Author Topic: In reversal, Trump expresses openness to raising minimum wage  (Read 9140 times)

Offline LonestarDream

Re: In reversal, Trump expresses openness to raising minimum wage
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2016, 04:02:40 am »
Economic illiteracy on display for all to see!

Trump had it right the first pass. Unemployment goes up. 

Union wage scale for jobs above the minimum goes up in the related contracts.

For example, if the contract says 2x the minimum wage, contact wage goes from $14.50 to $30 if the minimum wage goes from $7.25 to $15.

Inflation goes up.

Finally, there is SCIENTIFIC proof that the raising the minimum wage kills jobs.

There were two abutting states where the minimum was raised in one but the other.

Very good scientific control.  Of course, unemployment went up in one but not the other state.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2016/02/19/seattles-15-minimum-wage-jobs-down-unemployment-up-this-isnt-working-is-it/#22a614ad3712
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:00:38 pm by LonestarDream »
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2016, 04:10:52 am »
Correct, Median real wages have gone down over the last 15 years according to the Federal Reserve FRED site.

I posted a chart of this a few days ago.

Don't blow smoke up my butt. I work in finance.  Wages have been stagnant or declining for much of the population for at least 12-15 years. .  Notice all the reverse mortgage ads on TV towards retired folks?  Why  is that? We had a decent rise in the 2000's due to the housing bubble  and then it popped.  80-85% of people when they retire have less than $25k saved up.

Don't even get me started on dual income families which have skewed net worth from th eold figures in the 1970's and earlier

I could go on and on.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2016, 04:47:45 am »
When did you get a degree in international economics? We already are going to hell in a hand basket and cannot sustain the loss. Look at our GDP. That will destroy this country. It is going to take what Trump is doing to save this economy. Because it cannot continue as it has especially with Cruz's TPP.

Well I have a degree in Finance and I've worked in the commodities markets in Chicago, and I trade for myself. I've forgotten more about this stuff than you will ever know in two lifetimes. You have no clue what you are talking about.

And Cruz didn't support TPP.
The Republic is lost.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2016, 07:35:07 am »
We tried to warn all you  Branch Trumpidians.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2016, 07:43:54 am »
I'm shocked...SHOCKED I tell you. 

:rolleyes:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2016, 09:28:44 am »
You believe he can overturn the law with an EO?

The use of the word "law" is a clue.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2016, 09:31:16 am »
You believe he can overturn the law with an EO?

What do you think Obama's been doing for the last 8 years?

A-Lert

« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2016, 09:44:55 am »
The use of the word "law" is a clue.

I'm all eyes. Please expand.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2016, 11:02:54 am »
Well I have a degree in Finance and I've worked in the commodities markets in Chicago, and I trade for myself. I've forgotten more about this stuff than you will ever know in two lifetimes. You have no clue what you are talking about.

And Cruz didn't support TPP.
He co-wrote a Wall Street Journal Op-ed with Ryan on it. Look it up. Then Voted to abdicate the Constitutional authority of the Senate to approve Treaties to the executive office.
Churn and Burn does not make one an expert on this subject either.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2016, 12:38:21 pm »
I'm all eyes. Please expand.

Cmon A-lert its really not that hard.  When someone says "the law" they are implying using the Constitutional process where Congress writes a bill, votes on it and then passes it to the President for signature into law.   How many times has Trump talked about working with Congress?   How many times has he said he's gonna do something? 

The office of the President is an extremely powerful position and they can push for new laws.

Whats been happening is the President issues decrees which technically only effect the Executive Branch.  But then those Departments under him change their interpretation of regulations which have the force of law.

Trump is going to use executive orders to do what he wants.  The only working with Congress he'll do will be to push through things like a higher minimum wage or to make it legal for men to use womens restrooms and showers.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Leto

« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2016, 01:12:44 pm »
When did you get a degree in international economics? We already are going to hell in a hand basket and cannot sustain the loss. Look at our GDP. That will destroy this country. It is going to take what Trump is doing to save this economy. Because it cannot continue as it has especially with Cruz's TPP.

Cruz's tax plan would have brought back job, far better than higher min wages and a trade war.

But the ignorant never understood that and went for cheap slogans instead.
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2016, 01:15:05 pm »
Trump had it right the first pass. Unemployment goes up. 

Union wage scale for jobs above the minimum goes up in the related contracts.

For example, if the contract says 2x the minimum wage, contact wage goes from $14.50 to $30 if the minimum wage goes from $7.25 to $15.

Inflation goes up.

Finally, there is SCIENTIFIC proof that the raising the minimum wage kills jobs.

There were two abutting states where the minimum was raised in one but the other.

Very good scientific control.  Of course, unemployment went up in one but not the other state.

[Source]

:amen:  It mostly hurts the very people they say they are trying to help!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2016, 01:48:56 pm »
He co-wrote a Wall Street Journal Op-ed with Ryan on it. Look it up. Then Voted to abdicate the Constitutional authority of the Senate to approve Treaties to the executive office.

And no expertise makes you no expert at all. As I said, I've forgotten more about the subject than you will know in two lifetimes.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2016, 01:52:59 pm »

Cruz's tax plan would have brought back job, far better than higher min wages and a trade war.

But the ignorant never understood that and went for cheap slogans instead.
Cruz's tax plan was a prop. His Owners would never let him do it and you know it. It was put out there to pacify the gullible. Bet you cannot name the 3 donors who were controlling his campaign at the end? BTW. I do have Degrees that include many formal hours of Economics, finance, etc. So please stop trying to blow smoke up my rear.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2016, 01:56:04 pm »
I read that as he wants to create good paying JOBS aka bring back manufacturing jobs which pay higher then minimum wage. Not raise Minimum wage.

Nope.  Here it is again:

In a reversal, Donald Trump expressed openness to raising the minimum wage during an interview on Wednesday.

“I'm looking at that, I'm very different from most Republicans,” Trump told CNN Wednesday about the prospect of raising the minimum wage.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2016, 01:56:56 pm »
Cruz's tax plan was a prop. His Owners would never let him do it and you know it. It was put out there to pacify the gullible. Bet you cannot name the 3 donors who were controlling his campaign at the end? BTW. I do have Degrees that include many formal hours of Economics, finance, etc. So please stop trying to blow smoke up my rear.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2016, 01:58:09 pm »
Cruz's tax plan was a prop. His Owners would never let him do it and you know it. It was put out there to pacify the gullible. Bet you cannot name the 3 donors who were controlling his campaign at the end?

That's BS on its face.  Stop with the conspiracy crap, OK?  This isn't JimRob country.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:03:50 pm by ScottinVA »

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2016, 02:02:22 pm »
This is some recent data from the Seattle raise that shows restaurant jobs disappearing.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2016/02/19/seattles-15-minimum-wage-jobs-down-unemployment-up-this-isnt-working-is-it/#22a614ad3712

:amen:  It mostly hurts the very people they say they are trying to help!

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2016, 02:05:08 pm »
Pretty compelling evidence.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2016, 02:09:59 pm »

And if you read the article, you will also note that they are promoting TPA, not TPP. They are two separate things. The former covers all trade deals, the latter the specific trade deal. Also note that in the end Cruz voted against TPA.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2016, 02:10:24 pm »
Nope.  Here it is again:

In a reversal, Donald Trump expressed openness to raising the minimum wage during an interview on Wednesday.

“I'm looking at that, I'm very different from most Republicans,” Trump told CNN Wednesday about the prospect of raising the minimum wage.

Nothing in there says what you said. And its dishonest to leave off the rest where he pointed out his plan was to bring high paying jobs back and that the min wage made us not competitive.

See The interviewer said that. Not Trump. All he said was he would look at the Minimum wage issue. In context with the complaint of how it makes us less competitive it can also be taken to mean he is going to look at it to reduce or eliminate it. Adding to what he actually said is not legit.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2016, 02:13:13 pm »
I read that as he wants to create good paying JOBS aka bring back manufacturing jobs which pay higher then minimum wage. Not raise Minimum wage.

As with most Trump acolytes, you read what you want to read and hear what you want to hear.   

You also "read" that Trump's asserted that rumors of Cruz' father being involved with Lee Harvey Oswald were "crazy" - when it was obvious to everyone not Trump-addled that he considered the lack of media coverage of Cruz' father's involvement as being "crazy".

That's where we're at with this Cult of Personality insanity.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:16:17 pm by ArneFufkin »

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2016, 02:15:08 pm »
And if you read the article, you will also note that they are promoting TPA, not TPP. They are two separate things. The former covers all trade deals, the latter the specific trade deal. Also note that in the end Cruz voted against TPA.
Because people like me hammered him on his Globalist push.
Who is Ted Cruz?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXcYCwaBKnQ&app=desktop
We dodged a bullet with him dropping out. Trump puts a wrench into the Establishment's plans for the North American Union.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2016, 02:16:00 pm »
As with most Trump acolytes, you read what you want to read and hear what you want to hear.   

You also "read" that Trump's assertions that rumors of Cruz' father being involved with Lee Harvey Oswald were "crazy" when it was obvious to everyone not Trump-addled that he considered the lack of coverage of Cruz' father's involvement as being "crazy".

That's where we're at with this Cult of Personality insanity.
I take forum slides like you just did as admissions I am right.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2016, 02:17:19 pm »
I take forum slides like you just did as admissions I am right.

I'm sure you do. 

I'm tired of dealing with clowns around here.