Author Topic: Priebus: Too Late for Third-Party Candidate to Launch Campaign  (Read 702 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The chances of a contested convention this summer have "plateaued," but talk of anyone making a third-party run for the White House is "something media likes to spin," Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus said Sunday.

"It's never going to work [and] it's never going to happen," Priebus told ABC News' George Stephanopoulos on the "This Week" program.  "They're already behind the eight-ball, and in some states, they may not be able to get on the ballot."
Further he said that by the time the Republican National Convention comes to Cleveland in July, it will "definitely be too late" for a third-party candidate to launch a campaign.

Breaking News at Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/reince-priebus-too-late-third-party-presidential/2016/04/24/id/725448/#ixzz46lmkrg5H
Urgent: Rate Obama on His Job Performance. Vote Here Now!

Offline libertybele

Re: Priebus: Too Late for Third-Party Candidate to Launch Campaign
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 07:02:35 pm »
Thanks for the post ... something I really had forgotten.  Much too late for a 3rd party run.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 07:06:56 pm »
Thanks for the post ... something I really had forgotten.  Much too late for a 3rd party run.

Wow.  So the earliest next shot for Cruz is 2024.   :shrug:

Offline ABX

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 07:47:43 pm »
This really applies to existing candidates switching to a new third party or non affiliated ticket. Due to ballot access, the Libertarians and Greens both have access in at least 30 States each. A candidate could unify with one of those parties (D or R facing it). It may not be the specific candidate one wants, but it would provide an alternative to D's or R's who don't feel represented.

If, for example, a candidate decides to run independent as a disruptive candidate, they could probably get on the ballot in a half dozen states, enough to split the party vote enough but not provide a viable alternative in the electoral college.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 08:13:48 pm »
This really applies to existing candidates switching to a new third party or non affiliated ticket. Due to ballot access, the Libertarians and Greens both have access in at least 30 States each. A candidate could unify with one of those parties (D or R facing it). It may not be the specific candidate one wants, but it would provide an alternative to D's or R's who don't feel represented.

If, for example, a candidate decides to run independent as a disruptive candidate, they could probably get on the ballot in a half dozen states, enough to split the party vote enough but not provide a viable alternative in the electoral college.
Greens and Libertarians would not combine well.

Greens would run on free marijuana provided by the government, while Libertarians would prefer individuals could freely purchase marijuana.

They would probably both agree that our conflicts with islam, are our own fault, hence we should reduce our capability to defend ourselves.

Usually 3rd parties are exercises in mental masturbation.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 08:21:37 pm »
Greens and Libertarians would not combine well.

Greens would run on free marijuana provided by the government, while Libertarians would prefer individuals could freely purchase marijuana.

They would probably both agree that our conflicts with islam, are our own fault, hence we should reduce our capability to defend ourselves.

Usually 3rd parties are exercises in mental masturbation.

I didn't mean that as a combined ticket. Just that they are an alternative for either party whose members don't feel they have a home.  Normally I think you are right regarding 3rd parties, but this year is very unique so we'll see.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 08:43:56 pm »
I didn't mean that as a combined ticket. Just that they are an alternative for either party whose members don't feel they have a home.  Normally I think you are right regarding 3rd parties, but this year is very unique so we'll see.
I remember 2000 and Free Republic. The place was really, really strong for Buchanan.

Quite a few freepers posted as if they truly expected his 3rd party effort, to win. In fact Buchanan won 0.5%

I was able to learn from that a lesson: The volume on political hobby sites is NOT a reflection of "real life."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln