'm not going to put in high taxes and I'm not even going to put in what I necessarily want. I'm going to put in lower than I want and we're going to negotiate.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But in the end, will someone like me or Donald Trump pay more under your tax plan?

TRUMP: I have a feeling we may pay some more. But I'll tell you, the middle class is going to pay a lot less. And I wouldn't mind paying more, George. We've got to do something. I mean I wouldn't mind paying more.

But business will pay less. The middle class will pay less. We're going to bring in our money. You know, the corporate inversion is what's going on is incredible, with the companies leaving. But we have trillions of dollars outside of the country. We have a 10 percent tax on that money. Right now, they can't bring it back in. And by not bringing it back in, George, that's a disaster.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So is that something you're ready to negotiate with the Democrats, even though you're calling for (INAUDIBLE)...

TRUMP: No, but, you know, that -- on that, on the money...

STEPHANOPOULOS: (INAUDIBLE).

TRUMP: -- on the trillions that are out there...

STEPHANOPOULOS: No, on the taxes on the wealthy.

TRUMP: Everybody -- please...

STEPHANOPOULOS: -- you're saying you're willing to pay more.

TRUMP: I'm -- I am willing to pay more.

And do you know what?

The wealthy are willing to pay more. We've had a very good run. You know, we hear all about Obama. We hear all about -- we've had a very good run.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So that would be a big change from your plan.

TRUMP: No, it's not a change, George. It's a negotiation. Remember this, if I could get my plan approved the way it is nice I would be very happy. It's not going to happen, because we have a lot of people that are going to be negotiating this and they don't -- they don't do very well.

The world -- if you look at the United States with tax plans, not a lot happens. It just sort of stays the same. It's a big quagmire.

One of the things I'm getting is big simplification. We're getting the lower rates. We're getting a lot of things. But we're getting massive simplification. We're getting rid of carried interest, which is, you know, not going to make hedge fund people happy.

STEPHANOPOULOS: (INAUDIBLE). But those people are actually going to be paying fewer -- less taxes under your plan because even though you're getting rid of the loophole, you're taxing it as regular income,

TRUMP: We're getting rid of the loophole -- yes, but George, but let...

STEPHANOPOULOS: It's going to go down from 23 to 15 percent.

TRUMP: George, by the time it gets negotiated, it's going to be a different plan. And, you know, I like to be -- I like to have my cards on the table. We're going to submit the optimum. That's what I'd like to get and we'll fight for it.

But from a practical standpoint, it's going to get re-negotiated, and, in my opinion, the taxes for the rich will go up somewhat.

Wow the irony of it all.  The same reason that all those people are suing him for his fraudulent College.  There is no art of the deal.  Just fraudulent negotiations to put the screw to Americans.  His college was the same.  A way to take money from Americans and not provide anything for it.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline BuckeyeTexan

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 09:03:56 pm »
So raising taxes on the wealthy and lowering taxes on the middle class benefits a billionaire? Can you explain how?

It doesn't, of course. The question is whether or not taxes on the middle class will actually be lowered. Trump said on CNBC this past week that middle class taxes will probably go up. WTF?

When you put out a tax plan, you are going to start negotiating. You're not going to say, okay, this is our tax plan, lots of luck, folks. There's going to be negotiation back and forth. And I can see that going up, to be honest with you. And I know I am talking to your folks but, you know, in all fairness we are cutting. And during a negotiation I could see that going up. I don't want middle to go up at all. But I could see that going up. And I think that probably will happen, because it's a cut for everybody.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 09:36:17 pm »
Because one thing he has going for him besides his ability to pick competent people is hes known as a very good negotiator. We have not had one in a long time on the side of the People.

Apparent, only if he has a real life Luca Brasi in the room with him...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:19:52 pm by Gov Bean Counter »

Offline BuckeyeTexan

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 01:23:10 pm »
Bumping so the ABC This Week transcript is on the first page for easier reference.

Smack me upside the head if that isn't allowed.