Author Topic: Trump: I'm So Happy China Is Upset; "They Have Waged Economic War Against Us"  (Read 1828 times)

HAPPY2BME

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/04/17/trump_im_so_happy_china_is_upset_with_me.html
By Tim Hains
Posted on April 17, 2016

Trump responded Sunday at a rally in Staten Island, NY, saying that over the course of the past thirty years, China has "waged an economic war against [the United States]."

"You have to look at my response to China," Trump said excitedly. "Because it is what someone has to say. Because we can't continue to get ripped off like we're being ripped off. You've got to look at it... I'm not talking about war. But they have waged economic war against us."

"And I'm not angry about China, in fact I respect them... I'm angry at our leaders for being so incompetent that they allow it to happen. And I said this as part of my response to the Wall Street Journal when they just called. I said, in the history of the world, this is the greatest theft ever perpetrated by anyone or any country, what China has done to us."

"I see the empty buildings all over Staten Island," he said. "I see them all over... Really really sad. That's not going to happen anymore with me."

"The truth is, we have all the cards," Trump said.

Offline sinkspur

"The truth is, we have all the cards," Trump said.

The con artist and his phony "economic war," blaming China for every ill, just as he blames "bosses" for his incompetence at obtaining delegates.

Trump is an economic ignoramus when it comes to trade, supply chains, and globalization.  But his marks fall for everything that comes out of his mouth.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The con artist and his phony "economic war," blaming China for every ill...

Come on, Sink.  You're not even making sense.  He doesn't blame China (or Japan. or Mexico or Vietnam).  Trump understands that the leaders in those countries made terrific, smart economic deals for their interests--at the expense of ours.  It has been an undeclared war against our economic.  We need not be afraid to admit this any longer.  With Trump at the helm this is a war we will win.

Trump is an economic ignoramus when it comes to trade, supply chains, and globalization.  But his marks fall for everything that comes out of his mouth.

Trump is a brilliant and successful leader running a brilliant and successful GLOBAL enterprise.  Calling Trump an "economic ignoramus" greatly diminishes your credibility and perceived intelligence.  I just thought you would want to know this.

Offline kevindavis007

I would like to know when was the last time that raising tariffs actually worked.. 
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline sinkspur

Come on, Sink.  You're not even making sense.  He doesn't blame China (or Japan. or Mexico or Vietnam).  Trump understands that the leaders in those countries made terrific, smart economic deals for their interests--at the expense of ours.  It has been an undeclared war against our economic.  We need not be afraid to admit this any longer.  With Trump at the helm this is a war we will win.

Trump is a brilliant and successful leader running a brilliant and successful GLOBAL enterprise.  Calling Trump an "economic ignoramus" greatly diminishes your credibility and perceived intelligence.  I just thought you would want to know this.

Trump knows nothing about manufacturing except how to sign deals with China to manufacture his cheap suits and ties.  It makes no sense to have Americans doing grunt work when that same work can be done for half or less than it would cost here. 

Trump is not going to bring any jobs back because Congress is not going to go along with any tariffs.  So there will be no trade war.

You guys are so gullible.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I would like to know when was the last time that raising tariffs actually worked..

Depends on what you mean by "worked".

If you mean when was the last time they worked to correct trade imbalances the answer would be never!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

How did these do?

Ronald Reagan:  100% tariff on selected Japanese electronics in 1987

Ronald Reagan:  45% tariff over 5 years on Japanese heavy motorcyles

Ronald Reagan:  Raised tariffs on Canadian lumber and cedar shingles

Ronald Reagan:  Forced Japan to accept restraints on auto exports. The agreement set total Japanese auto exports at 1.68 million vehicles in 1981-82, 8 percent below 1980 exports

geronl

Trump is all talk and then he doesn't even show up for the actual work

That's just silly, Sink.  So very you.   :laugh:

Trump is all talk and then he doesn't even show up for the actual work

And your opinions have what to do with the actual topic of the thread?   :pondering:

Offline sinkspur

It never has.  Obama imposed tariffs against Chinese tires in 2010 and it had little effect since the Chinese subsidize their tire business.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
How did these do?

Ronald Reagan:  Forced Japan to accept restraints on auto exports. The agreement set total Japanese auto exports at 1.68 million vehicles in 1981-82, 8 percent below 1980 exports

Not worth a damn unless you consider punishing the consumers of those things a good thing!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Not worth a damn unless you consider punishing the consumers of those things a good thing!

Are you saying Reagan was wrong?

Offline kevindavis007

Yes, sorry I don't want to pay $2000 for a tv, or $1000 for a smart phone..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline AnybodyButaDem

Trump knows nothing about manufacturing except how to sign deals with China to manufacture his cheap suits and ties.  It makes no sense to have Americans doing grunt work when that same work can be done for half or less than it would cost here. 

Trump is not going to bring any jobs back because Congress is not going to go along with any tariffs.  So there will be no trade war.

So what's your solution?  Vote for the known globalist Kasich?  May as well take a chance on Trump honoring his word than more of the same from the GOPe and Kasich.  Not a very convincing argument - Trump may not do what he says, and Kasich certainly will keep the status quo, so vote Kasich?
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Offline AnybodyButaDem

Yes, sorry I don't want to pay $2000 for a tv, or $1000 for a smart phone..

Then bust up the unions.

Also, sinkspur's argument about Trump outsourcing would be one that you seem to agree with, if that's the way you're thinking.
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

On this particular economic issue YES!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
So what's your solution?  Vote for the known globalist Kasich?  May as well take a chance on Trump honoring his word than more of the same from the GOPe and Kasich.  Not a very convincing argument - Trump may not do what he says, and Kasich certainly will keep the status quo, so vote Kasich?

My solution is none of the things you mentioned! MY solution would be to put our OWN house in order and then watch the rest of the world try to catch up!

MY solution would be to enact the Fairtax (HR25) TODAY but, failing that, Ted Cruz's tax proposal is a very good start!

http://fairtax.org

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline kevindavis007

Then bust up the unions.

Also, sinkspur's argument about Trump outsourcing would be one that you seem to agree with, if that's the way you're thinking.

Unions are not going to get broken up. Plain and simple.  What is going to happen is that factories will be 95 - 100 % automated. Also with 3D printing, there will be less need for factories. Sorry but people working in the factories for life is over and it is never coming back.

On this particular economic issue YES!

Wow.  Under the bus goes Ronald Reagan for the Cruz cause.      under the bus888

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Wow.  Under the bus goes Ronald Reagan for the Cruz cause.      under the bus888

Because I disagree with him on this single issue does not constitute throwing him under the bus but I know I'm wasting my breath telling YOU that!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

No. #NeverTrump.

Offline kevindavis007

Because I disagree with him on this single issue does not constitute throwing him under the bus but I know I'm wasting my breath telling YOU that!

I also remember in the late 80's in how people like Buchanan was bitching and moaning in how Reagan wasn't doing anything about the Japanese.

HAPPY2BME

How did these do?

===================================

And who is the most likely to act like Ronald Reagan from the current GOP offerings?

Answer:  Donald Trump

And yes, tariffs DO work.  They just aren't popular with globalist elitist wolves in Republican clothing.

Offline sinkspur

Where are effing Trump's tax returns?  Every other candidate has released their returns.  Trump is hoping nobody notices he hasn't.