Author Topic: Obama to Become First President to Visit Hiroshima: Nikkei  (Read 2274 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=725221

Newsmax
Obama to Become First President to Visit Hiroshima: Nikkei
Friday, April 22, 2016 06:45 AM

By: Andy Sharp

More than 70 years after a U.S. atomic bomb devastated the city of Hiroshima, Barack Obama is set to become the first sitting president to pay tribute to the tens of thousands of victims in the western Japanese city, the Nikkei business daily reported Friday.

Obama will be accompanied by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on the visit planned to take place after Japan hosts a summit of Group of 7 leaders in late May, the Nikkei said, citing unidentified U.S. officials.

The visit, if confirmed, would follow a trip by Secretary of State John Kerry earlier this month to the site that commemorates one of the final acts of World War II. Kerry toured the city’s Atomic Bomb Dome and peace museum, calling the graphic images of the bombing’s aftermath a “gut-wrenching display.”

Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told reporters in Tokyo on Friday that Obama’s schedule was a matter for U.S. authorities, and there was no truth to the report that both countries were making arrangements for the visit.

The bombing of Hiroshima on August 6, 1945, and of Nagasaki three days later, is widely viewed in the U.S. as having prevented a bloodier land battle and hastening the end of the Pacific War. A trip by the president could stir controversy at home and trigger debate among the candidates seeking to succeed him.

The Nikkei said Obama is likely to take care to ensure the visit does not appear apologetic, and is expected to make a speech calling for a world without nuclear weapons.

“It is high time that a sitting U.S. president paid respects at Hiroshima to strengthen ties, boost U.S. moral authority on history issues and to give much-needed momentum to Obama’s nuclear agenda,” said Jeff Kingston, director of Asian studies at Temple University in Japan. “It seems quite a long time ago that he won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize for a speech in Prague about eradicating nuclear arsenals.”

Hiroshima Declaration

At an April 10-11 meeting in the city, G-7 foreign ministers issued a “Hiroshima Declaration” calling for creating a “world without nuclear weapons in a way that promotes international stability.” Japan sees momentum toward nonproliferation as slowing, and the government had been keen to use the Hiroshima meeting to put the issue at the top of the G-7 agenda.

About 80,000 people were killed instantly when the Enola Gay, a B-29 bomber, dropped the device on Hiroshima. Tens of thousands more died from injuries and exposure to radiation. Among those who survived, many are still receiving government support.

The subsequent strike on Nagasaki killed an estimated 40,000 people and led to an unprecedented radio address six days later by Emperor Hirohito in which he announced Japan’s unconditional surrender, citing the devastating power of a “new and most cruel bomb.”

Anti-nuclear and pacifist sentiment are strong in Japan, where passions ran high last year when Abe pushed through parliament legislation to expand the role of the country’s military. While covered by the U.S.’s so-called nuclear umbrella, Japan in 1967 adopted three non-nuclear principles that state the country shall not possess, produce or permit the introduction of nuclear weapons into Japanese territory.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

Re: Obama to Become First President to Visit Hiroshima: Nikkei
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 01:52:44 pm »
The Nikkei said Obama is likely to take care to ensure the visit does not appear apologetic

Yeah............. right.

He's probably sorry we won WWII and saved all those American lives.  He won't be able to help himself.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 06:27:46 pm »
Obama's "Apologize for America Farewell World Tour" is doubtless heading into full swing this next 7 months.

I anticipate him landing in Tehran and offering himself prostrate to Khamenei as his tour de force sometime in January.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 06:28:35 pm by ArneFufkin »

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 06:48:12 pm »
If I had a time machine to send Obozo anywhere, I would set it for 8:15 a.m. on August 6, 1945 so he could deliver it at a more meaningful moment.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 07:02:47 pm »
Just 70 years too late. Darn. Missed it by *that* much!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 07:07:00 pm »
Just 70 years too late. Darn. Missed it by *that* much!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 07:10:05 pm »
If I had a time machine to send Obozo anywhere, I would set it for 8:15 a.m. on August 6, 1945 so he could deliver it at a more meaningful moment.

I wish he was arriving in Hiroshima the same way.  :whistle:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 07:16:57 pm »
I wish he was arriving in Hiroshima the same way.  :whistle:

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 07:36:50 pm »
Yep he is going to apologize. Will he withdraw our troops out of Japan too?  **nononono*

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 07:39:43 pm »
Yep he is going to apologize. Will he withdraw our troops out of Japan too?  **nononono*

I never thought of that.  I'll bet he will!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 07:43:09 pm »

Yeeeeehaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!
Slim Sickens, right?  :silly:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Leto

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 07:55:16 pm »
Not sure about Hiroshma, my preference would be for a visit to Unit 731 in Manchuria so he could get a first Han appreciation of what we were fighting against.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

Offline flowers

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 08:02:16 pm »
I never thought of that.  I'll bet he will!
Yes.....it has been a sore spot in Japan for years. Obama can say he is doing the right thing....thus helping out China.

Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 08:47:34 pm »
Yeeeeehaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!
Slim Sickens, right?  :silly:

yep!  Slim's body....Obama's mug!   :)

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 08:48:22 pm »
:beer:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Charlespg

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 10:02:48 pm »
:whistle:
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton