Author Topic: Porter Ranch Residents Are Still Getting Sick Weeks After Gas Leak Was Fixed  (Read 780 times)

rangerrebew

Porter Ranch Residents Are Still Getting Sick Weeks After Gas Leak Was Fixed

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/porter-ranch-residents-are-still-getting-sick-weeks-after-gas-leak-was-fixed_032016

March 27, 2016 | Joshua Krause | The Daily Sheeple | 1,853 views

Just as the Aliso Canyon gas leak dumped a million barrels of natural gas per day for months with almost no media attention, the underground storage facility was finally capped on February 18th with little fanfare. Most people are completely unaware that it was fixed, or that an environmental disaster had even occurred in the first place. But despite the fact that the gas leak has supposedly been fixed for over 6 weeks, it seems like the residents of Porter Ranch have never been so sick.

According to the Los Angeles County Public Health Department “Some residents, however, are currently reporting symptoms similar to those experienced throughout the 16-week period that gases were being released from Well SS-25. These symptoms include headache; stomach upset; dizziness; and eye, nose, and skin irritation, sometimes in the absence of odors.” In total, the Health Department received 700 complaints within two weeks after the gas leak was capped.

One Porter Ranch resident admitted “My sons, Jayden and Mason, have been getting bloody noses, headaches, upset stomachs, burning eyes, runny nose, dry skin.” Another resident explained that many of her worst symptoms disappear when she leaves her house, and reappear when she comes home. “My partner has had headaches, fatigue, and a burning sensation in his chest at the same time I have. Our cat has had a nosebleed and vomited. When I am away from home, the headache goes away instantly. The cough and nosebleed stay for a while, and are gone after.”

Clearly, something is not right here. Either the leak was not really fixed or some of the chemicals that polluted the environment are still lingering. Somehow I doubt all these people are deluding themselves.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 12:51:01 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

They thought it was going to be like a fart on a windy day?  The Battle of Gettysburg was fought in early July.  When Lincoln gave the Gettysburg address in mid November, the stench was still palpable.  This has leaked longer and with at least as much intensity as the unburied dead at Gettysbburg.

Offline flowers

Just amazing. The worst gas leak in the history here and the media...........***crickets*** Proof that global warming is a hoax. If they cared about it they would be all over this.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Porter Ranch Residents Are Still Getting Sick Weeks After Gas Leak Was Fixed

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/porter-ranch-residents-are-still-getting-sick-weeks-after-gas-leak-was-fixed_032016

March 27, 2016 | Joshua Krause | The Daily Sheeple | 1,853 views

Just as the Aliso Canyon gas leak dumped a million barrels of natural gas per day for months with almost no media attention, the underground storage facility was finally capped on February 18th with little fanfare. Most people are completely unaware that it was fixed, or that an environmental disaster had even occurred in the first place. But despite the fact that the gas leak has supposedly been fixed for over 6 weeks, it seems like the residents of Porter Ranch have never been so sick.
>SNIP<

Clearly, something is not right here. Either the leak was not really fixed or some of the chemicals that polluted the environment are still lingering. Somehow I doubt all these people are deluding themselves.

First off, Natural Gas is not measured in barrels. It is measured in MCF, or units of a Thousand Cubic Feet. Doing a little research, according to wikipedia, >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliso_Canyon_gas_leak<
the article gives the information in a slew of industry useless units like car equivalent or cow equivalent greenhouse effect per day, but the number of sustained kg/hour is given as being 30,300 kilograms per hour. In cubic feet of methane at 44.25 pounds per thousand cubic feet (MCF), that is roughly 1500 MCF an hour (1.5 million cubic feet) or 1.5MMCF. That's a hell of a lot of methane and may include relatively small amounts of other gasses as well.

Natural Gas may typically include
95.84% V = Methane
2.02% V = Ethane
0.47% V = Propane
0.09% V = i-Butane
0.08% V = n-Butane
0.03% V = i-Pentane
0.02% V = n-Pentane
1.13% V = Carbon Dioxide
0.30% V = Nitrogen
May be some mercaptan...
benzene may be present as well.
in percentages by volume as a gas.

These gasses, and especially the mercaptans (which give Natural Gas the stink people use to detect leaks) can induce the symptoms people are having, and depending on the geology of the area, the gas and the mercaptans may have permeated the subsurface and near surface strata, including any aquifers in the area. If that isn't purged, it may take time to dissipate, which means people will continue to suffer ill effects in the area until that occurs (either naturally, or by pumping Nitrogen into the ground with shallow wells designed to displace that gas from permeable rock).

Considering the magnitude and duration of the leak, soil contamination in the area may be considerable, again depending on the geology.

I'm not pooh-pooing the symptoms, in fact, they make sense, considering the incident. If contamination persists, methane, ethane, propane, or other hydrocarbons plus the mercaptans added in, will give symptoms like those described to people exposed.

What should be done? Get someone in there with portable gas detection equipment to check for gas, in the soil, water, or ambient air. Basements should be checked as well. Sewers may have methane present under normal circumstances, but may indicate levels higher than would normally be expected. It may be still seeping out of the soil in the area, or if the community depends on well water, may be present in (dissolved or entrained in) the water.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

The govt' who wants to control everything in my life seems to be in a hurry to brush this under the rug....

Though these symptoms are pronounced, neither SoCalGas nor the Department of Public Health has offered a definitive explanation of what is causing them. In fact, Dr. Cyrus Rangan, Director of the Bureau of Toxicology and Environmental Assessment at the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, recently issued a “Health Update” to “primary care, urgent care, internal medicine, and emergency medicine providers” in the area cautioning them against conducting tests on patients with symptoms.

The advisory, dated Tuesday, March 8, requested that healthcare professionals “look for alternate etiologies other than air contamination,” and “avoid performing any toxicological tests,” claiming “these are not recommended and are unlikely to provide useful data for clinical evaluation of patients.”

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-03-26/whats-happening-people-who-live-near-worst-gas-leak-us-history

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Don't forget, Frank - Gov Brown's sister is on the board of SoCalGas.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The govt' who wants to control everything in my life seems to be in a hurry to brush this under the rug....

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-03-26/whats-happening-people-who-live-near-worst-gas-leak-us-history

It sounds like these people need to seek independent sampling (air and soil samples, for starters),  testing, and medical help outside the immediate area. Test for benzene, mercaptans, and other contaminants known to linger (and cause symptoms like the residents are having), as well as other VOCs and the short chain hydrocarbon gasses (Methane and up).

It the county is going to try to brush this under the rug, they could be a defending party to any suit as well as run out of office for nonfeasance. They need competent attorneys from out of the area.

As much as I hate to suggest it (because I work in the oil industry), maybe the locals can get one of the environmental groups involved. This is the sort of thing they should be having apoplexies over, not a species birds that lives in 11 states. What is right is right, and any decent oil or gas company would fix it when they screw up, and make things right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline flowers

It sounds like these people need to seek independent sampling (air and soil samples, for starters),  testing, and medical help outside the immediate area. Test for benzene, mercaptans, and other contaminants known to linger (and cause symptoms like the residents are having), as well as other VOCs and the short chain hydrocarbon gasses (Methane and up).

It the county is going to try to brush this under the rug, they could be a defending party to any suit as well as run out of office for nonfeasance. They need competent attorneys from out of the area.

As much as I hate to suggest it (because I work in the oil industry), maybe the locals can get one of the environmental groups involved. This is the sort of thing they should be having apoplexies over, not a species birds that lives in 11 states. What is right is right, and any decent oil or gas company would fix it when they screw up, and make things right.
Erin Brockovich is helping.