Author Topic: Priebus slams Never Trump movement, calls for GOP unity  (Read 7816 times)

Offline Lando Lincoln

Priebus slams Never Trump movement, calls for GOP unity
« on: April 23, 2016, 02:48:36 am »
Priebus slams Never Trump movement, calls for GOP unity
April 22, 2016
Harper Neidig

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/gop-primaries/277265-priebus-we-arent-going-to-hand-the-nomination-to-anyone-with-a

Republican National Committee (RNC) Chairman Reince Priebus on Friday called for Republicans to unite ahead of the presidential election, striking back against the Never Trump movement.

“It is essential to victory in November that we all support our candidate,” Priebus said at the RNC’s spring meeting in Hollywood, Fla.

“This goes for everyone, whether you’re a county party chairman, an RNC member, or a presidential candidate. Politics is a team sport, and we can’t win unless we rally around whoever becomes our nominee,” he added, drawing applause from the audience.

“They’re trying out for our team. No one is forcing them to wear our jersey. We expect our candidates to support our party and our eventual nominee.”

The comments seemed pointed at the growing movement of conservatives who insist they won’t back Donald Trump if he’s the GOP nominee.

Priebus also promised that the nominating process at July's Republican National Convention in Cleveland would be “fair, democratic and transparent,” and that the GOP would not give the nomination to anyone who does not secure a majority of delegates.

“As our nomination process goes on, we are preparing for all possible scenarios. We might have a nominee by July. Or we might have a nominee through the balloting process at the convention,” he said.

“The rules say you have to have 1,237 delegates to be the nominee. We aren’t going to hand the nomination to anyone with a plurality, no matter how close they are to 1,237. You need a majority. Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.”

The comments were an apparent shot at Trump, who has decried the delegate system as “rigged” against him by establishment forces.

Trump leads the GOP field in delegates, but he may fall short of the 1,237 required to clinch the nomination before the convention. The front-runner has said that he should be the nominee even if he only receives a plurality of delegates.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

geronl

Re: Priebus slams Never Trump movement, calls for GOP unity
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 02:56:28 am »
Prince Reevus.... NOBODY likes you.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 06:26:50 am »
“It is essential to victory in November that we all support our candidate,” Priebus said at the RNC’s spring meeting in Hollywood, Fla.

Victory with Trump is a hollow victory.  It is like winning a 4 year supply of feces.  I'll give up the prize.

A-Lert

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 07:08:37 am »
Prince Reevus.... NOBODY likes you.

You're just filled with hatred, aren't you?

geronl

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 07:13:45 am »
You're just filled with hatred, aren't you?

Apparently the Trump-side likes him. Who knew..  :shrug:

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 07:18:09 am »
Nice to see Dunce Priebus finally look at his internal polling and seeing the Cruz bribing delegates the he didn't earn via a vote will destroy the GOPe not only on the presidential ticket, but also down the ticket as well.  May as well play nice with The Donald and if he loses, at least the party isn't in complete shambles and we can try again in 2020.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 07:18:48 am by AnybodyButaDem »
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

A-Lert

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 07:22:58 am »
Apparently the Trump-side likes him. Who knew..  :shrug:

I don't know about the "Trump-side" but I don't hate him. I've never met him, but he is a Republican just like all the GOP candidates.  Why do you hate Republicans?

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 07:25:26 am »
I don't know about the "Trump-side" but I don't hate him. I've never met him, but he is a Republican just like all the GOP candidates.  Why do you hate Republicans?

I've seen the word "hate" used by both Arne and geron tonight as they have their respective meltdowns.  Everybody posting here is just a small and insignificant voter in the grand scheme of things.  Why are they so angry?  Their GOPe candidates the past two presidential elections didn't even try to win.

A-Lert

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 07:35:00 am »
I've seen the word "hate" used by both Arne and geron tonight as they have their respective meltdowns.  Everybody posting here is just a small and insignificant voter in the grand scheme of things.  Why are they so angry?  Their GOPe candidates the past two presidential elections didn't even try to win.

Milquetoast Mitt campaigned like he really didn't want to win. He showed no enthusiasm or fight. We finally get a candidate with energy, enthusiasm and fight and the so-called Republicans bash him mercilessly.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 08:22:32 pm »
There is no victory with Trump.  It would be like victory with the mafia.  I want no part of it.

I feel like my party is threatening to break my legs if I don't comply with 4 more years of Obama policy.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 08:27:57 pm »
I feel like my party is threatening to break my legs if I don't comply with 4 more years of Obama policy.

"Luke.....the 'drama queen' is strong with this one"!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 08:29:15 pm »
Nice to see Dunce Priebus finally look at his internal polling and seeing the Cruz bribing delegates the he didn't earn via a vote will destroy the GOPe not only on the presidential ticket, but also down the ticket as well.  May as well play nice with The Donald and if he loses, at least the party isn't in complete shambles and we can try again in 2020.
Bribing delegates?  How can he do that if he has to run to the donor class for money every time?

Get your attack points together, people!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 08:29:51 pm »
United we stand divided we fall.  So be it I guess we fall.  I would rather do that than continue to go down the same path as we are with Obama.  Trump is more of the same.  If they throw out a liberal for us then it is not our fault.

#NeverTrump
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:30:19 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 08:42:43 pm »
We are uniting behind #NeverTrump.  Others will do what they will do.

Yes we are! 

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2016, 10:29:16 pm »
We are uniting behind #NeverTrump.  Others will do what they will do.

Groupthink is an interesting thing to witness.

A-Lert

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2016, 10:33:15 pm »
Groupthink is an interesting thing to witness.

The "Stupid Party" just keeps shooting itself in the foot.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2016, 10:34:53 pm »
The "Stupid Party" just keeps shooting itself in the foot.

The GOPe prefers Clinton over either Trump or Cruz.  We've heard GOPe donors and some pols even say this aloud.

I feel bad for the Cruz supporters who are being duped by the GOPe long con as Ted runs around the country like the Grinch stealing delegates earned by others, and in the process ruins his national career in politics.

He seems to be a perfectly willing stooge in this ruse, too, which makes no sense.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 10:36:40 pm by AnybodyButaDem »

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 01:48:47 am »
United we stand divided we fall.  So be it I guess we fall.  I would rather do that than continue to go down the same path as we are with Obama.  Trump is more of the same.  If they throw out a liberal for us then it is not our fault.

#NeverTrump

Actually ... IF Trump gets the nomination he will lose to Hillary ... there will be a whole lot of us UNITING as we fall! 

I for one will not surrender and still believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed, a democracy in a republic, a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.   I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies.
[/i]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 01:50:23 am by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2016, 01:57:14 am »
Actually ... IF Trump gets the nomination he will lose to Hillary ... there will be a whole lot of us UNITING as we fall! 

I for one will not surrender and still believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed, a democracy in a republic, a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.   I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies.
[/i]

I think that is exactly what politicians have forgotten.  That the United States is by the people, for the people.  They are greedy and they pander to aliens.  We are not allowed to give consent any longer.  Obama with his executive actions bypass the elected officials.  If we get Trump or Hillary it will be the same.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2016, 02:03:29 am »
I think that is exactly what politicians have forgotten.  That the United States is by the people, for the people.  They are greedy and they pander to aliens.  We are not allowed to give consent any longer.  Obama with his executive actions bypass the elected officials.  If we get Trump or Hillary it will be the same.

Most importantly "We the People" have forgotten.  This is OUR country, not the politicians.  Trump may very well end up being the nominee, but he won't be president.  We allowed the dismantling of this country by Barrack Hussein Obama ... are the masses going to continue to allow the same under Hillary Rodham Clinton??
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2016, 02:12:16 am »
Most importantly "We the People" have forgotten.  This is OUR country, not the politicians.  Trump may very well end up being the nominee, but he won't be president.  We allowed the dismantling of this country by Barrack Hussein Obama ... are the masses going to continue to allow the same under Hillary Rodham Clinton??

Trump may become the nominee but he won't be President.  If Hillary becomes president it is the Trump followers that will be to blame.  We don't elect liberals.  I honestly don't know anymore what the masses will allow.  We are living in the time when evil is good and honesty is bad.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2016, 02:19:51 am »
Trump may become the nominee but he won't be President.  If Hillary becomes president it is the Trump followers that will be to blame.  We don't elect liberals.  I honestly don't know anymore what the masses will allow.  We are living in the time when evil is good and honesty is bad.

Agreed.  I am still of the belief that good will eventually triumph over evil. 

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2016, 02:23:05 am »
Trump may become the nominee but he won't be President.  If Hillary becomes president it is the Trump followers that will be to blame. 

You sound like a Democrat.  Blaming others for your own failings.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2016, 02:24:38 am »
Can I blame the McRomney supporters, then, for my candidates losing in the primaries and giving up Barack Obama?

I somehow doubt the anti-Trumps would accept that same excuse with the finger pointed at them.  That was with those GOPe supporters haranguing everyone they could on the internet in "conservative" forums to be a good Republican and vote for those losers.

The hypocrisy of some of you just amazes me.  Do you lack all self-awareness?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 02:26:05 am by AnybodyButaDem »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2016, 02:26:11 am »
Agreed.  I am still of the belief that good will eventually triumph over evil.

Good will triumph over evil.