Author Topic: One-third of U.S. Army and Air Force facilities will be unneeded by 2019, Pentagon estimates  (Read 695 times)

rangerrebew

One-third of U.S. Army and Air Force facilities will be unneeded by 2019, Pentagon estimates

Reuters

One-third of U.S. Army and Air Force facilities will be unneeded by 2019, Pentagon estimates

Apr 16, 2016

WASHINGTON – A new Pentagon analysis of U.S. military bases and facilities estimates that one-third of U.S. Army and Air Force infrastructure will be unneeded by 2019, wasting resources at a time of tight budgets, a military spokesman said on Friday.

The analysis found the U.S. Defense Department overall had an excess infrastructure capacity of 22 percent, U.S. Navy Capt. Jeff Davis, a Pentagon spokesman, told a briefing. The estimate of surplus capacity was based on force levels that the department expects to have by the 2019 fiscal year.

“We must close military bases to avoid spending money on bases we don’t need,” Davis told the briefing.

The figures from the analysis were included in a letter to Congress by Deputy Defense Secretary Robert Work in advance of a larger report supporting the Pentagon’s requests for permission to close some of its operations under a process known as base realignment and closure (BRAC).

Work’s letter said the new analysis found that the army had 33 percent excess capacity, the air force had 32 percent surplus facilities, the navy had 7.0 percent too much and the Defense Logistics Agency had 12 percent.

The Pentagon has been seeking to eliminate its surplus bases and facilities for several years to help it respond to orders to reduce projected spending by nearly a trillion dollars over a decade.

Lawmakers have repeatedly rejected the request because closing bases is politically unpopular and can have damaging economic consequences for communities around military bases.

Lawmakers are also skeptical of the cost-savings advantages of closing bases, in part because the last BRAC round cost far more than expected due to more realignment of basing than actual closure of surplus space.

Work, in his April 12 letter to lawmakers, said the current fiscal constraints faced by the Pentagon mean the department is having to cut spending at all installations, regardless of their military value.

“A better alternative is to close or realign installations with the lowest military value,” he said in the letter.

He said the department had submitted a proposal on base realignment that promised the focus of a new BRAC round would be on cutting excess capacity and reducing costs, with net savings obtained within five years.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 09:07:02 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I have an idea. Since this is one of the reasons the Federal Government has to own land, how about keeping the bases we have in case of the need arising, and selling off some of the millions of acres of pasture land and timber the government is keeping out of production? Then put the money toward maintaining the bases.

Otherwise, sweetheart deals like the Long Beach Shipyard enrich political cronies and the military ends up sucking hind teat while the rest of us get fenced out or shut down when it comes to using the land we all own.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline flowers

Translation.....we must make sure no US military around to protect America and its people. Caliphate for all.

Offline Smokin Joe

I don't trust this.  Neither do I see how they can know the future.  In regards to military, don't you want to always have more than your current need, just in case.  Isn't that the point.  You hope you won't use it, but if you need it it is there?

Aside from the possibilities for cronyism to creep into the process, I'd rather have our guys have the training, equipment, facilities, personnel, and supplies to do the most unimaginably tough jobs X2 at the same time in different places--at least. This (providing for the common defense) is one of the Constitutionally Authorized tasks of the Federal Government (right in the preamble).

There is so much else that the Federal Government is whizzing our tax money and economic future away on that is not Constitutionally Authorized except by the most severe contortions of that document and original intent, that merely cutting some small fraction of that dross from the budget would provide the necessary resources and leave a pile of change left over.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Translation.....we must make sure no US military around to protect America and its people. Caliphate for all.

Behind every blade of grass...

C S Lewis

geronl

Members of Congress slip things into unrelated bills to force the military to keep bases in their districts open even if there is no need for them.

Bill Cipher

If we get rid of all the "excess" then what do we do when we need to ramp things back up?  You can't just grab all the land back and convert it back into useable bases in a few days. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
flowers wrote above:
"Translation.....we must make sure no US military around to protect America and its people. Caliphate for all."

You nailed it.
No armed forces = no ability to fight back.

We're headed the way of Canada -- an incredible disappearing military...!

I can think of one good possibility, however. If the time comes for the citizen-militia to rise up and "restore" the American government, there won't be enough men or equipment left to stop 'em!

Offline Smokin Joe

If we get rid of all the "excess" then what do we do when we need to ramp things back up?  You can't just grab all the land back and convert it back into useable bases in a few days.

Very true. Keep the Constitutionally authorized military bases, and let go of some of the 50% of the US west of the Mississippi River the Federal Government owns. Put that land back into production, generate some revenue, and maintain and /or upgrade the bases

C S Lewis

HonestJohn

Just remember...

... if we aren't going to pay for a large and strong military capable of meeting our obligations to our allies worldwide, we aren't going to have a large and strong military capable of meeting our obligations to our allies worldwide.

Sequestration and the government shutdown of 2013 really hurt our ability to meet these requirements. 

This is just our military's way of cutting down to meet budget numbers.